Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Excellent service - Comair

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Excellent service - Comair

Had a quick hop down from JNB to CPT last week. Booked on Kulula.

On arrival at the airport - 19.30 Kulula flight was 2 hours delayed. However the check in agent said we had been proactively rebooked onto the 19.00 BA flight and we could collect our BPs from the adjoining desk.

Got on board and sat in a couple of the old CE style seats (the 2-3 ones). We were 10 mins late leaving, the pilot apologising that they had to call the caterers back to the plane with additional meals for the additional passengers from Kulula.

On arrival in CPT he was back on again, apologising to those of us that were inconvenienced by the change of flight. Apologising that we arrived....20 mins earlier than our booked flight!!!
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:41 am

I love Comair. Overall it feels like the BA of yesteryear.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Comair is fantastic , thank god i am South Africa based and have to travel domestically a lot with them ! I have had the best crew i have ever experienced on a BA operated by Comair flight , they did so much with so little ! Not to mention the stellar Slow lounge ... magic ! J is superb
Old Aug 31, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
The only problem I have with Comair is the lack of destinations. They tried and failed on a few regional ones (DAR, MPM, MQP, GBE).

They also miss a lot of big SA cities - ELS, BFN and GRJ - to name a few.

However what they do offer is truly excellent. Shame their DUR-LGW service never materialised.
JAXBA likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:41 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
It is exactly BA of yesteryear. For when you forget just how much airline travel has changed. I'll resist to say "how far BA has fallen" because Comair does show that you get what you pay for, and in Europe people don't want to pay a lot.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
+1 for Comair. Love flying on them. Love the SLOW lounges too.

In saying that, even Comair catering has been enhanced over the years. Only hot meals at certain times of the day now in Club. Still, bit of nostalgia, especially on one of the old 400s.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
BA should learn from their own franchises!
Old Aug 31, 2017, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Comair is great both on the ground (including in IRROP management) and inflight. There is something a little old-fashioned (in a good way) about the service that they offer.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by surryson
+1 for Comair. Love flying on them. Love the SLOW lounges too.

In saying that, even Comair catering has been enhanced over the years. Only hot meals at certain times of the day now in Club. Still, bit of nostalgia, especially on one of the old 400s.
Indeed - used the SLOW lounge at both ends. Good selection of food and drinks.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 5:26 pm

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
We have internal flights with them in Nov so I'll be interested to see.

JNB >> CPT on a BA code operated by Comair
CPT >> JNB on a Comair code operated by Kulula

So I seem to get the TPs for the first but not the second leg. That sound about right? At least, I can only see the first leg on MMB (both were booked on Expedia).
Old Aug 31, 2017, 6:51 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by FrancisA
The only problem I have with Comair is the lack of destinations. They tried and failed on a few regional ones (DAR, MPM, MQP, GBE).

They also miss a lot of big SA cities - ELS, BFN and GRJ - to name a few.

However what they do offer is truly excellent. Shame their DUR-LGW service never materialised.
Agreed, agreed, agreed.

Originally Posted by Pascoe
We have internal flights with them in Nov so I'll be interested to see.

JNB >> CPT on a BA code operated by Comair
CPT >> JNB on a Comair code operated by Kulula

So I seem to get the TPs for the first but not the second leg. That sound about right? At least, I can only see the first leg on MMB (both were booked on Expedia).
The BA coded flight will earn like a regular BA flight. The Kulula flight won't credit to BAEC but can be credited to Avios.com: see Avios earning on Kulula for details
Old Sep 1, 2017, 1:31 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by JAXBA

Agreed, agreed, agreed.

The BA coded flight will earn like a regular BA flight. The Kulula flight won't credit to BAEC but can be credited to Avios.com: see Avios earning on Kulula for details
Good tip - thanks. The TPs would have been minimal anyway.

And ironically we are considering changing our itinerary to head back from Port Elizabeth rather than Capetown, in which case every chance I end up on a mainstream Comair flight with BA TPs etc also. We'll see.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 5:20 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by tedcruz
BA should learn from their own franchises!
They should! Although the 3 off the top of my head (Sun Air of Scandinavia, BA City Flyer and Comair) have all been on a (slow) downward trajectory I feel. I've not flown any of them as much as BA mainline, but can certainly see a few differences as the years pass.

I did JNB-HRE a few years ago in Y, then JNB-WDH last year, and there were some fairly big changes (no spirits, no hot food). Sun Air too I think have cheapened out in the catering of late, although the overall product is still probably the best in Europe.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I love Comair too - as my first ever Client, they have a special place in my heart and I had a great time working with a friendly, welcoming team there.

Originally Posted by FrancisA
ELS, BFN and GRJ
kulula.com, also operated by Comair and managed jointly with the BA operations, operate to ELS and GRJ.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 6:20 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I'll resist to say "how far BA has fallen" because Comair does show that you get what you pay for, and in Europe people don't want to pay a lot.
Good point. In Europe it's all about price. You do get what you pay for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.