Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding – experiences and reactions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: makin'miles
New Club World Service 2017

Effective July 6, 2018, new bedding products expected to be on all Club World flights, worldwide (including LHR, LGW and LCY services).

New catering and bedding

Routes on which the new catering and bedding are in operation.
Launched October 2017
London Heathrow - New York JFK
Launched February 2018 (all from London Heathrow LHR):
Boston (BOS), Baltimore (BWI), Dubai (DXB), Newark (EWR), Philadelphia (PHL), Washington (IAD), Hong Kong (HKG)
Launched March 2018 (LHR)
San Francisco (SFO), Los Angeles (LAX), San José (SJC), San Diego (SAN). Las Vegas (LAS), Phoenix (PHX), Seychelles (SEZ from 25 March)
Launched 4 April 2018 (LHR)
Houston (IAH), Miami (MIA), Dallas Fort Worth (DFW), New Orleans (MSY).
Launched 1 May 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched on DEN, ATL, SEA, YVR)
Denver (DEN), Atlanta (ATL), Austin (AUS), Nassau-Grand Cayman (NAS-GCM), Seattle (SEA), Vancouver (YVR), Calgary (YYC), Nashville (BNA)
Launched 17 May 2018 (LHR) - (Catering previously launched on ORD, YUL, YYZ)
Toronto (YYZ), Montréal (YUL), Chicago (ORD)
Launched 1 July 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched on CPT, JNB, SIN, SIN-SYD)
Cape Town (CPT), Johannesburg (JNB), Singapore (SIN), Singapore-Sydney (SIN-SYD)
Launched 1 August 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Abu Dhabi (AUH), Bahrain (BAH)
Launched 1 September 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Delhi (DEL), Kuwait (KWI), Muscat (MCT)
Launched 1 October 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Buenos Aires (EZE), Jeddah (JED), Mexico City (MEX), Rio de Janeiro (GIG), Riyadh (RUH), Santiago (SCL), Sao Paulo (GRU), Tokyo Haneda (HND), Tokyo Narita (NRT)
Launched 28 October 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Abuja (ABV), Accra (ACC), Bangkok (BKK), Bangalore (BLR), Beijing (PEK), Chennai (MAA), Hyderabad (HYD), Kuala Lumpur (KUL), Lagos (LOS), Mumbai (BOM), Nairobi (NBO), Shanghai (PVG)

Launched 2018
London City (LCY) - New York (JFK)

Bedding only routes (as of 31 May 2018)
Bedding now launched on all LHR services
AMM, BEY, CAI, DME, DOH, ICN, IKA, LAD, TLV (IKA and LAD routes subsequently terminated; catering on remaining LHR routes expected to launch in December 2018).

LGW routes: White Company products expected to be on all LGW flights effective 06 July 2018, at which time all Club World routes worldwide will feature the new bedding product (see post 1367). Reports that new bedding loaded on LGW-JFK in late June (see post 1349).
Print Wikipost

New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding – experiences and reactions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Hoping someone can advise on the following :

LHR-SJC in CW does this get afternoon tea, sandwiches & scones ? Silly I know but something I enjoyed in the past.

BOS-LHR CW (BA212) - what is served on this flight ? Full dinner ? Full breakfast ? Or is this a sleeper service route with limited catering ?

Thanks.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by THEOBCMAN
BOS-LHR CW (BA212) - what is served on this flight ? Full dinner ? Full breakfast ? Or is this a sleeper service route with limited catering ?
Thanks.
According to BA's website, the only Sleeper service from BOS is BA202, BA214
Old Aug 13, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
so picking up on the LGW thread - it really is behind the times. I flew LGW to YYZ yesterday and got upgraded from PE to biz. . The safety video was still the old one replaced a month ago on the LHR fleet. Drinks were by tray, but the meal was the old biz food with stingy portion of smoked salmon and overcooked beef filet which was more like a roast beef than steak. Afternoon tea was the usual prepacked sandwiches, and bizarrely no clotted cream with the scone. When I asked for it, one crew member said it had been stopped to save money (unlikely as the scone is the only decent thing about the tea) and another said supply issues recently had resulted in "off" cream being served (more credible given the weather) Given the shelf life of clotted cream - how could the caterer and the supplier get it wrong.
We had the new bedding and the new toiletries bag - but this hybrid / transitional service shows how LGW is always second. For the leisure routes - I understand there may be no rush (other than Virgin mopping up on the West Indies), but for NY and Toronto where punters have a choice, you think they would close the gap!
Old Aug 13, 2018, 4:42 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VIPorter, VIA Preference: Privilčge, Air Canada Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Mikey Mike Mike
so picking up on the LGW thread - it really is behind the times
See my recent separate post about this route in the other direction. Impressions of crew really not good, and terrible food in my experience. I did at least get the new safety vid!
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:14 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
BA287 to SFO on 9th Aug had both new catering and bedding.

Bedding is a big improvement particularly the pillow.

