Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding – experiences and reactions

Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: makin'miles
New Club World Service 2017

Effective July 6, 2018, new bedding products expected to be on all Club World flights, worldwide (including LHR, LGW and LCY services).

New catering and bedding

Routes on which the new catering and bedding are in operation.
Launched October 2017
London Heathrow - New York JFK
Launched February 2018 (all from London Heathrow LHR):
Boston (BOS), Baltimore (BWI), Dubai (DXB), Newark (EWR), Philadelphia (PHL), Washington (IAD), Hong Kong (HKG)
Launched March 2018 (LHR)
San Francisco (SFO), Los Angeles (LAX), San José (SJC), San Diego (SAN). Las Vegas (LAS), Phoenix (PHX), Seychelles (SEZ from 25 March)
Launched 4 April 2018 (LHR)
Houston (IAH), Miami (MIA), Dallas Fort Worth (DFW), New Orleans (MSY).
Launched 1 May 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched on DEN, ATL, SEA, YVR)
Denver (DEN), Atlanta (ATL), Austin (AUS), Nassau-Grand Cayman (NAS-GCM), Seattle (SEA), Vancouver (YVR), Calgary (YYC), Nashville (BNA)
Launched 17 May 2018 (LHR) - (Catering previously launched on ORD, YUL, YYZ)
Toronto (YYZ), Montréal (YUL), Chicago (ORD)
Launched 1 July 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched on CPT, JNB, SIN, SIN-SYD)
Cape Town (CPT), Johannesburg (JNB), Singapore (SIN), Singapore-Sydney (SIN-SYD)
Launched 1 August 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Abu Dhabi (AUH), Bahrain (BAH)
Launched 1 September 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Delhi (DEL), Kuwait (KWI), Muscat (MCT)
Launched 1 October 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Buenos Aires (EZE), Jeddah (JED), Mexico City (MEX), Rio de Janeiro (GIG), Riyadh (RUH), Santiago (SCL), Sao Paulo (GRU), Tokyo Haneda (HND), Tokyo Narita (NRT)
Launched 28 October 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Abuja (ABV), Accra (ACC), Bangkok (BKK), Bangalore (BLR), Beijing (PEK), Chennai (MAA), Hyderabad (HYD), Kuala Lumpur (KUL), Lagos (LOS), Mumbai (BOM), Nairobi (NBO), Shanghai (PVG)

Launched 2018
London City (LCY) - New York (JFK)

Bedding only routes (as of 31 May 2018)
Bedding now launched on all LHR services
AMM, BEY, CAI, DME, DOH, ICN, IKA, LAD, TLV (IKA and LAD routes subsequently terminated; catering on remaining LHR routes expected to launch in December 2018).

LGW routes: White Company products expected to be on all LGW flights effective 06 July 2018, at which time all Club World routes worldwide will feature the new bedding product (see post 1367). Reports that new bedding loaded on LGW-JFK in late June (see post 1349).
Print Wikipost

New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding – experiences and reactions

Old Nov 21, 2018, 11:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, UA Premier Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Various Rental Car Statuses
So how are things going with the hand carried service? Faster? Slower? The predicted issues with drink top ups?
Old Nov 22, 2018, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Faster and better in every way.
windowontheAside and argonath like this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 4:24 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by MTJ Bound
So how are things going with the hand carried service? Faster? Slower? The predicted issues with drink top ups?
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Faster and better in every way.
I flew to the east coast yesterday and the service seemed to take an age. I say seemed, as I had been shunted from the first row to the last on a 772, and that may well explain it (did I read here something to the effect that the crew-passenger ratios are worse on the triple?). It was over an hour from wheels up to getting a drink (the crew were out of their seats within ten mins or so), starter arrived about 1hr40, main 2hr10, cheese or desert (crew adamant about the or) about 2hr50 with the tray cleared up about 15 mins later. There was no proactive offer of any drinks top ups but these were delivered when requested.

