Best Seat in 747 First with Children

Old Sep 3, 17, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club
Best Seat in 747 First with Children

Hi All

We're about to book flights for next years holiday to New York. We'll be in First on a 747 both ways. We are travelling as a family (2 adults plus 12 and 10 year old daughters).

Would it be best to book rows 2 and 3 where its 1-1 or book all four seats across the row in rows 4 or 5?

Also if we go for all four seats across a row, do the middle seats have a removable divider in the middle seats to allow you to talk to the person next door?

This will be our first time flying BA First. We normally do Virgin Upper Class in the nose of the 747 for holidays. How does BA First compare to Virgin Upper in the nose of the 747?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 3, 17, 11:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum, Lufthansa and Virgin
I would go for 4 across. The kids could have their own seat and will enjoy it a lot to be by themselves. Being in the nose in BA F is a real nice experience. There are fewer seats than in Virgins Upper class so it will be quieter.
Old Sep 3, 17, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
If the girls are happy to sit apart (most seem only too pleased) go for row 5.
Old Sep 3, 17, 11:41 am

Programs: BA Gold (OneWorld Emerald)
Lucky kids! Would also suggest row 5. Enjoy.
Old Sep 3, 17, 11:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
I'd personally go for rows 2 and 3 with an adult behind each one then every one will have a window but row 5 at least your all in a line.

Decisions decisions eh?

Oh and welcome to Flyeralk and the BA Board SpeakFlyer.

There are loads and loads of videos of BA First on youtube so worth a look as is the forum Dashboard on the main page. There's really no bad seat in F and BA F in my view is way ahead of Virgin Upper Class which is really a business product. Remember you will obviously have access to the Concorde Room etc
Old Sep 3, 17, 11:48 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
If, on the other hand, you prefer a more intimate and secluded mini-cabin, personally I'd take 1a/k and 2a/k. Getting both row 1 seats means at least two of you need to be Gold if booking both row 1 seats.*

Edit: or you get lucky at ~T-72h and both row 1 seats are still available.
CaroFos likes this.

Last edited by Howard Long; Sep 3, 17 at 11:54 am
Old Sep 3, 17, 11:49 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
There are 14 suites just as on BA in the nose of a VS LGW 747, with the main difference being that there are only five down each side of the cabin with two pairs in the centre (on BA) where the bar is on the VS aircraft. As for seats I agree row five would suit you best and the cabin is generally quieter on BA as I tend to find the VS more has a party/ holiday atmosphere.
Old Sep 3, 17, 1:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Howard Long View Post
If, on the other hand, you prefer a more intimate and secluded mini-cabin, personally I'd take 1a/k and 2a/k. Getting both row 1 seats means at least two of you need to be Gold if booking both row 1 seats.*

Edit: or you get lucky at ~T-72h and both row 1 seats are still available.
I'm with Howard... Rows 1 and 2 would be perfect if you can do it.. you can all be in close proximity with noone else in your space!
Old Sep 3, 17, 3:01 pm

Programs: BA
I think it really depends on what the four of you like to do in-flight. The buddy seat is nice for a chat or taking lunch/dinner together but otherwise I'd go for rows 1&2 or 2&3 and enjoy four great solo seats. The seats in the middle of the cabin feel rather exposed.
Old Sep 3, 17, 6:14 pm

Programs: BA (GGL), AA (statusless), HH (Diamond);
If both you and your wife are gold or OWE, I would do 1AK and 2 AK if available. Otherwise I would recommend something like 2/3/4/5K... the middle seats have less space on the 747. For what it's worth we did 3A/4A/5AEF and then 1A and 2/3/4/5K on the return and we preferred the latter.
Old Sep 3, 17, 6:39 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold, IHG - Spire Ambassador
When I took my kids (similar age) in First, they sat in 1 A/K and I sat in 2A. These seats were great for them as I could keep an eye on them but also no one walks past the seats so they are quieter. Row 5 is nearest the galley so there may be more noise.
Old Sep 4, 17, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club
Thanks for all the comments.

We aren't Gold or OWE so row 1 is not an option.

Do the middle seats allow you to talk to the person sat next to you easily when the divider is down? I'm struggling to find a good photograph or video that shows it.
Old Sep 4, 17, 6:42 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by PJSMITH0 View Post
There are 14 suites just as on BA in the nose of a VS LGW 747, with the main difference being that there are only five down each side of the cabin with two pairs in the centre (on BA) where the bar is on the VS aircraft. As for seats I agree row five would suit you best and the cabin is generally quieter on BA as I tend to find the VS more has a party/ holiday atmosphere.
I would agree. While I haven't flown on a VS 744 for some years, the layout for those remaining looks like that of their old LGW 744 fleet, with just the nose having Upper. I agree that the BA F cabin affords a significantly quieter cabin, predominantly because of the bar. While I enjoy the bar on VS and other carriers, the set up in the remaining VS 744s isn't great if you're looking forward to some sleep as the noise carries throughout the Upper cabin.

Despite the criticism of the seat in F, compared to the VS Upper suite there is significantly more personal space in F. The personal attention from crew is also far better, and, again despite the criticisms of BA, the food and bev offerings in F are far better than you'd ever hope to receive in VS Upper.

Having said that, at Heathrow, personally I prefer the VS Clubhouse to the CCR. The CCR, while having better booze, is staffed by a third party caterer. While third party lounge catering can work, I find it doesn't work very well in T5 particularly in terms of a service, with largely disinterested and apparently demotivated staff going through the motions.

If you compare that service, to the Clubhouse in T3, or Qatar's lounge in T4, or even Malaysia's in T4 (MH's lounge is outsourced), it's a different story, where staff actually seem to care.
Old Sep 4, 17, 6:54 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Depends on how you want/need the flight to go. Do you need to keep an eye on them, do you want them to sit together (will that help them pass the time or will they get too excited), and do you want to sit with your wife?

If you need to keep an eye on them at the front, they'll have to be in row 1 with you in row 2, and you can't really converse with your wife in 2AK.

If that's important, you'd be better off across row 5 (next best row 4), adults in the centre; or put your 12 year old one window forward if they'll want to occasionally interact (K+K better than A+K).
Old Sep 4, 17, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I always used to think row 5 was the worst choice, and my wife and I always took 1A/K or 2A/K when it was "just us". But last year with our two kids to Denver and back, we took 5A/E/F/K and it was perfect.

My wife and I sat in the middle and could chat away, with the kids (very young) in the window seats... So we could control their windows and still "see out" - plus we could all see each other. And if we were getting up and going to each other's seats, there was no disturbance to the other passengers in the cabin.

Only problem is I think the seat manager tool on BA.com has stopped people selecting 5F unless travelling with a baby needing the bassinet. I've got it booked for the outbound to LAS next year, but try as I might, it will not let me select it on the flight back from PHX - saying it's only selectable by a person travelling with an infant...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: