Wiki Posts
Search

Awful food and service in CW

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2017, 11:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by Nuster
A jocular answer which attempts to cover up the lack of response to the substantive issues raised.If one constantly tries to goad those making constructive criticism at least have the depth to answer the issues raised beyond the usual "fly somewhere else" critical analytic.
I fear you're wasting your time! I think if there were an award for the lowest volume:substance ratio we all know who would win, must be dull in the pampas
NoY, Silver Fox, HMPS and 1 others like this.

Last edited by nallison; Sep 8, 2017 at 11:10 am
Old Sep 9, 2017, 5:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I agree with the sentiment you express. But I'm just not sure about the suggestion there may be grades of outrage, depending on the cabin where the call button is ignored.

Tant pis in economy through to heads must roll in first ?
Well I agree ignoring the call bell is bad regardless of cabin but it is unquestionable that one of the perks of business class in nearly any airline is better and more attentive service than you would get in economy so it is even more inexcusable. But yes, it is bad in any cabin.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 7:29 am

Programs: B A Gold
Change of subject ... But still a BA food issue. Choose porridge in First on way back from ORD and thought it was great .... Enjoyed so much asked for another but never found out what brand it was ! Would anyone know Please ?
Old Sep 10, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I wonder if the very average experience and more attractive alternatives are having an impact on the bkk route. Flew BA9 couple of weeks back and was told at check in it was 'empty' in all cabins. I was in WTP where 10 of 24 seats were occupied and the rear CW cabin was dead too. WT a bit busier but I imagine with people paying next to nothing.

Still, BA managed to make it a thoroughly forgettable flight. Service utterly perfunctory - including a couple of young boys who I could only imagine were suits covering for the strike - and the crew seemed like they'd rather be anywhere else but there. 772s have seen better days, only good thing was that - as with all my BA flights in recent months - a combination of TS and low loads means I never seem to have to sit next to anyone

The contrast with the CX and KA flights I took in the days which followed couldn't have been clearer.

That said - had a great flight back from PEK yesterday with a really engaged crew and some discreet but very thoughtful gold service in WTP. Constant water runs and a really engaged crew being well led. So it can be done.
orlando flyer likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 11:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by TimmyD
I wonder if the very average experience and more attractive alternatives are having an impact on the bkk route. Flew BA9 couple of weeks back and was told at check in it was 'empty' in all cabins. I was in WTP where 10 of 24 seats were occupied and the rear CW cabin was dead too. WT a bit busier but I imagine with people paying next to nothing.
I flew BA9 a couple of weeks back and CW was full - no idea about the other cabins.

I am doing five returns to Bangkok this year. Each time I have checked and checked and checked on the dates I need to fly and for J BA from AMS has consistently fitted my requirements and cheap. Yes, QR may have been cheaper, from VCE, with timings that didn't work great with a positioning flight from UK and an 8hr+ layover in DOH. AF/KL had some good fares from UK - checked their J product to BKK, it looked awful. AY had reasonable fares but A350 timings in and out of BKK seem awful. Might try them though as my circumstances in BKK have changed meaning these timings aren't much of an issue.

I generally find nothing to complain about with the BA9's I've taken. Food and drink satisfy me, I get 6-7 hours sleep in a decent bed (5A or 5K). IFE has always been good for me on these old 777-200s; they did have to do a global reset on my flight few weeks ago though which took about 10 minutes. Compare that to my return via BA32 from HKG on A380 - IFE was knackered for a lot of people in CW a few hours in (got my 9,000 avios today).

My mileage just seems to vary compared to most peoples experiences with BA9! I much prefer a longer flight than middle of the night break in the desert. If I fancy a change its CX from Europe if the price is right. I might try an EK/QF if I find a good TP earning fare, just try them.
smokie36 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Baec
An update.
Got an email today saying someone had tried to call me about my complaint but stupidly my contact details with the EC have my number with a digit wrong. My fault.
I'm wondering if this is because they do take my complaint seriously or because I didn't use the automated form for complaints and emailed them.
I am lowly silver if that makes any difference.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: BAEC GCH, Virgin Flying Club SCH
Originally Posted by Enigma368
Well I agree ignoring the call bell is bad regardless of cabin but it is unquestionable that one of the perks of business class in nearly any airline is better and more attentive service than you would get in economy so it is even more inexcusable. But yes, it is bad in any cabin.
It is bad in any cabin simply because the assumption should not be made that a passenger is after 'service' - whether it be a glass of wine with dinner, asking for a cushion, whatever.

It could also because a passenger may be unwell and in distress, and is pressing the button for attention, or a fellow passenger may be calling on someones behalf requiring the crews help.

So for the crew to just keep resetting the button isn't just a service issue, but they could also be ignoring a medical emergency which is a more serious event.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: GGLfL
Originally Posted by thinkingallowed
BA010 BKK-LHR

Not entirely sure what went wrong on this flight but the food and service were just an absolute disgrace.
Not sure when you travelled, but we flew on the same flight within the last 2 weeks and the experience sounds identical to yours.

