Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding – experiences and reactions

New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding – experiences and reactions

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 21, 18, 5:46 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: makin'miles
Wiki Link
New Club World Service 2017

Effective July 6, 2018, new bedding products expected to be on all Club World flights, worldwide (including LHR, LGW and LCY services).

New catering and bedding

Routes on which the new catering and bedding are in operation.
Launched October 2017
London Heathrow - New York JFK
Launched February 2018 (all from London Heathrow LHR):
Boston (BOS), Baltimore (BWI), Dubai (DXB), Newark (EWR), Philadelphia (PHL), Washington (IAD), Hong Kong (HKG)
Launched March 2018 (LHR)
San Francisco (SFO), Los Angeles (LAX), San José (SJC), San Diego (SAN). Las Vegas (LAS), Phoenix (PHX), Seychelles (SEZ from 25 March)
Launched 4 April 2018 (LHR)
Houston (IAH), Miami (MIA), Dallas Fort Worth (DFW), New Orleans (MSY).
Launched 1 May 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched on DEN, ATL, SEA, YVR)
Denver (DEN), Atlanta (ATL), Austin (AUS), Nassau-Grand Cayman (NAS-GCM), Seattle (SEA), Vancouver (YVR), Calgary (YYC), Nashville (BNA)
Launched 17 May 2018 (LHR) - (Catering previously launched on ORD, YUL, YYZ)
Toronto (YYZ), Montréal (YUL), Chicago (ORD)
Launched 1 July 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched on CPT, JNB, SIN, SIN-SYD)
Cape Town (CPT), Johannesburg (JNB), Singapore (SIN), Singapore-Sydney (SIN-SYD)
Launched 1 August 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Abu Dhabi (AUH), Bahrain (BAH)
Launched 1 September 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Delhi (DEL), Kuwait (KWI), Muscat (MCT)
Launched 1 October 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Buenos Aires (EZE), Jeddah (JED), Mexico City (MEX), Rio de Janeiro (GIG), Riyadh (RUH), Santiago (SCL), Sao Paulo (GRU), Tokyo Haneda (HND), Tokyo Narita (NRT)
Launched 28 October 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Abuja (ABV), Accra (ACC), Bangkok (BKK), Bangalore (BLR), Beijing (PEK), Chennai (MAA), Hyderabad (HYD), Kuala Lumpur (KUL), Lagos (LOS), Mumbai (BOM), Nairobi (NBO), Shanghai (PVG)

Launched 2018
London City (LCY) - New York (JFK)

Bedding only routes (as of 31 May 2018)
Bedding now launched on all LHR services
AMM, BEY, CAI, DME, DOH, ICN, IKA, LAD, TLV (IKA and LAD routes subsequently terminated; catering on remaining LHR routes expected to launch in December 2018).

LGW routes: White Company products expected to be on all LGW flights effective 06 July 2018, at which time all Club World routes worldwide will feature the new bedding product (see post 1367). Reports that new bedding loaded on LGW-JFK in late June (see post 1349).
Print Wikipost

Old May 18, 18, 4:44 pm

Regardless of old or new service, does anyone have the same problem as I do with the tiny salad dressing bottle? Each time it's screwed in so hard, with such small cap I always have trouble unscrewing to open it. (Embarrassingly) I've always had to open it by covering the cap with the cloth napkin, and unscrewing by gripping it with my teeth! Aside from bringing your own mini plier, is there a more elegant way of doing so?
Sealink and T8191 like this.
Old May 18, 18, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you View Post
<div style="text-align:left;">From today 17th May the following routes will have The White Company bedding onboard.<br />AUS, BWI, MSY, ORD, YUL, YYC, YYZ</div>
<br /><br />And i can confirm the presence of new bedding on BA98 tonight out of YYZ
Old May 19, 18, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice View Post
Regardless of old or new service, does anyone have the same problem as I do with the tiny salad dressing bottle? Each time it's screwed in so hard, with such small cap I always have trouble unscrewing to open it. (Embarrassingly) I've always had to open it by covering the cap with the cloth napkin, and unscrewing by gripping it with my teeth! Aside from bringing your own mini plier, is there a more elegant way of doing so?
We also always struggle with this. On our last flight our lovely cabin crew showed us her trick to make it easier to open. She just tapped it on the side of the seat and then easily opened it for us. I'm waiting for my next long haul to try it out. Just hope I won't spill it over the lovely bedding that is promised , well mentioned by CIHY who I trust! , for LGW later this year.
Old May 19, 18, 10:36 am

Programs: BA Silver
Thumbs up

I have started carrying cap/jar gripping plastic "cloth" when I travel. It takes no space and if the table allows my glass to glide I place my glass on the gripper for, well, grip so I do not end up with a drink in my lap. It also does a good job helping me get a grip on any bottle cap to unscrew.
wrp96 likes this.
Old May 19, 18, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I use the ‘tap the cap on a hard surface’ at home with many jars, but that doesn’t overcome the micro-engineering of the completely joined cap. At home I use a small sharp knife to cut the ‘connective material’, but that’s not a cabin option!

