FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Safety film/demo requirement (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1865188-safety-film-demo-requirement.html)

victairinternational Sep 5, 2017 4:38 am

Safety film/demo requirement

I just had an interesting chat with BA customer services about a recent flight with Qatar Airways during the strike period where we were shown a long-haul aircraft safety video on an A320 - therefore exit locations, raft information, life-jacket location information was incorrect.

The agent was adamant that this was not a breech of safety standards as the minimum requirement is that a safety card is at each seat. I was told that according to IATA and CAA that is all that is required and airlines choose to sometimes give a safety demo to enhance passengers' understanding. However, if the video system is broken etc, there is no requirement to deliver a demo.

I was pretty sure that this was wholly incorrect, can anyone point me to any regulation that a visual safety demo is required before commercial flights so that I can prove them wrong.

I was also told that it was fine for Qatar Airways wo have the J class curtain closed during taxi, take-off and landing and that cabin viewing requirements were not a thing! please let me know if they are wrong about this too.

Thanks

fransknorge Sep 5, 2017 5:19 am

You should contact the CAA directly, and copy the head of safety of British Airways, Tim Steeds.
Customer Relations knows nothing about safety (as you can see from their answer to you) and remark about safety should not be directed to them.

BrianDromey Sep 5, 2017 6:07 am

I would have thought that QR flights would be under the regulation of the Qatar CAA equivalent?

I must confess I have absolutely no knowledge of who that body might be, or what their regulations are.

Waterhorse Sep 5, 2017 6:21 am

Originally Posted by victairinternational (Post 28777999)
I just had an interesting chat with BA customer services about a recent flight with Qatar Airways during the strike period where we were shown a long-haul aircraft safety video on an A320 - therefore exit locations, raft information, life-jacket location information was incorrect.

The agent was adamant that this was not a breech of safety standards as the minimum requirement is that a safety card is at each seat. I was told that according to IATA and CAA that is all that is required and airlines choose to sometimes give a safety demo to enhance passengers' understanding. However, if the video system is broken etc, there is no requirement to deliver a demo.

I was pretty sure that this was wholly incorrect, can anyone point me to any regulation that a visual safety demo is required before commercial flights so that I can prove them wrong.

I was also told that it was fine for Qatar Airways wo have the J class curtain closed during taxi, take-off and landing and that cabin viewing requirements were not a thing! please let me know if they are wrong about this too.

Thanks

Before every take-off passengers must be given a verbal or audio-visual briefing on safety matters and be provided with safety briefing cards.

The safety briefing must include:
  • Smoking is not allowed anywhere on board BA aircraft.
  • Seat back must be in the correct position, and tray table stowed, for take-off.
  • Location and operation of emergency routes and exits including floor proximity path marking.
  • Stowage of hand baggage.
  • Restrictions on the use of mobile telephones and other portable electronic devices.
  • Location and contents of the safety briefing card.
  • Location and demonstrations of seat belts, life jacket and oxygen equipment.

It is also a requirement for the "Cabin Secure" checks to ensure that moveable dividers are stowed and that curtains are secured in the open position.

These are BA rules and as they are prefaced by the word "must" they are mandatory and irrespective of the minimaum legal requirement from the ANO, they are part of the operating manuals of BA as as such form part of the AOC for BAand cannot be overridden.

Where it's all gets difficult is when you involve another carrier operating under an AOC granted by a different Authority.

gingeola Sep 5, 2017 6:22 am

It's been a little while since I did Air Law but I'll have a go...

IATA does not regulate safety, it's just a trade association. Safety is regulated by the state under the guidance of ICAO.

A safety demonstration is required on a UK registered aircraft. Customer service would be wrong if this was a BA flight. They are probably wrong about QR aircraft too but I'm not certain.

On a BA aircraft the regulation you'd be looking for is contained in EASA Part-CAT. Specifically "CAT.OP.MPA.170 Passenger briefing". Page 126 in this document is a good place to start.

However, on a QR aircraft the Qatar CAA would be the governing body. I don't know their exact requirements however it will be based on ICAO Annex 6.

I think fransknorge is right, customer service is not the best avenue to follow with this, although proving them wrong might make you feel better. :D