Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New BA Club World catering concept [general discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New BA Club World catering concept [general discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2017, 6:25 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I love thoughtful, compassionate and tolerant people
I don't see any reason to be compassionate to those who inflict obesity on themselves, others around them, damage the environment and take up my taxes by placing a disproportionate burden on the health service. I'm deeply compassionate to those who have a disability through no fault of their own. Indeed I volunteer my time to help many such people.

Being overweight is self-inflicted harm and has a direct impact on others, especially in the confines of a small metal tube. BA could do more to be responsible in this area.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 6:31 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
I don't see any reason to be compassionate to those who inflict obesity on themselves, others around them, damage the environment and take up my taxes by placing a disproportionate burden on the health service. I'm deeply compassionate to those who have a disability through no fault of their own. Indeed I volunteer my time to help many such people.

Being overweight is self-inflicted harm and has a direct impact on others, especially in the confines of a small metal tube. BA could do more to be responsible in this area.
You can't make any such informed judgement about individual passengers and neither should BA.

What do you want? Having to pass a medical before you're allowed on the plane?
Kiara likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 6:37 am

Programs: BA Gold
Given the disproportionate number of overweight (mostly men) I see in CW I really don't think BA needs to be encouraging the gluttony by feeding their customers even more calories (e.g. cheese and dessert).

I'd welcome options on board that are actually healthy and not laden with sugar, salt and refined carbs. Simple salad with protein? Snacks that aren't exclusively crap for you?

Oh and how about putting calories / nutritional information next to the menu items? Might make some think twice before stuffing more cake in their face.

And for those who say 'it doesn't affect you so why do you care', think about that next time you are next to a fat person snoring loudly on a flight or get woken up by a obese window passenger trying to climb over you but without the mobility to do so effectively.
People who are fat and stuff there face will continue to stuff there face regardless of calories and nutritional information next to the menu items. Do people automatically stop smoking because on the fag packet it says smoking kills? No they do not!
Old Aug 30, 2017, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Padmeister
People who are fat and stuff there face will continue to stuff there face regardless of calories and nutritional information next to the menu items. Do people automatically stop smoking because on the fag packet it says smoking kills? No they do not!
Of course not, but putting nasty photos on the packet is shown to help smokers quit. Likewise putting calorie and nutritional information next to menu items helps passengers to make an informed choice.

If BA were to do so there might actually be a little more pressure on BA from passengers who don't want to eat crap on board. And obese passengers might think twice before consuming 2000 calories of food and drink whilst sat on their arse for 10h doing nothing.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 6:53 am

Your compassion here seems a little unhealthy in its own right, in that it is very split into who is 'deserving' and who is 'undeserving' in your eyes. This is out of touch with the complexities of reality.

The fact of the matter is that there are many reasons why people can gain weight, they are complex and often extremely entrenched. You can bet that if it was as easy as eating less and exercising more people many people would do it as it can cause them such unhappiness. However, it isn't that easy, and for some people for no fault of their own it is simply too much of a hill to climb - at least by themselves.

Whilst I'm not overweight myself this is a subject I am familiar with, partly through my line of work. It is very easy for those who are slim to condemn those who are not.

Finally, especially for leisure travelers who may be flying away on holiday, the flight is a treat, and normal rules of abstinence or dietary balance may be perhaps forgiven on this occasion

That said, I do take your point about having healthier options too, including on the snack side of things.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by V10
You can't make any such informed judgement about individual passengers and neither should BA.

What do you want? Having to pass a medical before you're allowed on the plane?
It's pretty simple - fat people consume more calories (generally from sugar and carbs) than they burn. There really isn't a need to make any judgement further than that.

No, I don't think passengers should need a medical but I wouldn't be adverse to allocating a total weight limit to passengers and their luggage and charging those who bring excess kilos onto the plane for the extra fuel they burn. It would be fairer to all.

BA's food is almost never healthy. Rather than providing more cake and cheese for the gluttons, perhaps introduce a few healthy options? BA should love it - it's generally pretty cheap to prepare veggies and simple protein.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 6:55 am

Of course not, but putting nasty photos on the packet is shown to help smokers quit. Likewise putting calorie and nutritional information next to menu items helps passengers to make an informed choice.

If BA were to do so there might actually be a little more pressure on BA from passengers who don't want to eat crap on board. And obese passengers might think twice before consuming 2000 calories of food and drink whilst sat on their arse for 10h doing nothing.
But they won't though! Nutrional information has been placed on products worldwide for quite sometime however people are getting fatter each year! People who eat to excess will continue to eat to excess regardless of what information is displayed next to the menu item.

People who look good and stay in shape are that way because they want to be! An obese person sitting next to you eating the slab of cake isn't going to change just because it states that piece of cake is 1500 calories.

