I (still) fly BA because of the staff

Reply

Old Sep 1, 17, 6:30 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Pune, India
Programs: Exec Club - Gold Member - yeah baby, Emerald Aisle Executive Elite - Woo, Marriott Silver Executive
Posts: 118
I (still) fly BA because of the staff

I screwed up yesterday.

I usually leave a LOT of time for things to go wrong getting to the airport. So much time that my family and colleagues give me a hard time for it.

Yesterday I had an extra hour built in. I couldn't leave more. I left my last meeting in Eindhoven and drove to Amsterdam Schipol.

I don't usually drive when I'm in the Netherlands. But recent surgery made it necessary.
As I neared the airport traffic ground to a halt. I honestly don't know which road I was on - the nav system in my rental car had rerouted me "around traffic" several times. We sat still for almost 90 minutes. The everything started moving.

I missed a flight. The first one I think I've ever missed.

The check in counter sent me to the rebooking desk.

I explained what had happened to dutch_122 and he started to help me.

My booking was complicated - TA made and upgraded with Avios. I had to call the Gold line to get the avios upgrade removed temporarily. 40 minutes on the phone and 5 people "helping" me later nothing.

Mr dutch_122 then said "hang up the phone - I'll take care of this". I then watched as he rolled his chair between 3 different computers - doing something.

A few minutes later and a mere 250 GBP lighter I had a new flight to London. last seat on the plane. I made my connection - a flight to Mumbai with enough time for a quick scotch in the T5 B lounge.

Mr dutch_122 (man I hope I remembered your user name correctly) - thank you, thank you, thanks you. I'm typing this by the pool in Lonavala, India watching my kids play, drinking a cocktail with my wife. I hope you have a wonderful vacation.
Harry Harry is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 17, 8:57 am
  #2  
Moderator: Qatar Airways
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: LHR/NCE/DOH
Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL/CCR, QR Insider, SQ Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Posts: 7,242
Dutch_122 is indeed a frequent member on the BA and QR fora, and many of us here regard him as a friend.

He also happens to be an absolute whizz when it comes to flight bookings, and has helped many FTers (myself included) with complicated itineraries.

Glad he was able to sort you out with your booking, and I'm sure you'll buy him a drink when you're next around AMS!

M

P.S. It might be worth adding, that he isn't BA staff - albeit he knows their systems exceptionally well.
msm2000uk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 17, 2:35 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Posts: 1,839
Nice post and glad it worked out well. In my experience Dutch roads are as prone to snarl ups as the M25!
South London Bon Viveur is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 17, 6:14 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: LHR/ATH
Posts: 2,412
Originally Posted by Harry Harry View Post
I screwed up yesterday.

I usually leave a LOT of time for things to go wrong getting to the airport. So much time that my family and colleagues give me a hard time for it.

Yesterday I had an extra hour built in. I couldn't leave more. I left my last meeting in Eindhoven and drove to Amsterdam Schipol.

I don't usually drive when I'm in the Netherlands. But recent surgery made it necessary.
As I neared the airport traffic ground to a halt. I honestly don't know which road I was on - the nav system in my rental car had rerouted me "around traffic" several times. We sat still for almost 90 minutes. The everything started moving.

I missed a flight. The first one I think I've ever missed.

The check in counter sent me to the rebooking desk.

I explained what had happened to dutch_122 and he started to help me.

My booking was complicated - TA made and upgraded with Avios. I had to call the Gold line to get the avios upgrade removed temporarily. 40 minutes on the phone and 5 people "helping" me later nothing.

Mr dutch_122 then said "hang up the phone - I'll take care of this". I then watched as he rolled his chair between 3 different computers - doing something.

A few minutes later and a mere 250 GBP lighter I had a new flight to London. last seat on the plane. I made my connection - a flight to Mumbai with enough time for a quick scotch in the T5 B lounge.

Mr dutch_122 (man I hope I remembered your user name correctly) - thank you, thank you, thanks you. I'm typing this by the pool in Lonavala, India watching my kids play, drinking a cocktail with my wife. I hope you have a wonderful vacation.

They should have rebooked you for free.
ahmetdouas is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 17, 1:45 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Pune, India
Programs: Exec Club - Gold Member - yeah baby, Emerald Aisle Executive Elite - Woo, Marriott Silver Executive
Posts: 118
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas View Post
They should have rebooked you for free.
Why would they re-book me for free?

I've not experienced that since KLM did it for me about a decade ago. And that memory says this wasn't the first time I ever missed a flight - I don't know if I feel better or worse.
Harry Harry is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 17, 1:54 am
  #6  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,876
I have to add my praise for @dutch_122 - he very quickly helped place a complex booking into BA systems this weekend, which I was able to pay for over the phone with BA (after a small POS adjustment to get a specific flight I wanted).

Excellent
rossmacd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 17, 2:27 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: LHR/ATH
Posts: 2,412
Originally Posted by Harry Harry View Post
Why would they re-book me for free?

I've not experienced that since KLM did it for me about a decade ago. And that memory says this wasn't the first time I ever missed a flight - I don't know if I feel better or worse.
if you missed a flight due to circumstances out of your control ( like flat tire, etc.), some airlines will put you on the next flight for free.

if you just donít show up and not say anything, well that is a different story all together !
ahmetdouas is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 17, 2:22 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: London
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold(twice), Hilton Diamond
Posts: 596
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas View Post
They should have rebooked you for free.
Wishful thinking I fear. Non-flex is non-flex. I just missed the last flight from MXP when the tangentiale (=M25) was at a standstill for 2 hours due to a major accident. Phoned BA Gold, politely told all lost and to buy a new ticket for next morning. I decided to go to the MXP ticketing desk & they re-booked me for a change-fee of Ä70.
'andad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 17, 9:23 pm
  #9  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Posts: 2,469
Originally Posted by Harry Harry View Post
Why would they re-book me for free?
Originally Posted by 'andad View Post
Wishful thinking I fear. Non-flex is non-flex. I just missed the last flight from MXP when the tangentiale (=M25) was at a standstill for 2 hours due to a major accident. Phoned BA Gold, politely told all lost and to buy a new ticket for next morning. I decided to go to the MXP ticketing desk & they re-booked me for a change-fee of €70.
BA Conditions of Carriage

"3c4) If you need to change any aspect of your transportation because of events beyond your control, you must contact us as soon as possible. We will use reasonable efforts to transport you to your next stopover or final destination, without re-calculating the fare."
ahmetdouas and 'andad like this.
Airprox is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 17, 10:21 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PVG
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, ex AA EXP
Posts: 450
2 years ago I missed a flight, OSL-LHR-LAX-SFO in J, with the LHR-LAX sector upgraded to F on AA using a SWU (AA ticket) , it was an error fare at 600€,

When I arrived at the airport the plane was about to take, no BA staff as they use contracted staff in OSL,

I called BA to explain the situation, and they quoted me 7000€ to change my flight, I hanged up and called the EXP line, they reroute me via JFK and then the transcend to SFO, all in F, for 0€,

Even if I screwed up, on a very cheap J ticket, AA didn't let me down, not sure they would still do it, best part of being an Emerald with AA is the EXP line
ahmetdouas likes this.
pvgman is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread