Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Consequences of dropping out of Gold for a Year...??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consequences of dropping out of Gold for a Year...??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
@ thejohn ... A "Welcome on board, T8191" or upgrades are the least of my concerns. I know neither are likely to happen.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
Originally Posted by T8191
@ thejohn ... A "Welcome on board, T8191" or upgrades are the least of my concerns. I know neither are likely to happen.
Yes I totally agree @T8191 a welcome is not expected upgrades would be nice say 1 in 10 and wouldn't have been refused either, but I feel that BA should encourage loyalty... because if they tread on too many toes many will vote with the same feet. I do feel for the corporate user if there travel policy is BA focused with no leeway they may "earn" the benefits ie sliver/gold cards so use of Fast Track/Lounges. But for the self funded leisure traveller it's not such a loss as I can buy a fare that includes Lounge access of just pay for a 3rd party lounge and at most airports Fast Track. I now feel chasing the rainbow to the pot of Gold/Silver is a waste of money from my point of view. and BA are missing my paltry spend and maybe many others spend and that could really knock their profits.
John
Old Sep 5, 2017, 6:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, Shangri La Jade
I am one of the few FTers who mainly flies economy, apart from my annual Amex 2 for 1 and the rare POUG. The only business flying I do is a result of self employment and I'd rather spend my cash on accommodation. I pay for a Amex platinum to get lounge access (and Krisflyer silver-no lounge access) Despite my lowly blue status (I have been bronze before) I have been upgraded before, just to WT+ but still!
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

well, as self-funded leisure-flying Elders, we have a slightly different angle to many here, I suspect. Gold is nice: it has certain benefits that appeal, even though we only ever book J for both s/h and l/h. It also seems, thanks to Flyertalk and especially this forum, that it now comes around annually.

is it worth the expense? If I looked at that aspect closely, I would probably say "No". But then if I looked closely at our holiday habits, that would perhaps justify counselling too. But in our "Autumn Years", it's nice to have things to look forward to ... and be able to do them in comfort on BA and AA, with nice lounges and priority things.

Looking forward to MLA, CPT, KIN and PHX ... with Gold renewal dripping into place at some stage.

We're a long time dead
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Chris_G
I've been Gold for a few years, but really what are the consequences of not having a consistent track record of being a Gold...??
Loss of respect from your friends and family? Not really

Originally Posted by Chris_G
Is it really worth spending £3k to £4k on hurried tier point runs
If you use your "TP runs" as a secret excuse to visit some exotic places in style and comfort, sure. Otherwise, probably not.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Calchas
If you use your "TP runs" as a secret excuse to visit some exotic places in style and comfort, sure. Otherwise, probably not.
There's a difference between "TP Runs" and "TP-Efficient Holidays", isn't there?
craigthemif and Calchas like this.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by T8191
There's a difference between "TP Runs" and "TP-Efficient Holidays", isn't there?
That's what I keep telling myself ...

When are you next in HNL?
Old Sep 5, 2017, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Calchas
That's what I keep telling myself ...

When are you next in HNL?
Not!!

Starting the 2018/19 membership year with a trip to see friends in PHX ... a modest 720 TP for about £3.5k (JER-UK-DUB-PHL-PHX).
Old Sep 7, 2017, 4:23 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by sarahluv
I am one of the few FTers who mainly flies economy, apart from my annual Amex 2 for 1 and the rare POUG. The only business flying I do is a result of self employment and I'd rather spend my cash on accommodation. I pay for a Amex platinum to get lounge access (and Krisflyer silver-no lounge access) Despite my lowly blue status (I have been bronze before) I have been upgraded before, just to WT+ but still!
I see you're Shangri-La Jade (probably via the Amex Plat). Did you know that with Shangri-La Jade you can get Gold (*G) on Star Alliance just by taking 3 flights on SQ? Then you don't have to bother with Priority Pass to get lounge access (assuming there's at least one *A lounge like the vast majority of airports will have).

All you need to do is register on the Infinite Journeys page to link your Shangri-La Golden Circle and Kris Flyer accounts. You already mentioned you're Kris Flyer silver so this should be straightforward. Once you've signed up you have 4 months to make the 3 sectors (SQ or Silk Air) in order to qualify for *G for the following 12 months (you'll become Kris Flyer Gold).

BTW, with Shangri-La Emerald status you only need ONE sector on SQ to get *G.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 4:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, Shangri La Jade
Originally Posted by yurtripper
I see you're Shangri-La Jade (probably via the Amex Plat). Did you know that with Shangri-La Jade you can get Gold (*G) on Star Alliance just by taking 3 flights on SQ? Then you don't have to bother with Priority Pass to get lounge access (assuming there's at least one *A lounge like the vast majority of airports will have).