Like the old saying goes "you are what you are"
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
The fact of the matter is that there are many reasons why people can gain weight, they are complex and often extremely entrenched. You can bet that if it was as easy as eating less and exercising more people many people would do it as it can cause them such unhappiness. However, it isn't that easy, and for some people for no fault of their own it is simply too much of a hill to climb - at least by themselves.
Erm, I'm afraid it is exactly that. Put a fat person on a calorie controlled diet containing mostly leafy green veg and proteins and give them an appropriate excercise regime to follow and they will lose weight. It is simple biological fact.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:12 am

But they won't though! Nutrional information has been placed on products worldwide for quite sometime however people are getting fatter each year! People who eat to excess will continue to eat to excess regardless of what information is displayed next to the menu item.

People who look good and stay in shape are that way because they want to be! An obese person sitting next to you eating the slab of cake isn't going to change just because it states that piece of cake is 1500 calories.

Yup - on the back of a packet.

There are plenty of studies from the States that show a reduction in the number of calories consumed when nutritional information is shown on restaurant menus, especially when accompanied by a statement about the recommended daily allowance.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:13 am

Erm, I'm afraid it is exactly that. Put a fat person on a calorie controlled diet containing mostly leafy green veg and proteins and give them an appropriate excercise regime to follow and they will lose weight. It is simple biological fact.
'Erm', I'm afraid it isn't exactly that, unless you are proposing imprisoning people?

Some of the reasons why an overweight person may find it hard to lose weight:

1 Shame. They don't want to go to the gym/go out/walk/exercise because they are ashamed of how they look and don't want to see themselves in a gym mirror

2 Habits. If they've been brought up to not exercise and eat too much these habits are powerfully ingrained. As humans we need habits to survive (to free up brain power so that our brains don't need to be the size of watermelons and we can fit through the birth canal) so our minds don't give up habits easily

3 Boredom. Someone who is overweight or perhaps housebound may get bored, and find it harder to resist hunger.

4 Emotional eating. As well as boredom, people can eat to cope with all sorts of different difficult emotions including anger, anxiety and sadness. 'Food is the drug of the poor' as the saying goes.

5 Social anxiety. Feeling overweight can create crippling social anxiety which means it is harder to mix with others/be active/exercise with others.

6 Drinking too much. Alcohol is highly calorific and also removes inhibitions to dieting/control. Again, drinking can help cope with difficult emotions.

These are just off the top of my head, and there are many other influences such as giving up smoking, disability and so on. But honestly to suggest there is a simple solution to losing weight and to condemn others in the way that you do is so unfair, harsh and shows a remarkable lack of understanding.
Kiara likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Meanwhile, the new Club service is launched on Friday ...
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:19 am

Meanwhile, the new Club service ...
Haha

Sorry, went off on one there! Mods feel free to tidy up
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:21 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
fat people
I think these sorts of discussions are best directed to the parts of FT that are more suited for this than the BAEC forum. @:-)

Meanwhile, the new Club service is launched on Friday ...
orbitmic likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
'Erm', I'm afraid it isn't exactly that, unless you are proposing imprisoning people?

Some of the reasons why an overweight person may find it hard to lose weight:

1 Shame. They don't want to go to the gym/go out/walk/exercise because they are ashamed of how they look and don't want to see themselves in a gym mirror

2 Habits. If they've been brought up to not exercise and eat too much these habits are powerfully ingrained. As humans we need habits to survive (to free up brain power so that our brains don't need to be the size of watermelons and we can fit through the birth canal) so our minds don't give up habits easily

3 Boredom. Someone who is overweight or perhaps housebound may get bored, and find it harder to resist hunger.

4 Emotional eating. As well as boredom, people can eat to cope with all sorts of different difficult emotions including anger, anxiety and sadness. 'Food is the drug of the poor' as the saying goes.

5 Social anxiety. Feeling overweight can create crippling social anxiety which means it is harder to mix with others/be active/exercise with others.

6 Drinking too much. Alcohol is highly calorific and also removes inhibitions to dieting/control. Again, drinking can help cope with difficult emotions.

These are just off the top of my head, and there are many other influences such as giving up smoking, disability and so on. But honestly to suggest there is a simple solution to losing weight and to condemn others in the way that you do is so unfair, harsh and shows a remarkable lack of understanding.
Well said!

The comments made by Tabtraveller are very narrow minded.
Tobias-UK, LCSinTexas and Kiara like this.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:26 am

Anyway back to the New CW Service 😁

I would love to take Mrs P to New York for her birthday in January in CW to try all of this out; but I am scared of my credit card bill she loves shoes and handbags 🤔😅

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.