Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding – experiences and reactions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: makin'miles
New Club World Service 2017

Effective July 6, 2018, new bedding products expected to be on all Club World flights, worldwide (including LHR, LGW and LCY services).

New catering and bedding

Routes on which the new catering and bedding are in operation.
Launched October 2017
London Heathrow - New York JFK
Launched February 2018 (all from London Heathrow LHR):
Boston (BOS), Baltimore (BWI), Dubai (DXB), Newark (EWR), Philadelphia (PHL), Washington (IAD), Hong Kong (HKG)
Launched March 2018 (LHR)
San Francisco (SFO), Los Angeles (LAX), San José (SJC), San Diego (SAN). Las Vegas (LAS), Phoenix (PHX), Seychelles (SEZ from 25 March)
Launched 4 April 2018 (LHR)
Houston (IAH), Miami (MIA), Dallas Fort Worth (DFW), New Orleans (MSY).
Launched 1 May 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched on DEN, ATL, SEA, YVR)
Denver (DEN), Atlanta (ATL), Austin (AUS), Nassau-Grand Cayman (NAS-GCM), Seattle (SEA), Vancouver (YVR), Calgary (YYC), Nashville (BNA)
Launched 17 May 2018 (LHR) - (Catering previously launched on ORD, YUL, YYZ)
Toronto (YYZ), Montréal (YUL), Chicago (ORD)
Launched 1 July 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched on CPT, JNB, SIN, SIN-SYD)
Cape Town (CPT), Johannesburg (JNB), Singapore (SIN), Singapore-Sydney (SIN-SYD)
Launched 1 August 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Abu Dhabi (AUH), Bahrain (BAH)
Launched 1 September 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Delhi (DEL), Kuwait (KWI), Muscat (MCT)
Launched 1 October 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Buenos Aires (EZE), Jeddah (JED), Mexico City (MEX), Rio de Janeiro (GIG), Riyadh (RUH), Santiago (SCL), Sao Paulo (GRU), Tokyo Haneda (HND), Tokyo Narita (NRT)
Launched 28 October 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Abuja (ABV), Accra (ACC), Bangkok (BKK), Bangalore (BLR), Beijing (PEK), Chennai (MAA), Hyderabad (HYD), Kuala Lumpur (KUL), Lagos (LOS), Mumbai (BOM), Nairobi (NBO), Shanghai (PVG)

Launched 2018
London City (LCY) - New York (JFK)

Bedding only routes (as of 31 May 2018)
Bedding now launched on all LHR services
AMM, BEY, CAI, DME, DOH, ICN, IKA, LAD, TLV (IKA and LAD routes subsequently terminated; catering on remaining LHR routes expected to launch in December 2018).

LGW routes: White Company products expected to be on all LGW flights effective 06 July 2018, at which time all Club World routes worldwide will feature the new bedding product (see post 1367). Reports that new bedding loaded on LGW-JFK in late June (see post 1349).
Print Wikipost

New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding – experiences and reactions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2018, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Why, was it rolled out too soon?
Not rolled out too soon but difficult to deliver, also this is the first time that MF crew have had a chance to deliver this, the PHL, ORD, YYZ and 239/8 BOS flights are MF routes.

Last edited by Can I help you; Feb 2, 2018 at 9:50 am
Old Feb 2, 2018, 4:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Hi there CIHY - please feel free to comment in as much, or as little, detail as you wish or are able..........but I do wonder just what level of resource (time + money) is currently made available within BA crew training division.

We’re talking about a new style of onboard service that was (apparently) very successfully delivered on the ‘inaugural’ route as far back as the very first day of September 2017. And yet here we are, a full five months on .........

Old Feb 2, 2018, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by subject2load
Hi there CIHY - please feel free to comment in as much, or as little, detail as you wish or are able..........but I do wonder just what level of resource (time + money) is currently made available within BA crew training division.

We’re talking about a new style of onboard service that was (apparently) very successfully delivered on the ‘inaugural’ route as far back as the very first day of September 2017. And yet here we are, a full five months on .........
Successfully......when viewed by whom? The customer or the supplier?

In any case you know there are issues when it takes so long to roll out bedding which is a fairly straightforward purchase......
Old Feb 2, 2018, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by simons1

In any case you know there are issues when it takes so long to roll out bedding which is a fairly straightforward purchase......
I guess I meant ‘successfully’ in as much as first-hand reports of the new JFK service were - in the main - very positive, and gave much encouragement to pax like myself looking to fly on other routes.

Re your second para : Do I assume that you wouldn’t want to see BA organising new linen for a 500-bed hotel ..? They might have managed enough for two or three rooms by now.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by simons1
Post #1 claims it was successfully delivered on day 1
Old Feb 2, 2018, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by subject2load

I guess I meant ‘successfully’ in as much as first-hand reports of the new JFK service were - in the main - very positive, and gave much encouragement to pax like myself looking to fly on other routes.

