Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New BA Club World catering concept [general discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New BA Club World catering concept [general discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by Can I help you
I base this on how the whole project has been managed and how much of this will need to be changed.
We have a very active “Emperors New Clothes” mentality with BA with many staff in areas of control behond their ability.
including one A Cruz ....
Old Feb 10, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
It could still be wonderful, with new seats around the corner we now need Do&Co catering worldwide.
The good things are the new service equipment and bedding, we just need some experienced people to design deliverable routines and then let us BA cabin crew do what they do best which is to serve with a smile, humour and compassion.
Indeed it could (and thanks for all the updates you are providing), but I suspect you are unlikely to see that food quality worldwide (not to mention that new CW seats across a material share of the fleet seems years away). I imagine it all ground to a halt when BA realised it was actually likely to cost the sums it had talked about, and Do&Co refused to cut corners and/or prices.

Disappointing, if unsurprising. BA will continue to try and live off the spin of the "launch", the main recourse customers have is to kick them in the NPS when getting the same old food (or possibly even less choice, as you have indicated upthread), on new plates. Now that Alex's bonus is linked to NPS, anyone who is unhappy knows what to do...

Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
It's not entirely come as a surprise that all routes aren't catered directly by Do&Co because they simply don't have the down-route network to cover all of the remote BA stations. Indeed, some routes are GG ex-UK and a different caterer on the return. I had wondered what the plan might be when this was deployed to other routes.

As I'd had an op-up on the 239 LHR-BOS last week, I could see from the pre-order selections that despite the route being catered by GG in all cabins, the main courses in J (chicken, cod, veg stew) were totally different from those in W (steak or chicken curry) - whereas before they would usually be the same dishes. So it doesn't look exactly like the "same old food", does it?

Are we looking at a situation where Do&Co are designing the food, catering it on routes where they have the ability both ends such as JFK, and handing the specifications to the other caterers such as GG for other routes? Possibly even sending Do&Co chefs to down-route kitchens to demonstrate what is required?

All flight kitchens handling cook-from-scratch work - as opposed to logistics only - employ experienced head and section chefs and line cooks, and are all capable of doing good things, given the right recipes, time, budget and ingredients.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 2:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Thanks for the feedback, if this turns out to be what is offered in the future, it will be very disappointing. The JFK food offering gave some hope, and whilst the new bedding and service is a very welcome improvement the food will be a letdown when compared to JFK product.
none of this surprising but not for them reasons cited here. The JFK service pattern has had HUGE issues (even with the better food) and feedback from regular JFK flyers (rather than once a year users) has not been good. It seems for the city where time is money a near 4 hour meal service doesn’t cut it. All predictable from day 1.

So, right now I’m going to defend BA.,while some can’t have the new toys promised by a PR jolly on 787, it is surely sensible for BA to hold back, rethink and then work out what they can roll out what works.

it will be interesting to see whether JFK gets revised back to this quicker service standard.

So, one step back and a sensible rethink before moving forward with something that just doesn’t work in its original form.

Anyway, next up the BAEC devaluation announcement next month, and lounge access moving to the Qantas model.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Originally Posted by DFB_london

Anyway, next up the BAEC devaluation announcement next month, and lounge access moving to the Qantas model.
This a guess, a rumour or fact?

As panic ensues across the forum!
Old Feb 11, 2018, 3:26 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by ESFLYER95
This a guess, a rumour or fact?

As panic ensues across the forum!
You can be sure it's not a fact but it's very likely to cause widespread panic and angst for some considerable time in true FT tradition.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 5:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by nyjoe4

I am always shocked when my friends who have worked for BA for a long, long time (since the 1990s) explain to me who their new bosses are: always under the age of 35 (often under 30) with NO experience on the ground or in the air whatsoever. I believe that the person in charge of many crucial aspects of service at T5 is from Purchasing, which was his first and only job - straight out of university, 5 years ago.

That's the real issue with cost cutting - not food, not BOB, but with inexperienced staff who are in WAY over their heads. You simply can't mask that.
Seems to be the way of the world, alas. My dad retired from 40 years on the railways last year, and the last 20 it was exactly the same; all these 'bright young things' parachuted in who didn't have a clue about the business but thought because they had a degree they knew it all. None of them lasted long. Hell, as I've grown older I've realised I've been one of these before, doing jobs other people with less qualifications but more real world know how could do far better. Trouble is, they all look after each other and keep recruiting their 'kind of people'. While the guys who actually understand the business see the decline, the lack of interest in the customer at the top, and lose their passion. Very sad.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I think that we are going to hear some horror stories.
I heard it’s on LAS now too though breakfast only 70% catered though the crew member submitted a flywell whatever that is,
Old Feb 11, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Does anyone know which outstations would have Do & Co catering available? I would assume any airport which OS serves would have the facilities
Old Feb 11, 2018, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
Does anyone know which outstations would have Do & Co catering available? I would assume any airport which OS serves would have the facilities
Unfortunately not. Do&Co caters OS and TK from home but on inbound flight, they have plenty of other caterers on various routes. Now of course, there is incidentsally absolutely no reason why Do&Co could not cater all flights from LHR regardless of inbound possibilities if they can upscale their LHR operations to do so (and I'm sure that if BA gave them the contract for all J meals for a number of years, they would adapt as required).
Old Feb 11, 2018, 7:57 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Unfortunately not. Do&Co caters OS and TK from home but on inbound flight, they have plenty of other caterers on various routes. Now of course, there is incidentsally absolutely no reason why Do&Co could not cater all flights from LHR regardless of inbound possibilities if they can upscale their LHR operations to do so (and I'm sure that if BA gave them the contract for all J meals for a number of years, they would adapt as required).
Indeed, and I do love OS catering
Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
OS has the Do&Co onboard chef on their YYZ services and their J catering on the route is easily a match for BA F so where there is a will.....nah
Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
OS has the Do&Co onboard chef on their YYZ services and their J catering on the route is easily a match for BA F so where there is a will.....nah
Exactly. OS and TK both have truly excellent food (and since we are at it, OS has a great coffee menu too and I wouldn't mind BA poaching that too! ) Whilst the new BA JFK J service is not quite as great as the OS and TK version, it is still vastly improved on other BA J meals and I had really hoped that BA would be true to their word and generalise it before long. That's why I'm so disappointed by what CIHY reported of the latest developments.

The whole hesitation and backtracking just gives an unpleasant impression that BA management thinks of quality improvement as something that they might only consider begrudgingly if they absolutely must. A bit as though in view of a lot of negative feedback someone had said that the airline must react, then when someone come up with a plan, someone else comes back and says "are you sure we reeeeeeeally need to do all that? Should we try to improve a little bit less and see if we can get away with it?" That's not too convincing...
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
The whole hesitation and backtracking just gives an unpleasant impression that BA management thinks of quality improvement as something that they might only consider begrudgingly if they absolutely must. A bit as though in view of a lot of negative feedback someone had said that the airline must react, then when someone come up with a plan, someone else comes back and says "are you sure we reeeeeeeally need to do all that? Should we try to improve a little bit less and see if we can get away with it?" That's not too convincing...
My sentiments exactly. It’s the window dressing that really grates, perfectly highlighted by going to the effort of having new tableware but putting the same food in it, presumably to fool the customer that this really is a new approach. If the reverse was done i.e. new food on the old plates, that I could forgive.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 3:21 am

Programs: Meh
All very predictable. I am flying next week with BA to HKG and regret not using my usual CX even if I was burning avios.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.