Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 294 ORD - LHR returns to ORD after engine incident

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA 294 ORD - LHR returns to ORD after engine incident

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by njwalsh
That's certainly the way my wife felt about it. She was on the flight, in Club World on the upper deck. She heard a loud bang and further smaller bangs that continued for 10-15 seconds after the original noise. The plane shuddered but didnt seem to experience any immediate significant change in direction or altitude. Flames could be seen coming from the malfunctioning engine, and a smell of burning was in the cabin. The plane returned to ORD, circled to dump fuel and landed safely. One passenger required emergency medical attention upon landing. We're going back to ORD to try again this evening.
Welcome to FlyerTalk njwalsh. Thanks for making your first contribution here today, as you are the first eye witness to this engine "incident" we have. :-)

Already looking forward to your future posts. ^
PETER01 and rapidex like this.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
Should be a nice €600 for each pax, why can't I be on flights like these?
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Jamier45
Should be a nice €600 for each pax, why can't I be on flights like these?
Because you get offloaded to often^
Petrus, Deanog1976 and Calchas like this.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rapidex
Because you get offloaded to often^
That's only happened once, I also like to say I was 'offloaded' as I didn't even get on the damned thing!
rapidex likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Dear Mr Jamier,
thank you for your e-mail to us. We are sorry it has taken us so long to respond, as we wished to investigate your claim thoroughly, and we are currently very busy, although your e-mails are important to us..
Thank you for flying with BA.
We have carefully examined the events that you describe, and we have to reject your claim for Compensation.
The events that you describe were not within BA's control, they form an exceptional circumstance, so we are not liable for compensation.
I realise that this is not the reply that you wanted. However, you will understand that we treat all customers fairly. We are unable to make an exception in this case.
I look forward to you flying with BA again.

Yours B Goaway.
Calchas and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
There is nothing wrong with 3 engine flights across the Pond. The CAA and EASA are quite clear about that. However, the FAA might have been grumpy again. They get grumpy with furriners.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: BA Gold
Wouldn't they have to ferry in the maintenance people, tooling, and the actual engine
Surges have lots of different possible causes and although they look and sound dramatic often don't do damage requiring an engine change, indeed they don't necessarily require the engine to be shut down in flight.

It wouldn't be unusual for the engineers to have a quick(ish) look inside the engine with a borescope (small camera on a flexible wand) and if everything is OK then off it goes again.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Sounds frightening nevertheless.

Anyone know how much one of these engines cost?
Old Sep 4, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by headingwest
Sounds frightening nevertheless.

Anyone know how much one of these engines cost?
The RB211-524 isn't a current production engine so we could look at scrap values: This older version of the RB211 on eBay went for $35,000 ... RB211

OK it's not quite the same... well not the same at all but that's one extreme.

If we look at a brand new Trent 900 that would power the A380 list price is in the region of $20 million ish for the engine, if you just want the engine. But many (most/ almost all) modern engines are acquired as a service package and stated values are typically in the region of $45 million over the contract life for Rolls Royce "Total Care".
Old Sep 4, 2017, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by worldtrav
Classic engine stall, the word explosion needs to be removed from the thread title.
Yea, they happen all the time, nothing to see here.

Last edited by Petrus; Sep 4, 2017 at 12:23 pm
Old Sep 4, 2017, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Pickles
Yea, they happen all the time, nothing to see here.
Let's not forget that most of us, even those flying a lot, will never experience an engine surge.
I am a very frequent flyer with a solid understanding of flight, airplanes and airmanship. Yet an engine surge would freak me out initially also, and then IF the failure was contained with no flames or smoke coming I'd probably figure out what had happened.

So saying "they happen all the time, nothing to see here" is quite the simplification, n'est pas?
Geordie405, Calchas and SaraJH like this.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Petrus
So saying "they happen all the time, nothing to see here" is quite the simplification, n'est pas?
I guess the sarcasm didn't come through then. Engine surges aren't supposed to happen, as far as I know.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Pickles
I guess the sarcasm didn't come through then. Engine surges aren't supposed to happen, as far as I know.
Ah! ^
Old Sep 4, 2017, 12:28 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I'm sure an expert will be along to inform us that a BA engine explosion/incident equates to cost cutting.
And blame Indian outsourcing.
Greenpen likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
As far as the plane stability is concerned, this is a total non event in a 3 engine plane. Surge happens, engine shut off. That is probably why the passenger did not notice any change in altitude!

However seeing fire from a plane window can never be a pleasant experience!

So the issues here are psychological, not physical.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.