Re your second para : Do I assume that you wouldn’t want to see BA organising new linen for a 500-bed hotel ..? They might have managed enough for two or three rooms by now.
Indeed...if I read behind the comments on here it looked good to the customer, but was probably over-engineered in a room at Waterside Towers by some project 'expert', and cannot be delivered at scale. To be at 9 routes after 5 months (8 of which were yesterday) doesn't sound that great a step forward.

As for the bedding, well is it really that hard?

To be honest this all sounds like politics, new investments 'puffed' over and over again but in reality little has changed. At this pace of roll out it should be landing at Gatwick some time in 2020 I imagine.
T8191 likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Post #1 claims it was successfully delivered on day 1
In the eyes of the customer, yes. That is if you count an inaugural flight as being in some way typical of the day to day business of the airline..

It doesn't say it was successful in the eyes of the airline though. Nor that the airline consider it a sustainable business model. In fact I would suggest that fact that 5 months passed and the service was still only being delivered on a single business route suggests there are issues behind the scenes. If properly planned it doesn't take 5 months to roll out things like this, and if you read into the comments from the likes on CIHY I would perceive that all is not well on this project.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 9:16 am

It would be interesting to get some feedback on how the new service on the new routes differed from that outlined by CWS so many months ago. Apart from the loss of the 3in1 bread roll and the proper salt and pepper (which I still can't really understand the reasons for)
Old Feb 2, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Is it not possible that for once BA decided to trial things rather than just jumping in with both feet first?
Maybe it is a case of fine tuning rather than some behind the scenes issue?

If BA had brought it out across the fleet at the same time, I bet loads here would be still complaining about this and that

Hopefully it is a trial and error thing. I would rather have a half decent experience than find loads of issues that result in things not being loaded, extended service when you want to sleep etc.

As for the salt n pepper, perhaps they were losing a few too many, or like the 3 bread rolls, weren't that viable customer requirement, cost and production wise? I've never put salt and pepper on anything food product in an aircraft.
SussexFly likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by xenole
Is it not possible that for once BA decided to trial things rather than just jumping in with both feet first?

”Fine tuning” ..... ? Sure, a perfectly sensible approach, in principle.

But five months later and still barely a handful of routes currently live ........ ?

This project team were not asked to design and construct a new high-speed rail link in the Scottish Highlands.
It’s about a new way of serving lunch. (yes, yes, onboard a moving aircraft, I know ; that’s meant to be one of BA’s areas of expertise)

Old Feb 2, 2018, 9:40 am

If BA had brought it out across the fleet at the same time, I bet loads here would be still complaining about this and that

Hopefully it is a trial and error thing. I would rather have a half decent experience than find loads of issues that result in things not being loaded, extended service when you want to sleep etc.

As for the salt n pepper, perhaps they were losing a few too many, or like the 3 bread rolls, weren't that viable customer requirement, cost and production wise? I've never put salt and pepper on anything food product in an aircraft.
I'm not fussed about the salt and pepper either, but some people seem to be. The 3in1 rolls seemed to get lots of positive feedback, which is why I can't understand the reason for getting rid of those. Unless of course, as you say, it's a cost thing. But surely they knew the cost at the start of the trial?

I'm all for them doing a trial to iron everything out - but why have such a blaze of publicity at the trial stage if everything might change? I don't think it's unreasonable to compare what was unveiled to the public to what's now being offered up, and I'm not saying any changes will be bad, it would just be interesting to know what they are.
choosethedrew likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 9:42 am

Usually, trials aren't plastered all over a company's website or publicised hard/celebrated by a CEO.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by cosmo74
I'm all for them doing a trial to iron everything out - but why have such a blaze of publicity at the trial stage if everything might change?
The answer to that is obvious.

BA were so far underwater with negative press - they needed to change the narrative. Even if it meant shouting about something they weren't completely ready to shout about.

I don't think any business would have done anything differently - you publicise the latest greatest thing even if only 1% of your customers can actually make use of it on day 1. Better to have the demand and turn it away than to not have anyone know about it.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Virazuno
Usually, trials aren't plastered all over a company's website or publicised hard/celebrated by a CEO.
But this isn't a trial as such. A trial is something you might go on with or not.

This is something BA are committed to rolling out - but are doing in a staged way while learning from the challenges of it.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by MPH1980
But this isn't a trial as such. A trial is something you might go on with or not.

This is something BA are committed to rolling out - but are doing in a staged way while learning from the challenges of it.
I just had to double-check that you didn’t cut & paste this from ba.com

But .... no ....... I give you full credit for it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.