Food was not good. In fact the choices were the same as you describe. Chicken satay on the menu, what was served was a couple of tiny prawns with a pot of sauce. Did not resemble satay one bit. The rest of the food was bad. The VLML turned out to be a vegan plate of boiled vegetables followed by cheap pasta with Dolmio sauce dumped on it. For my meal, they never took meal choice preferences so despite being GGL, two of the mains had gone by the time they reached row 5.

Crew were totally absent throughout. The CSM did his best to look at the floor and avoid eye contact throughout, no personal welcome, nothing, never addressed by name. The rest of the crew were lazy and hid for most of the flight. One of them was positively rude and addressed people with "You want food" as if we animals in a zoo.

I understand it is an unpopular flight to work and the crew made no secret of the fact they couldn't be bothered to do any service.

I did send in a complaint and received some avios back as compo with an apology about the lack of meal choice and the nasty VLML.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Baec
Originally Posted by MrSimonR
Not sure when you travelled, but we flew on the same flight within the last 2 weeks and the experience sounds identical to yours....

I did send in a complaint and received some avios back as compo with an apology about the lack of meal choice and the nasty VLML.
Hope you don't mind but I've copied and pasted your reply into my complaint to BA.

Sunday 3rd September was the date of my flight.

Last edited by thinkingallowed; Sep 13, 2017 at 11:27 am
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Well, at least the OP will know not to fly BA again...

As others have mentioned, the key is choice. Lots have made a choice to fly other carriers and they are happy with their choice, so enjoy!

No need to get into a willy waving contest over your choice of airline!
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Well, at least the OP will know not to fly BA again...

As others have mentioned, the key is choice. Lots have made a choice to fly other carriers and they are happy with their choice, so enjoy!

No need to get into a willy waving contest over your choice of airline!
Your new sig made me laugh!

I hope you are having more fun in your current job.
bafan likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by smokie36
Your new sig made me laugh!

I hope you are having more fun in your current job.
I did want to put something else in my signature, but thought better of it.

New job is amazing... I still have wings and am still in the air, so all good...
Old Sep 13, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
I did want to put something else in my signature, but thought better of it.

New job is amazing... I still have wings and am still in the air, so all good...
Good for you BingBongBoy. ^
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Nuster
To be more accurate, it was most complaints being met on here with the mantra of "BA is profitable". And you yourself played a large part in the chorus of ahbutters.

You have to question why is the airline improving food, service, bedding and even seating. Surely it's profitable anyway so why spend more? Perhaps it is because it could be more profitable or that management realizes it is damaging the brand? Or both?

Ah but......��
+1

Originally Posted by HIDDY
It's better to be a live dog than a dead lion.
Eh? That sounds deeper and more inscrutable than Confucius ;==========
===========
There are multiple posts similar to yours, many by you elsewhere. For one who admittedly does not fly BA that often nor does care about most major reasons important to FF in choosing an airlines, you do have a remarkable loyalty to BA.
BA prospers due to Good Service & Great food is news to most discerning flyers. One often wonders what is the impact of the drumbeat of "enhancements" to its bottom line.
Yes for now there are many fliers whose premium and Y fares are paid by companies who have contracted with BA for favourable terms or its quasi monopoly at LHR etc. Let the economy tighten and we will see .....Would you agree over the last two years, deserting BA posts have increased ?[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by nallison
I fear you're wasting your time! I think if there were an award for the lowest volume:substance ratio we all know who would win, must be dull in the pampas
+1 Oh I feel a closure approaching.
bafan and capin like this.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 4:25 pm
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by manymany
I flew BA9 a couple of weeks back and CW was full - no idea about the other cabins.

I am doing five returns to Bangkok this year. Each time I have checked and checked and checked on the dates I need to fly and for J BA from AMS has consistently fitted my requirements and cheap. Yes, QR may have been cheaper, from VCE, with timings that didn't work great with a positioning flight from UK and an 8hr+ layover in DOH. AF/KL had some good fares from UK - checked their J product to BKK, it looked awful. AY had reasonable fares but A350 timings in and out of BKK seem awful. Might try them though as my circumstances in BKK have changed meaning these timings aren't much of an issue.

I generally find nothing to complain about with the BA9's I've taken. Food and drink satisfy me, I get 6-7 hours sleep in a decent bed (5A or 5K). IFE has always been good for me on these old 777-200s; they did have to do a global reset on my flight few weeks ago though which took about 10 minutes. Compare that to my return via BA32 from HKG on A380 - IFE was knackered for a lot of people in CW a few hours in (got my 9,000 avios today).

My mileage just seems to vary compared to most peoples experiences with BA9! I much prefer a longer flight than middle of the night break in the desert. If I fancy a change its CX from Europe if the price is right. I might try an EK/QF if I find a good TP earning fare, just try them.
Just in case it's any use, QR also has Ł1250 ish fares to BKK from Oslo/Stockholm at the moment, with plenty of Dreamliner/A380 and 2hr layover combos available.
rossmacd and capin like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.