Overall, I’d rather they just went back to the old trollies that got clunked up and down the aisle. It all seemed much quicker (and again I emphaise seemed). I appreciate that there was apparently a desire to offer a more tailored service - and some elements of that are undeniably better vis the food quality, bigger better wine glasses and tumblers - but I’d rather have quick cheerful service. Perhaps the new plates, glasses or whatever wouldn’t fit into the old trollies?

I was also amused by the large advertisement in (I think) T5B as you emerge from the transit which shows a glass of wine and says something like ‘We know when you need another. Club World - intuitive service’.

Old Nov 24, 2018, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by BA235

Overall, I’d rather they just went back to the old trollies that got clunked up and down the aisle. It all seemed much quicker (and again I emphaise seemed). I appreciate that there was apparently a desire to offer a more tailored service - and some elements of that are undeniably better vis the food quality, bigger better wine glasses and tumblers - but I’d rather have quick cheerful service. Perhaps the new plates, glasses or whatever wouldn’t fit into the old trollies?

You and me both. The problem is the old club service was tried and tested for years and years. Crew absolutely had it down so it could be bashed out in about 2 hours max, even on a Super Hi J. However, I see where the company is coming from in terms of it not being particularly 'premium', which we can all admit it wasn't. The new catering is much better than where we were previously, and I genuinely believe hand running is the way forward - those new style trollies were an absolute pain to set up, take down and operate. It genuinely is faster and better. We all have to recognise, though, that everyone is always going to have differing opinions, so, whilst you wish we'd clunk up and down the aisle with our heavyweight trollies, the person next to you trying to get some sleep really doesn't.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We would love to have the new china, glasses and food served from the old trolleys but BA don’t want this even though we were able to offer a quicker service with everything to hand.
You are correct the B777-200 4 class aircraft has the worst ratio of crew to customer and we do struggle to serve everyone in good time, saying that the lastest service is quicker and the crew seem more relaxed and focussed on the customer.
BA235 likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 4:49 am

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks both. I suspect my experience is related mostly to being in Row 15 on the 777. And I did notice, to be fair, that the left hand CSM-controlled aisle seemed to have much snappier service; perhaps the young woman on my side was still learning the ropes.

Oh, and the bedding is excellent.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 7:44 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, UA Premier Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Various Rental Car Statuses
Originally Posted by Can I help you
We would love to have the new china, glasses and food served from the old trolleys but BA don’t want this even though we were able to offer a quicker service with everything to hand.
You are correct the B777-200 4 class aircraft has the worst ratio of crew to customer and we do struggle to serve everyone in good time, saying that the lastest service is quicker and the crew seem more relaxed and focussed on the customer.
how many crew for the J cabin? Where are the best premium cabin ratios?
Old Nov 24, 2018, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by MTJ Bound

how many crew for the J cabin? Where are the best premium cabin ratios?
4 inc the CSM/CSD on the 772. Best ratio is probably the 74 UD where you have 2 crew to 20 pax.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 8:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MFCC

4 inc the CSM/CSD on the 772. Best ratio is probably the 74 UD where you have 2 crew to 20 pax.
Not really a big difference 1:10 vs 1:12.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The best ration is on the B787-8 where it is 4 crew for 35 customers.
MFCC likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 8:43 am

Any date on the new service coming to the remaining LHR routes? I have a TLV-LHR just before Christmas and curious if it’ll be the new menu (but no pre-ordering inbound to LHR, so can’t see what will be served).
Old Nov 24, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can see the menus for December and it has the new catering and service.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 8:59 am

An early Christmas gift- thank you CIHY!
Old Dec 1, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Hi All - Made a video trip report of my recent Heathrow - Philadelphia trip, featuring the “new” bedding and food.

tattikat2, KARFA, tedcruz and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Had a couple of trips with new bedding, food & definitely much nicer. I am actually a fan of everything CW !

Nice video - good job ! 👍

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.