Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Awful food and service in CW

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Can I help you
What route please?
LHR-YVR - June 2016

I can't be bothered with an airline that allows its staff to get away with not only actively ignoring the call bell in business class but allows them to deliberately turn it off and ignore it, just because I was interrupting their conversation. And BTW I am not some demanding passenger who uses the call bell often or who had used it previously in this flight. I just thought that it would be nice to have some wine with my meal since they had forgotten to offer me and several other pax any. "To Fly, To Serve" - yeah right!
HMPS likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
That certainly isn't good enough but I thought your flight was more recent then that.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Enigma368
LHR-YVR - June 2016

I can't be bothered with an airline that allows its staff to get away with not only actively ignoring the call bell in business class
I agree with the sentiment you express. But I'm just not sure about the suggestion there may be grades of outrage, depending on the cabin where the call button is ignored.

Tant pis in economy through to heads must roll in first ?
Old Sep 7, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Flew back from PVG last week in CW in a 772 dorm with my family. The cabin was maybe 70% full so not bursting at the seams. I know that the flight was also F5 just before boarding on a 12F cabin so I suspect there weren't too many passengers in F as well.

The food wasn't bad to be honest and the quantities of food are so much better than a year or so ago. There was actually some salmon with my smoked salmon starter this time and there was actually too much cheese on my cheese plate.

However, the service was really poor, as per the OP's experience. Like BKK, this was a long flight (12 hours) with ample time for the cabin crew to provide a high quality service but it was just poor and slow throughout.

I saw the CSD just once throughout the whole flight when she came to take my meal order. She seemed to have de-camped to F for the rest of the flight and, every time the curtain was open to F she seemed to be chatting to one of the passengers (a BA staffer maybe?) rather than serving CW which I thought was her role.

Also, Highlife kept telling me about films supposedly "showing now on Highlife" that weren't actually available on the IFE on the old 772 we were on. My kids were getting really frustrated by this.

I can't be bothered to complain to BA because I know that it's not worth any of my time or effort - a very sad state of affairs.
Two points 1 Onsuch long haul the crew get a defined rest period so the argument that it was a long flight cannot be accepted for poor service.
That should not be the reason such poor service could / should be tolerated. Grant you most omplains get an innane reply not worth the space / time it took to write or read. But how will it ever change unless some manager does wake up someday and change it ?

Originally Posted by frenzie01
Whilst I think that level of service was below what most people would expect, I also think that you might be a bit 'higher maintenance' then most people.
SUre, blame the poster with assumptions. OP your reply was apropos ^

Originally Posted by seat1C
I remember coming back from India a number of years ago in First to be presented with a menu that had nothing but Indian main courses on it. I like Indian food, but after a couple of weeks had been looking forward to a taste from home, so ate off the Bistro menu. Couldn't do that now thanks to Snr Cruz...
You were lucky ! I specifically ordered Indian Veg meal, the starter appeared to be some sort of shriveled up egg roll looking thing. A polite enquiry to make sure it was veg. met with a stiff " I don't know".

Originally Posted by jasensteve
So Ive taken the plunge and cancelled all five of my J flights to BKK with BA and changed them to EK J .
You of course delivered the best recourse. It is a pity that the senior managers do not believe such desertions will not affect them materially. Time will prove them wrong.

Last edited by Prospero; Sep 7, 2017 at 11:47 am Reason: violation of rule 16
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by HMPS
It is a pity that the senior managers do not believe such desertions will not affect them materially. Time will prove them wrong.
I'm sure he's doing the right thing by giving another airline his money but lets not get carried away. Such desertions have taken place amongst Flyertalkers since the beginning of the century as have the predictions that the airline was bound to go bust as a consequence.
Yet years later it's never been financially healthier.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 1:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I'm sure he's doing the right thing by giving another airline his money but lets not get carried away. Such desertions have taken place amongst Flyertalkers since the beginning of the century as have the predictions that the airline was bound to go bust as a consequence.
To be more accurate, it was most complaints being met on here with the mantra of "BA is profitable". And you yourself played a large part in the chorus of ahbutters.

You have to question why is the airline improving food, service, bedding and even seating. Surely it's profitable anyway so why spend more? Perhaps it is because it could be more profitable or that management realizes it is damaging the brand? Or both?

Ah but......😩
Old Sep 7, 2017, 1:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Nuster
Ah but......😩
It's better to be a live dog than a dead lion.
Greenpen likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Nuster
To be more accurate, it was most complaints being met on here with the mantra of "BA is profitable". And you yourself played a large part in the chorus of ahbutters.

You have to question why is the airline improving food, service, bedding and even seating. Surely it's profitable anyway so why spend more? Perhaps it is because it could be more profitable or that management realizes it is damaging the brand? Or both?

Ah but......😩
+ 100
The recent "improvements" are a belated effort to catch up with the competitors... many forget while BA is playing catch up, others are innovating ! Witness the Q suites at QR.