All you need to do is register on the Infinite Journeys page to link your Shangri-La Golden Circle and Kris Flyer accounts. You already mentioned you're Kris Flyer silver so this should be straightforward. Once you've signed up you have 4 months to make the 3 sectors (SQ or Silk Air) in order to qualify for *G for the following 12 months (you'll become Kris Flyer Gold).

BTW, with Shangri-La Emerald status you only need ONE sector on SQ to get *G.
I do! but I doubt i'll get them to be honest. I am flying Singapore for the first time ever in November and god knows when i'll be on them again! I have 2 SQ flights, my other two are NZ. I'm Kris flyer silver through the Infinite Journeys page. The Priority Pass access through amex is useful for me as:

I get an extra person in.
I have an extra card as I've added my mum as a supplementary card holder. This gives my parents who aren't at all well off lounge access.
I'm from Belfast and neither of the Belfast airports have a star alliance lounge.

There are also the other plat perks (hotel status, travel insurance)
Old Sep 7, 2017, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Comparing redemption availability with my sister when she was BA Silver, Gold gives my Avios quite a lot more value.<br /><br />I also think that being OWE is a significant benefit for someone who mixes up OW airlines a lot.<br /><br />I wouldn't really miss the flounges, but this seals it for me. Then again, I'm on course to add SkyTeam E+ to *G and OWE this year, so...
Old Sep 7, 2017, 5:17 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by sarahluv
I do! but I doubt i'll get them to be honest. I am flying Singapore for the first time ever in November and god knows when i'll be on them again! I have 2 SQ flights, my other two are NZ. I'm Kris flyer silver through the Infinite Journeys page. The Priority Pass access through amex is useful for me as:

I get an extra person in.
I have an extra card as I've added my mum as a supplementary card holder. This gives my parents who aren't at all well off lounge access.
I'm from Belfast and neither of the Belfast airports have a star alliance lounge.

There are also the other plat perks (hotel status, travel insurance)
Just patch in a quick hop to KUL and back from SIN and you have 4 sectors! I'm also going to Singapore in November and that's exactly what I'll be doing

Of course, if you registered for Infinite Journeys before July then it will be too late anyway.

I've also kept the Amex Plat until now for the reasons you mentioned but with *G for next year I might take a year off.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 5:40 am

Programs: MUCCI -- What else matters?
There were only two differences I noticed when I dropped from Gold to Silver.

First, access to the First Lounge in Heathrow. On the funny side, during the transition I was flying regularly and the lounge staff actually let me through to the First lounge for about three flights before one noticed I was no longer gold (and it wasn't deliberate on my part either, I was just so used to going up the first escalator and turning left). The first lounge is kind of nice, with better food choices, but it's not a show stopper.

The second big difference was the award availability. For short haul flights for five people, this really does make a difference. We now have trouble booking trips out for skiing or to visit family in Europe, and most times end up paying instead of using RFS. That said, it does mean we end up chasing good deals -- we recently had five return flights LHR-WAW with three weeks of car hire (big estate car) for £750 during the peak summer holiday season, which frankly is not bad considering I'd have paid some £400 for the car hire alone...
Old Sep 7, 2017, 6:07 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Sometimes I wonder what the fuss is about. I had gold throughout the 90s and early 2000s.
There were less golds in those days, and travelling alone I used the lounges.

I am now retired and bounce between blue and bronze.

My flights all relate to vacations/holidays, and I look for value first. So I will fly with nearly any airline.
I know where the coffee bars that always have seats available are in lgw and T2, T3, and T 5. They all give free wifi. So I have my seat, my coffee, and The Times and/or a book or two to read on the ipad.

Quite enough for me.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 6:57 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
I had gold for just under two years following a HNL tier point run just as my year began. I lost it at the end of May 17.

In 9 years at silver or gold, I have never had an upgrade and can count on the fingers of both hands the times I travel solo. Consequently my use of the First lounge was less than 5 times in 2 years, the last being the day the First fast track opened. Its nice but not £4k nice.

I got most of my tier points from AA, CX and QR and none of them cared either, though they did at least provide a far better level of service and comfort than BA have done in some time.

I got the odd extra redemption seat offered but never used it.

I have been silver all summer and it did not have any impact. I will be gold again by the end of October but only because my kids both need a trip to AMS to retain silver and that flips me into gold with exactly 4 BA sectors and 1500 points. Both my kids schools have dumped BA due BOB ( kids don't have credit cards) and the ski trips and Euro flights are now Easy Jet. That left then just shy of 600 tier points and for extra costs for silver I felt was justified.

Silver is fine and so long as fast track, lounge access and free seats selection remains, then I am happy to fly oneworld to retain BAEC but I wont do so if I am forced onto BA longhaul other than code shares with AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.