Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Someone remind me how it works again...Avios generated on AA ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Someone remind me how it works again...Avios generated on AA ticket

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2017, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Avis President
Smile Someone remind me how it works again...Avios generated on AA ticket

Thinking about massive tier point run out of INV to SEA via LHR, JFK and LEA

1000 tier points for a little over £2k...can't be ignored...

There is a difference of about £200 if you book with AA instead of BA. OK tier points are unaffected, but Avios generation...

If you are travelling on a ticket bought from AA and then flying on BA metal on a code share out of INV to LHR, then how does it work...??

Do you get the Avios based on who you bought the ticket from or on the metal you are flying...am I going to get the BA generated Avis for that sector or the AA ones...??

Chris
Old Sep 3, 2017, 10:35 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Chris_G
Thinking about massive tier point run out of INV to SEA via LHR, JFK and LEA

1000 tier points for a little over £2k...can't be ignored...

There is a difference of about £200 if you book with AA instead of BA. OK tier points are unaffected, but Avios generation...

If you are travelling on a ticket bought from AA and then flying on BA metal on a code share out of INV to LHR, then how does it work...??

Do you get the Avios based on who you bought the ticket from or on the metal you are flying...am I going to get the BA generated Avis for that sector or the AA ones...??

Chris
You get avios and TP for a flight based on the marketing airline. If you bought a BA operated flight under the AA codeshare then AA is the marketing airline.

You can check earnings by using the online calculator on BA.com by putting each flight in.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 10:36 am

The Avios earning are negligible between AA and BA coded flights. I would book whatever is the cheapest, and forget about Avios.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
You get avios and TP for a flight based on the marketing airline. If you bought a BA operated flight under the AA codeshare then AA is the marketing airline.

You can check earnings by using the online calculator on BA.com by putting each flight in.
OK, then if I buy this ticket from BA, can I assume that I will receive BA level Avios when travelling from JFK to LAX on AA metal...??
Old Sep 3, 2017, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Chris_G
OK, then if I buy this ticket from BA, can I assume that I will receive BA level Avios when travelling from JFK to LAX on AA metal...??
It isn't who you bought it from. What is the flight number of the flight on your ticket? AA or BA? Whichever one is listed is the marketing carrier.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 10:52 am
Original Poster

I doff my cap at your knowledge...

However, the BA Avios calculator doesn't return a result for F class (which I'll be travelling) on the JFK to LAX sector...although it does for AA...

J is the highest it spits out for BA...

Should I assume that I will be capped at J on the sector when on a BA marketed but AA metal flight on this sector...??

Chris
Old Sep 3, 2017, 10:59 am

You should earn at the correct rate for your selling class. I assume whoever did that table for BA forgot that there are still some AA domestic services with F/A selling class.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Double doff...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.