Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding – experiences and reactions

Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: makin'miles
New Club World Service 2017

Effective July 6, 2018, new bedding products expected to be on all Club World flights, worldwide (including LHR, LGW and LCY services).

New catering and bedding

Routes on which the new catering and bedding are in operation.
Launched October 2017
London Heathrow - New York JFK
Launched February 2018 (all from London Heathrow LHR):
Boston (BOS), Baltimore (BWI), Dubai (DXB), Newark (EWR), Philadelphia (PHL), Washington (IAD), Hong Kong (HKG)
Launched March 2018 (LHR)
San Francisco (SFO), Los Angeles (LAX), San José (SJC), San Diego (SAN). Las Vegas (LAS), Phoenix (PHX), Seychelles (SEZ from 25 March)
Launched 4 April 2018 (LHR)
Houston (IAH), Miami (MIA), Dallas Fort Worth (DFW), New Orleans (MSY).
Launched 1 May 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched on DEN, ATL, SEA, YVR)
Denver (DEN), Atlanta (ATL), Austin (AUS), Nassau-Grand Cayman (NAS-GCM), Seattle (SEA), Vancouver (YVR), Calgary (YYC), Nashville (BNA)
Launched 17 May 2018 (LHR) - (Catering previously launched on ORD, YUL, YYZ)
Toronto (YYZ), Montréal (YUL), Chicago (ORD)
Launched 1 July 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched on CPT, JNB, SIN, SIN-SYD)
Cape Town (CPT), Johannesburg (JNB), Singapore (SIN), Singapore-Sydney (SIN-SYD)
Launched 1 August 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Abu Dhabi (AUH), Bahrain (BAH)
Launched 1 September 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Delhi (DEL), Kuwait (KWI), Muscat (MCT)
Launched 1 October 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Buenos Aires (EZE), Jeddah (JED), Mexico City (MEX), Rio de Janeiro (GIG), Riyadh (RUH), Santiago (SCL), Sao Paulo (GRU), Tokyo Haneda (HND), Tokyo Narita (NRT)
Launched 28 October 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Abuja (ABV), Accra (ACC), Bangkok (BKK), Bangalore (BLR), Beijing (PEK), Chennai (MAA), Hyderabad (HYD), Kuala Lumpur (KUL), Lagos (LOS), Mumbai (BOM), Nairobi (NBO), Shanghai (PVG)

Launched 2018
London City (LCY) - New York (JFK)

Bedding only routes (as of 31 May 2018)
Bedding now launched on all LHR services
AMM, BEY, CAI, DME, DOH, ICN, IKA, LAD, TLV (IKA and LAD routes subsequently terminated; catering on remaining LHR routes expected to launch in December 2018).

LGW routes: White Company products expected to be on all LGW flights effective 06 July 2018, at which time all Club World routes worldwide will feature the new bedding product (see post 1367). Reports that new bedding loaded on LGW-JFK in late June (see post 1349).
Print Wikipost

New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding – experiences and reactions

Old Apr 1, 2018, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by jimmyw9
For me it is quality over quantity....... but thats just me...... I'm just sayin'
in my view both have significantly improved with the new service at least on the routes I use which have it.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Well you could be bothered to start and follow a thread about it here (which I'm glad about ), so I don't see much difference in effort to completing the online form...
You get more sympathy here, and the people that matter at BA are more likely to get his feedback this way.

Originally Posted by Can I help you
You can choose one, two or three of the starters or desserts but we would have to wait until we have served everyone before serving the third choice.
Understandable, but wow, isn't it a shame that this round of 'BA launches initiative with great fanfare, then cut backs within a few months" isn't a surprise? The difference between what was promised on the press flight vs 'you can have any leftovers' isn't massive from a consumption perspective, but totally different from a customer perception position.

Last edited by 710 77345; Apr 1, 2018 at 4:16 am
Old Apr 1, 2018, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by 710 77345
You get more sympathy here, and the people that matter at BA are more likely to get his feedback this way.
Really - do you have a source for this? Or is this just an inflated sense of our own importance here on FT?
Old Apr 1, 2018, 5:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Well you could be bothered to start and follow a thread about it here (which I'm glad about ), so I don't see much difference in effort to completing the online form...
Far more productive to post on here; others can compare and contrast and make their purchasing decisions accordingly and the platitudinous but ineffectual BA complaint response is avoided!
Old Apr 1, 2018, 2:19 pm

I flew LHR-HKG (BA27) on 14th March.

I only fly long haul in CW once a year on average, so I'm not the most experienced traveller in business class. Going to share my opinions anyway I like the new bedding. Although the mattress topper thing isn't very thick, I really like it. It feels so much better to lie on that (and knowing it's very clean!) compared to directly on the seat. New pillow and duvet are great. Don't find a use for the blanket though. I got a good night's sleep. The new eye-mask helps as well as I found it very comfortable.

I found the new products in the amenity bag confusing. I ended up putting a load of what turned out to be lip balm on my hands, and couldn't work out what was now in the container that looked like the old lip balm. The new bag is an improvement as I'll use them for storing cables/adapters and other small items.

Food and service was good. Had the "old style" food on the way back (31st March, BA28) and the quality change was obvious; the new food offering is much better. I've uploaded some photos of the food from BA27 (and the ploughman's from the FRA-LHR flight I took before LHR-HKG).

Ploughman's, FRA-LHR

G&T pre-dinner drink

Duck starter

Pork "Jingdu" main

Seafood congee/zhou breakfast
Old Apr 4, 2018, 2:41 pm

I posted some mixed comments about my outbound LHR-JFK upthread last Thursday evening so I thought it would be wise to post some thoughts about my return JFK-LHR on Sunday night.