Catering is lipstick on a pig.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 5:14 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
As I've said on here more than once LGW is always has & always will play 2nd fiddle with never any rush to catch up, at least by commonly held perception, with new service levels. After this long and even factoring in that it's a different caterer at LGW I see zero reason aside from laziness & cost cutting, for the new food service not to have been introduced by now.

Ironically the only time LGW came 1st with anything recently was a cabin refresh when they densified the 777 fleet. I'm guessing that the powers that be realised that if sardines were to be packed tighter in the can that even they, BA, would need some way to dress things up to not look so bad. I'm actually curious to see how many AUP's are dished out for our LGW-PUJ flight on 2nd Sept as as it stands Mrs Clam & I are the only ones with booked seats in the BC cabin. It would be lovely to have the cabin to ourselves but I doubt it will happen ( weight distribution alone will prevent that I think?) & I'm not one for resenting anyone whose lucky enough to get something we paid for for free in the vain hope that sometime in the future karma will pay me back. I'm not sure how the new 'super sized WTP' cabin with its 52 seats looks bookings wise but it looks like the densification is working even with BA dragging their heels on providing the new food service so unfortunately I think it remains a case of 'hurry up & wait' for LGW pax to see the new service.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:25 am

I used to regret the elimination of the MAN - LGW flights, but it seems being re-routed to LHR has been beneficial
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:32 pm

Its been some time since any new catering routes were launched ex-LHR. Any insights on when we might see the next ones?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The latest update is that the new catering started on the AUH and BAH routes on the 1st August.
makin'miles likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:49 pm

That's very helpful - thanks! I'll update the wiki.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 5:08 pm

Programs: BA Silver
LHR/LAS BA271 13th August. New bedding which I didn’t use because the upper deck was so hot. OH commented that the blankets are the same ones used by AA on their TATL flights in J.
Food, what an improvement since April. Had preordered the steak and OH the Cod.
Bread roll was presented on a nice plate with accompanying butter first. Then starter tray was brought around, I had the corn soup which was delicious and was asked if I wanted to try thing else on the tray which I declined.
I’m not that fussy with airline food and will eat most anything put in front of me as long as it doesn’t look a mess. so the steak was fine. And I do realize it is not possible to cook steak to any degree of perfection at 36k feet. OH said her cod was delicious.
I had the cheese board and a quite nice port to go with it.
The big surprise was the second meal served 2 hours before landing. Usually this has always been a cold sandwich and cream tea, not this time. The starter of prawn salad was hearty enough that my wife had no room after that for the main. I went straight for the chicken and mash. This was supposed to be a lighter meal but it was huge, and very very tasty indeed.
I suppse now that some will moan that they have done away with the cream tea.
I made sure I let the CSM know that I was most impressed.
Well done BA.

Last edited by moneypooraviosrich; Aug 16, 2018 at 5:14 pm
Old Aug 17, 2018, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Nice report moneypooraviosrich - I am on the 271 next Saturday, UD, so other than the temperature all sounds great! Was the aircraft clean / in a decent condition? I know one of the Mid-Js has been spruced up and allegedly the deep cleans are on going
Old Aug 17, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Nice report moneypooraviosrich - I am on the 271 next Saturday, UD, so other than the temperature all sounds great! Was the aircraft clean / in a decent condition? I know one of the Mid-Js has been spruced up and allegedly the deep cleans are on going
I don’t look too closely at the cleanliness of aircraft, as long as my seat area is clean what more could I look for.
So yes my area was clean, the table on the other hand was a devil to get out, we had to use a knife to release it from the catch. The toilets have White Company toiletries.

Bring your own films. Apart from all the new releases which to be honest are dire, there was a total of 5, yes 5 films under the title “film library”

Unfortunaly i cant download any more stuff from my Amazon Prime account on the way back because of geographical restrictions, and the clever sods even pick up me using a VPN and block it.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: BA GGL
Not sure if this hasn't been mentioned already, I was talking to a Gatwick CSM on a long haul overnight back from the US on Thursday. Apparently the new service is expected towards the end of this year/early next year at LGW and will be entirely hand-run and this has been trialled on an A380 to Vancouver recently, with each deck having a different service.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Silver
I had the new bedding both ways between PHL and LHR. I quite liked it.

On the other hand, I was a bit disappointed by the "new" catering. For the daytime flight from LHR to PHL, the menu card listed several starter choices; however, the CC gave me a verbal choice of two (with the clear expectation I would choose only one). In particular, no salad or soup was offered, despite being listed on the menu card. No choices were wheeled down the aisle.

For afternoon tea, the menu listed a choice of scone (plain or fruit), but I was not given a choice.

To clarify, when I say I was "disappointed", this is mostly by reference to my expectations, as set in the wiki and CWS's review in the first few posts of this thread. The reality is that the food was actually good. There wasn't much of it, but it was presented well and tasted good. They even managed to cook the steak well, even without the FT instructions. I think what I was served is much better than the larger quantities of mediocre food you receive on one or more other airline(s).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.