Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New BA Club World catering concept [general discussion]

New BA Club World catering concept [general discussion]

Old Feb 12, 18, 11:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you View Post
New CW catering will start on the HKG LHR on the 13/02 and LHR HKG on the 14/02.
The new bedding will start one the 21/02 on the following routes.
ATL, DBX, HKG, IAD, IAH, KWI, LAX, JNB, PHL, RUY, SAN, SEA, SFO, SJC.
Thanks, as always, for the info CIHY.

Perhaps it’s just me, but amidst all the discussion since this thread began life last September, I’m now far from clear in my mind as to what exactly “new catering” does/will comprise, as it gets progressively rolled out.

Like so many others, I’ve been looking forward to a noticeably upgraded CW product - with bedding and food makeovers being two elements ; and the most important, a brand new seat to replace the current iteration (the latter first seen around 2006, AFAIK).

It seems certain that the JFK-style catering service - launched almost six months ago to great fanfare and enthusiastically received, it must be said - will not be seen across the network. There have also been some reports along the lines of I was served same old food ..... but just better plates/crockery.

In short ......do we now have a (definitive) description of CW “new catering” ....??

Old Feb 12, 18, 2:05 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum, BA Bronze, And EK silver
Utterly disappointed with all this hype! We should start a petition to fire A. Cruz! What a tool ....
I am hoping the YVR route gets the "upgrade service" in club in June. Is it worth trying out the "improved" catering or shall I order my Kosher special meal instead? The latter never disappoints!

Cheers

AA
Old Feb 13, 18, 6:00 am

Programs: BAEC (busted back down to) Silver, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
We have a very active “Emperors New Clothes” mentality with BA with many staff in areas of control behond their ability.
That's dangerous in a Safety Critical workplace. Even if it's not pervasive and doesn't reach safety-related areas today, it's still worrying. Time to be the child. Call out the nudity where we see it.
Old Feb 13, 18, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I agree, if I have any concerns I certainly don’t keep them to myself.
Old Feb 13, 18, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
Sorry if this has been asked before but I see on the CWLCY web page that the BA1/2 flights have the new bedding but do they have the new food service as well as it's not clear.

And going OT but does anyone know what the boarding arrangements for BA1 are now Gate 24 lounge has gone and you get your breakfast at Pilots restaurant. Do they still use the gate 24 area (sans the care home chairs) or one of the other gates.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Feb 13, 18 at 6:32 am
Old Feb 13, 18, 6:53 am

Programs: BAEC (busted back down to) Silver, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
Sorry if this has been asked before but I see on the CWLCY web page that the BA1/2 flights have the new bedding but do they have the new food service as well as it's not clear.
CWLCY was always catered by Do&Co, and the service flows are different, somewhat unique to the A318.
Old Feb 13, 18, 10:16 am

Some very good points but I’m afraid many of the problems with the new service are down to crewing levels and BA have said they will not be increased.
Then with the extent to which the service is hand-run it won't really get much quicker or flow better, and that's that. The service is not dissimilar (apart from the use of the starter/dessert trolleys) from the early-2000's Virgin Upper service and that contained a high element of hand-running - the Upper Class suite design meant it was easy for passengers to get out of their seat even with the table laid for a meal service, which put additional pressure on not having carts in the aisle. That took something like 7-8 people to deliver on a 44J 747.

I understand the desire not to have bulky carts blocking aisles for long periods, but at the same time, I'm not precious about there being carts in the aisles as long as they aren't there forever.

Is it therefore better to have a full-size cart come down the aisle putting down place settings, bread, wine and water, followed closely behind by the "pick your starters" trolley? That at least gets over the "staring at an empty tray" phase. Then it's a case of "patrol" in terms of pick-up, top-up, and serve the mains in "waves" as groups of folk become ready - as is the norm today.

If the concern is that a battered cart in J "brings down the neighbourhood" then provide each flight with fabric cart covers that get laundered like the blankets and things after each flight. Air NZ used to use these in the mid-2000s to good effect to "hide" the carts that ventured down the aisles. Sure, they ain't no invisibility cloak, but they help smarten things up.

It does make me wonder how much any of this was tested with actual consumers of the service.
Old Feb 13, 18, 10:38 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by mjh0 View Post
Then with the extent to which the service is hand-run it won't really get much quicker or flow better, and that's that. The service is not dissimilar (apart from the use of the starter/dessert trolleys) from the early-2000's Virgin Upper service and that contained a high element of hand-running - the Upper Class suite design meant it was easy for passengers to get out of their seat even with the table laid for a meal service, which put additional pressure on not having carts in the aisle. That took something like 7-8 people to deliver on a 44J 747.