There are multiple posts similar to yours, many by you elsewhere. For one who admittedly does not fly BA that often nor does care about most major reasons important to FF in choosing an airlines, you do have a remarkable loyalty to BA.
BA prospers due to Good Service & Great food is news to most discerning flyers. One often wonders what is the impact of the drumbeat of "enhancements" to its bottom line.
Yes for now there are many fliers whose premium and Y fares are paid by companies who have contracted with BA for favourable terms or its quasi monopoly at LHR etc. Let the economy tighten and we will see .....Would you agree over the last two years, deserting BA posts have increased ?
capin likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 3:38 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
Baffling isn't it?

More seriously, there are clear advantages to a direct flight but there is a point in all my choices where quality will trump convenience. I'm not saying that any particular carrier will always win my business or another will not come into play but in my circumstances a couple of extra hours on the journey time is a small price to pay to avoid an inferior experience.
Its not just the extra hours it's also the interupted sleep, getting on and off twice etc...

I can see why many would happily forgo better food and a bit more room in order to save time and inconvenience, I can also see why others would be more than happy to travel the extra mile to see what they percieve to be better value.

I probably skip between both channels of thought. As plane nerds I suspect we're more likely to accept the connecting route than the majority
Old Sep 7, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
I agree with the OP. To be fair to the person that wrote about the "high maintenance", they have came on and explained the comment and their reply clarifies it was to be intended in another way from what some initially thought. They were really genuine and sincere.

Now I'm about to book hotel in Bengaluru (Bangalore). So what has this got to do with this thread? Well, it is about price/expectations or price/performance ratio.

so tonight .....
I go to hotels.com and click on 4* and 5* so I get the 4.5's and the 5's. I'll trade a 4 or 4.5 for closeness to the venue.

Nice hotel comes up Taj at the airport (stayed there before and it is great but a bit of a drive every morning) so weigh up the nice price vs the BLR traffic. :-)

Then compare the exceptional modern quality of the Shangri-la and Oberoi vs the charm of the Taj west end or ITC Windsor. The Windsor is getting old but I like the staff and the "banter" in the bar. So I weigh up quality vs the international sterility. verses PRICE. I discount the Windsor because it is just getting too shabby (this is the BA of hotels, used to be a contender).

Brand wise? Choose an Accor in India (hell no) or a radisson (probably not) or an ITC (maybe) or a Taj (absolutely).

So back to flights. OP pays for flights and books a premium flight at a premium price (hence the price performance analogy). They have chosen a premium brand (hence the brand expectation above).

Imagine in a top brand hotel and being in the premier restaurant and having to ask (and be ignored a few times) for service etc etc etc. Would you put up with that in a hotel. Absolutely not.

In the cheaper hotels you may. but in a 5* hotel then NO. And before anyone says BA is not 5*, it charge those prices in CW.

So the OP should expect and be delivered better service of a cash CW seat.

I fly Y LH so I'm just glad the plane is on time :-)
LostAntipod and HMPS like this.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 9:27 am

Location: Usually LAX or SFO but sometimes MIA in the winter or LCY or PVK in the summer and every now and then SIN or SGN
Programs: in ASM, APL & C++ but never Java
FWIW the CW food on 283 yesterday was atrocious, but service excellent and arrival early.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Its not just the extra hours it's also the interupted sleep, getting on and off twice etc...

I can see why many would happily forgo better food and a bit more room in order to save time and inconvenience, I can also see why others would be more than happy to travel the extra mile to see what they percieve to be better value.

I probably skip between both channels of thought. As plane nerds I suspect we're more likely to accept the connecting route than the majority
TBH where I am located I have very limited options for direct flights so it's usually a choice between different connecting routes rather than a straight direct/indirect decision. Usually that comes to down to whether I want 2 medium length flights or a short hop and then a much longer flight or vice versa.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
Normally, cheaper fares also.
This is a significant factor (alongside the others regarding service, experience, quality, etc). For my flights to BKK later this year I had many choices, and went for EY (in J) at a price that was literally half that of BA. It was a no-brainer. (FWIW, the ex-EU BA prices were still a lot more than the EY price).
Old Sep 8, 2017, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by GlasgowCyclops
I agree with the OP.
SNIPPED
So back to flights. OP pays for flights and books a premium flight at a premium price (hence the price performance analogy). They have chosen a premium brand (hence the brand expectation above).

SNIPPED

In the cheaper hotels you may. but in a 5* hotel then NO. And before anyone says BA is not 5*, it charge those prices in CW.

So the OP should expect and be delivered better service of a cash CW seat.

I fly Y LH so I'm just glad the plane is on time :-)
+1

Bolding mine.
Your comparisons are spot on.

You are correct in that BA is not a 5 star airline ( was once, hope it returns). Unfortunately the aura of prior glory years & loyalist have mislead the public .
I would go farther than the "cash price"....after paying 270000 avios BA lightens your wallet to the tune of $ 1100 +. Add the less than good seats, food, service & LHR hassles, it ain't no three star airline!
Old Sep 8, 2017, 10:25 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
It's better to be a live dog than a dead lion.
A jocular answer which attempts to cover up the lack of response to the substantive issues raised.If one constantly tries to goad those making constructive criticism at least have the depth to answer the issues raised beyond the usual "fly somewhere else" critical analytic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.