I shall ask CC to assist in future ... playing the ‘old and incapable’ card
Sealink and wrp96 like this.
Old May 19, 18, 11:28 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
(Embarrassingly)
The salad dressing bottle and the double (why?) plastic tags on the White Bedding can indeed be a trial. In a way it's too small. For the salad bottle, you can wedge it into the TV ledge, press firmly on the TV so the bottle is held tight, and then twist the bottle. Or ask a member of cabin crew, they have more experience of dealing with this.
Old May 19, 18, 11:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by seeyouinsea View Post
I did it on May 4th, a few days after the new service was introduced. UD on a 747. The food was good but oh my goodness was it slow.
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA board. Thanks for confirming this, and I hope very much we will see you not just in Washington but also in this forum. Welcome on board.
Old May 19, 18, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
... the double (why?) plastic tags on the White Bedding can indeed be a trial.
Exactly! When I couldn’t open that on two occasions, and called upon a crew member for help, she knew exactly what the problem was, whipped out a pen with strong handle and used that to - with some effort - pry open the red tags. Imagine she had to do this for half the cabin.
Old May 19, 18, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The double red seals have now been replaced with single blue ones.
Old May 21, 18, 12:46 pm

Upper deck las-lhr

274 flight landing last night. Had the new bedding which was very nice. The amenities bag is minuscule! No trolley service (it was a late evening flight), just taking orders pre-flight for all courses and dinner drink. Fine by me-came quicker. But-food was diabolical! Completely inedible. Salmon for me and beef for my husband and both awful. Also wine & champagne very warm. Not a good experience!

Last edited by Kerchiss; May 21, 18 at 1:05 pm
Old May 21, 18, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Kerchiss View Post
But-good was diabolical! Completely inedible. Salmon for me and beef for my husband and both awful.
Unfortunately, with the partial exception of ex-JFK, BA food ex-US remains mostly vile.
Old May 21, 18, 4:08 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond. Aspiring flyer with both feet on the ground.
Hey folks - a bit confused to read BA11 reports of new bedding, but other posts saying that there's nothing planned till the autumn. Any chance of a clarification?

Originally Posted by dujardin View Post
Had the new bedding on BA11 LHR-SIN yesterday (A380)... Don't see SIN mentioned in the wiki.
The mattress topper didn't do much for me, too thin and did not stay in place. Also, just one pillow (white).
Originally Posted by LPQ View Post
BT has an article stating the new bedding will be introduced on BA's Australian routes (plural) stating with LHR-SYD in the autumn. If these facts are correct then does it mean that SIN will be similarly delayed?
Old May 22, 18, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by George Kyriakos View Post
Hey folks - a bit confused to read BA11 reports of new bedding, but other posts saying that there's nothing planned till the autumn. Any chance of a clarification?
Is the wikipost of this thread not clear enough? Both LHR-SIN and SIN-SYD are said to be bedding-only routes as of 17 May 2018.

The two posts that you have quoted are both from late March. In any event, the two posts are not necessarily inconsistent: in theory, it could be possible that BA11/12 will have the new bedding but BA15/16 won't.
Old May 22, 18, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
Unfortunately, with the partial exception of ex-JFK, BA food ex-US remains mostly vile.
Mostly vile? I certainly have seen some dishes departing USA which I wouldn't wish to repeat, and I will single out MIA and perhaps ORD, but mostly? Vile? The cauliflower soup and Nashville hot chicken were among my favourite CW meals this year.
Old May 22, 18, 7:21 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond. Aspiring flyer with both feet on the ground.
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
Is the wikipost of this thread not clear enough? Both LHR-SIN and SIN-SYD are said to be bedding-only routes as of 17 May 2018.

The two posts that you have quoted are both from late March. In any event, the two posts are not necessarily inconsistent: in theory, it could be possible that BA11/12 will have the new bedding but BA15/16 won't.
Thanks for this. The confusion arose from the fact that while the wiki was saying that there is bedding, a) there have been reports of this being pushed to the autumn and b) I was told by someone who is apparently there at the moment that nothing has been implemented yet. Granted, he could have been speaking about BA15/16, but neither he, nor the wiki, make that clear. It just says.. SIN.

Thanks again! Looking forward to my BA11/12 flights next month! (fingers crossed for catering too...)

Search this Thread