I understand the desire not to have bulky carts blocking aisles for long periods, but at the same time, I'm not precious about there being carts in the aisles as long as they aren't there forever.

Is it therefore better to have a full-size cart come down the aisle putting down place settings, bread, wine and water, followed closely behind by the "pick your starters" trolley? That at least gets over the "staring at an empty tray" phase. Then it's a case of "patrol" in terms of pick-up, top-up, and serve the mains in "waves" as groups of folk become ready - as is the norm today.

If the concern is that a battered cart in J "brings down the neighbourhood" then provide each flight with fabric cart covers that get laundered like the blankets and things after each flight. Air NZ used to use these in the mid-2000s to good effect to "hide" the carts that ventured down the aisles. Sure, they ain't no invisibility cloak, but they help smarten things up.

It does make me wonder how much any of this was tested with actual consumers of the service.
Disappointing to hear that (albeit your own opinion) the new service is based on something from at least 15 yrs ago.

I can only guess the new service is/was considered with a new CW in mind, albeit difficult to believe, as the seat being rolled out is a LONG way off. Maybe it was too adventurous now it’s not on the training ground and the practicalities just aren’t working on the pitch?

As for it being tested, hasn’t it or isn’t it being tested on the JFK route for the past 5 months? You’d like to think a lot had been learnt in 5 months, I struggle to see how removing salt & pepper shakers were the top priority on the list of ‘how to make things smoother’ ?

Thanks to CIHY for updates. It’s fascinating to see this unfold.

Last edited by rockflyertalk; Feb 13, 18 at 4:29 pm
Old Feb 13, 18, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think most of us would like to see the old trolley service for the starter and salad service with soup served from the galley, the desserts and cheese trolley should remain as it’s a product enhancement.
Old Feb 13, 18, 11:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold
And what a coincidence that the sample Club World menu on ba.com is from the single Do&Co catered-JFK route without so much as an explanation or disclaimer
Old Feb 13, 18, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by choosethedrew View Post
And what a coincidence that the sample Club World menu on ba.com is from the single Do&Co catered-JFK route without so much as an explanation or disclaimer
That is not a Do&Co (or other "new") CW menu.

The new service is characterised by:
  • A choice of 4 starters - including one soup and a salad, of which you can theoretically have as many as you wish.
  • A choice of 3 main courses - the main course salad having gone.
That is an older CW menu. Probably about 12 months old I think.

Thanks,
Mike
Old Feb 13, 18, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by mjh0 View Post
That is not a Do&Co (or other "new") CW menu.

The new service is characterised by:
  • A choice of 4 starters - including one soup and a salad, of which you can theoretically have as many as you wish.
  • A choice of 3 main courses - the main course salad having gone.
That is an older CW menu. Probably about 12 months old I think.

Thanks,
Mike
I didn't claim it was a 'new CW catering' menu, I said it was a Do&Co menu. Do&Co has catered the JFK route since 2015 so before the latest catering changes, and are generally perceived to have a higher quality output than Gate Gourmet, or at least for BA.

Last edited by choosethedrew; Feb 13, 18 at 12:22 pm
Old Feb 13, 18, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As said the CW food ex LHR and JFK has been provided by Do&Co for a couple years and even before the new service the food and menus have been of a much higher quality.
Old Feb 13, 18, 12:37 pm

As said the CW food ex LHR and JFK has been provided by Do&Co for a couple years and even before the new service the food and menus have been of a much higher quality.
Hmm, they also do a lot of the catering on other US routes but I don't think I've ever heard anyone here suggest catering when debating whether to fly out of IAD and ORD or ATL and PHX. At the standards BA want, any catering company can manage with one hand tied behind their back. It's all about budget, rather than caterer.
Old Feb 13, 18, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by 710 77345 View Post
Hmm, they also do a lot of the catering on other US routes but I don't think I've ever heard anyone here suggest catering when debating whether to fly out of IAD and ORD or ATL and PHX. At the standards BA want, any catering company can manage with one hand tied behind their back. It's all about budget, rather than caterer.
I agree but I get the sense Do&Co were afforded a better budget on the LHR - JFK route, so the two aspects have become conflated. It would be fascinating to see the Gate Gourmet and Do&Co budgets compared...

Search this Thread