Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding – experiences and reactions

Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: makin'miles
New Club World Service 2017

Effective July 6, 2018, new bedding products expected to be on all Club World flights, worldwide (including LHR, LGW and LCY services).

New catering and bedding

Routes on which the new catering and bedding are in operation.
Launched October 2017
London Heathrow - New York JFK
Launched February 2018 (all from London Heathrow LHR):
Boston (BOS), Baltimore (BWI), Dubai (DXB), Newark (EWR), Philadelphia (PHL), Washington (IAD), Hong Kong (HKG)
Launched March 2018 (LHR)
San Francisco (SFO), Los Angeles (LAX), San Josι (SJC), San Diego (SAN). Las Vegas (LAS), Phoenix (PHX), Seychelles (SEZ from 25 March)
Launched 4 April 2018 (LHR)
Houston (IAH), Miami (MIA), Dallas Fort Worth (DFW), New Orleans (MSY).
Launched 1 May 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched on DEN, ATL, SEA, YVR)
Denver (DEN), Atlanta (ATL), Austin (AUS), Nassau-Grand Cayman (NAS-GCM), Seattle (SEA), Vancouver (YVR), Calgary (YYC), Nashville (BNA)
Launched 17 May 2018 (LHR) - (Catering previously launched on ORD, YUL, YYZ)
Toronto (YYZ), Montrιal (YUL), Chicago (ORD)
Launched 1 July 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched on CPT, JNB, SIN, SIN-SYD)
Cape Town (CPT), Johannesburg (JNB), Singapore (SIN), Singapore-Sydney (SIN-SYD)
Launched 1 August 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Abu Dhabi (AUH), Bahrain (BAH)
Launched 1 September 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Delhi (DEL), Kuwait (KWI), Muscat (MCT)
Launched 1 October 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Buenos Aires (EZE), Jeddah (JED), Mexico City (MEX), Rio de Janeiro (GIG), Riyadh (RUH), Santiago (SCL), Sao Paulo (GRU), Tokyo Haneda (HND), Tokyo Narita (NRT)
Launched 28 October 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Abuja (ABV), Accra (ACC), Bangkok (BKK), Bangalore (BLR), Beijing (PEK), Chennai (MAA), Hyderabad (HYD), Kuala Lumpur (KUL), Lagos (LOS), Mumbai (BOM), Nairobi (NBO), Shanghai (PVG)

Launched 2018
London City (LCY) - New York (JFK)

Bedding only routes (as of 31 May 2018)
Bedding now launched on all LHR services
AMM, BEY, CAI, DME, DOH, ICN, IKA, LAD, TLV (IKA and LAD routes subsequently terminated; catering on remaining LHR routes expected to launch in December 2018).

LGW routes: White Company products expected to be on all LGW flights effective 06 July 2018, at which time all Club World routes worldwide will feature the new bedding product (see post 1367). Reports that new bedding loaded on LGW-JFK in late June (see post 1349).
Print Wikipost

New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding – experiences and reactions

Old Sep 5, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I was wondering why we are naming a route ICI/DuPont......................

On the route choice, given that most folk eat at JFK and want to sleep on the plane, this "experiment" is only addressing half a route. I guess Hyderabad/Addis might be a little trickier to organise.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I queried that too. It took 15 months of planning to get to 1 September 2017, which for those familiar with large organisations or government departments isn't a long as it sounds. What I think has happened is that BA have not 100% agreed this with Do&Co and all the details, and want a good trial on NYLON before committing to wider implementation. If it does go to more places there are very complex logistics involved, in terms of ordering hundreds of thousands of items of catering equipment and kitchen adjustments in dozens of locations all over the planet. Just ordering, buying, taking delivery and putting into service the nifty bread basket will take months from start to finish. Just how it is with large organisations.

Can't say it sounds particularly convincing to me, in all honesty c-w-s. And nor do I for one moment believe that all large organisations (including other airlines) move at this pedestrian pace. I do however sometimes get the impression that changes at BA which involve spending money on developments which will benefit customers take rather more time to implement than those which might benefit the airline. The two are not always one & the same.