After a fantastic weekend spent with friends (I am in NYC almost monthly for work, but this time was purely leisure which was brilliant), I was in good spirits, literally, after having an enjoyable dinner/drinks in the city before heading to JFK T7. The GF lounge has been temporarily closed for some time now, but this was the first time I was given a small token/card at the lounge reception to get a "premium" drink whilst in the GC lounge - apparently only given to Golds who would otherwise be in GF. Sadly, the premium fizz was warmer than the lounge itself, and was sent back. I don't think the bottle had seen a fridge in quite a few hours. Thankfully, I was only in the lounge about 20mins prior to boarding.

Boarding was handled smartly - Group boarding was strictly enforced at gate 3. Sleeping tablet was taken whilst walking down jet bridge. Arranged my minimal belongings into 10A and got changed into sweat pants for sleep before boarding complete. Bottle of water handed out, amenity kit refused. Menus and breakfast card also then refused - nippy sweety Scottish crew member couldn't comprehend that I did not want anything to eat/drink except a cup of tea 15 minutes out. She wasn't particularly enamored with me for some reason.

Pushed back 5 minutes early - fairly swift taxi out. No waiting for takeoff, then bed down before the gear was up. New bedding was good, as I have reported before. Slept the full way to London until 20 minutes to landing upon wakening by my new friend. Quick change and cup of tea on approach. Arrived onto a remote stand, and after some amount of faffing around by the CSD at doors open - "get on with it" was heard from behind me. Bus to A gates saved the walk/transit from C.

Overall, flight met expectations - no need for any service at all, just get me to sleep as quickly as possible then don't disturb me until the last minute. Happy flyer ^
Old Apr 4, 2018, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by rossmacd
...Menus and breakfast card also then refused - nippy sweety Scottish crew member couldn't comprehend that I did not want anything to eat/drink except a cup of tea 15 minutes out. She wasn't particularly enamored with me for some reason...
Just a thought I had - maybe she wanted to look after you and was disappointed that you were so self-reliant and didn't want her service. Glad your flight exceeded expectations, sounds like a great trip rounded off nicely ^
Old Apr 4, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum
I flew LHR-SFO on Saturday, we had the new service and bedding.

We were sitting in row 52 of the A380 upper deck. A few points from my trip:

- Service took approx 3 hours from take off to completion. That wasn’t an issue for me given the flight lengths
- The trolley was used for both starters and desserts
- The crew did not offer multiple starters. I had the broccoli soup. Which was excellent.
- They ran out of the Roast Cod, so my Wife never got her first choice. She said the beef was dry. Roast Cod was a nice dish.
- The new desserts were good
- The crew handed out magnums to everyone as well, which was well received by our group.
- Second Service had a tomato and mozzarella salad starter and chicken mashed potatoes main, which I really enjoyed.
- New bedding was good, didn’t use the matteress topper as it was a day flight.

My my only gripe is that the crew really struggled dealing with the fact I didn’t want alcohol. The rest of our group did and their glasses were well topped up.

i managed to get three drinks on full flight. Plus on my request for the second, the crew member said he was a little busy to get me a drink. At no point was a pro active top up offered and on the second service I was left with an empty glass before the main meal was served.

My impression was that the fact the service doesn’t want you having cans/bottles on the tray, plus the use of those small cans means I miss out or am seamed too hard work. I actually got more to drink on an 90 minuted UA Domestic F flight today.

Apart from that it was really good. It was my in laws first J flight and they thought it was fantastic.

Looking forward to seeing the service on the 789 next week.

adrianlondon likes this.

Last edited by Samaras; Apr 4, 2018 at 6:30 pm
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Does anyone know what the current menu is on the day flight JFK-LHR (BA178)? There were some menus posted well upthread, but these date back to Sept/Oct 2017, so wondering how much it would change. Have some fussy eaters travelling with me, though for various reasons am somewhat loathe to go down the special meal route on a breakfast-time long haul flight.

Any insight appreciated.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 11:33 pm

Just a thought I had - maybe she wanted to look after you and was disappointed that you were so self-reliant and didn't want her service. Glad your flight exceeded expectations, sounds like a great trip rounded off nicely ^
I certainly don't think so. She was just one of those BA crew who have been around the block too long.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 11:44 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Report from BA31 (LHR-HKG). Service wasn’t complete until 4 hours after take off. Too long.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 11:57 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by Samaras
- The crew handed out magnums to everyone as well, which was well received by our group.
For a second I was wondering how they could fit so many large bottles on board!

Had the new new bedding on DEL-LHR earlier this week, agree with others that it is such an improvement over what came before. Can’t comment on food as it was a 2am departure so I just wanted to sleep.
rockflyertalk and Samaras like this.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 12:01 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Originally Posted by Oaxaca
Does anyone know what the current menu is on the day flight JFK-LHR (BA178)? There were some menus posted well upthread, but these date back to Sept/Oct 2017, so wondering how much it would change. Have some fussy eaters travelling with me, though for various reasons am somewhat loathe to go down the special meal route on a breakfast-time long haul flight.

Any insight appreciated.
This is what the menu is on the BA173 (1120) tomorrow from LHR to JFK.

Old Apr 5, 2018, 12:12 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Does anyone know which are the the Do&Co routes?
Old Apr 5, 2018, 3:41 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by Foofighter69
Does anyone know which are the the Do&Co routes?
JFK only

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.