I'm pretty sure there are many dynamic industries where a manager offering that sort of explanation for the delay in rollout would be told to go away, think again, and come back with better solutions.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Well, this is BA that we are talking about.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by subject2load
Can't say it sounds particularly convincing to me, in all honesty c-w-s. And nor do I for one moment believe that all large organisations (including other airlines) move at this pedestrian pace. I do however sometimes get the impression that changes at BA which involve spending money on developments which will benefit customers take rather more time to implement than those which might benefit the airline. The two are not always one & the same.

I'm pretty sure there are many dynamic industries where a manager offering that sort of explanation for the delay in rollout would be told to go away, think again, and come back with better solutions.
If I were being a cynic, I'd say it's to allow BA plenty of time to trial it on NYLON to work out if they can make any 'enhancements' before rolling it out more widely.
GaxxyFlyer likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by subject2load
I do however sometimes get the impression that changes at BA which involve spending money on developments which will benefit customers take rather more time to implement than those which might benefit the airline. The two are not always one & the same.
Buy on board took some time from rumour to air and not all shorthaul routes have it yet.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
If I were being a cynic, I'd say it's to allow BA plenty of time to trial it on NYLON to work out if they can make any 'enhancements' before rolling it out more widely.
Hmm ....... hadn't thought of it in those terms.

But putting any cynicism to one side, I guess realistically there are three possibilities as to how the 'final version' will look once eventually it is ready for network-wide rollout (whenever that might be) :

A. exactly as per NYLON trial

B. NYLON trial, but with some additions/further improvements

C. NYLON trial, but with some BA-speak 'enhancements'

Which will it be, I wonder ?
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Calchas
Buy on board took some time from rumour to air and not all shorthaul routes have it yet.
..and not all ET rows have it yet either...
dnajockey, orbitmic, T8191 and 7 others like this.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
]However I am inclined to add "Please rollout more quickly" into the feedback to BA.
While there have apparently been logistical issues with the colour of the new CW blankets, I do hope the roll-out of the new bedding and amenity kits will not be as drawn out - surely that should be significantly less complicated.

Separately, WTP first meal service includes a "Club World Main." On JFK flights, does anyone know if WTP passengers are receiving these new Do+Co CW mains, or the old CW mains?
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by makin'miles
Separately, WTP first meal service includes a "Club World Main." On JFK flights, does anyone know if WTP passengers are receiving these new Do+Co CW mains, or the old CW mains?
That is an excellent question, I have and exJFK WTP in 3 weeks but hopefully someone can answer this before then.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 10:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by makin'miles
The old CW mains, on the previous plating. See post 2.
makin'miles likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I took the 8:30 flight on Saturday morning to JFK, food definitely a big step up than before. The breakfast service did not receive the 3in1 roll but the bread offered was very tasty and no signs of the previous rock hard over cooked parts.

Personally I'm a big fan of the new glasswear, feels more stable and most importantly holds more than previous offering!

Food service started about 35 minutes into the flight and took 45 minutes from start to trays being cleared away.

Cannot comment on the service last night on my return as I was out cold before takeoff, only briefly waking to recline the seat about 3 hours in.

Posting this from my phone so apologies if photos do not work.
Attached Images    
Old Sep 5, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Garuzle
I took the 8:30 flight on Saturday morning to JFK, food definitely a big step up than before.
I agree, it looks much nicer! Were the starter cart based too? How was the exotic fruit plate?
Old Sep 5, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Credit where credit is due, the photos in this thread show that this is a definite improvement presentation. I particularly like the glassware.

It certainly looks nicer to see everything on display, but my only concern is that in the winter you might get someone coughing and spluttering all over the food!
Old Sep 5, 2017, 1:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I agree, it looks much nicer! Were the starter cart based too? How was the exotic fruit plate?
Yes the starters bare rought out on the cart. Tea and coffee orders were taken along with main course choices and brought out with the tray.
Cannot recall what the fruit plate looked liked.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 1:43 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Garuzle
Posting this from my phone so apologies if photos do not work.
They have come out fine, thanks for the update, and at least you had a good sleep on your return!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.