Giving my son the right start

Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Giving my son the right start

I took my 16 week old son on his maiden voyage yesterday, LHR->LYS. Thanks to all I learnt from this board, I was legitimately able to pitch an avios CE booking to my ("anything other than Y is a waste of money") wife as a genuine and huge cost saving over travelling U2.

So, thanks to you all for your education (and also to a relatively lightly loaded CE), my son's first ever flight was in in seat 1A.

I'm seeing this as an example for him of "starting off the way you intend to continue"! ^

P.s. since we don't have status and lounges are new to her, the wife is now asking if we can afford to travel J in future
T8191, so3003, BA5E and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
One always remembers their first business class flight and subsequently First class flight, so glad he and your family enjoyed ! Next step F ...
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:22 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I hope his champagne was cold enough and that he didn't ask for two teabags
Techno36, PETER01, BA5E and 5 others like this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I hope his champagne was cold enough and that he didn't ask for two teabags
He was too busy sleeping I think, and left the (coolish) champagne to daddy!

But the purser was so nice with him. She proactively got him a kids flight log book and got the captain to fill it out. Great crew makes the difference. ^
AceReport, BA5E and Tobias-UK like this.

Last edited by drsabs; Aug 29, 2017 at 7:30 am
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flame3601
One always remembers their first business class flight and subsequently First class flight, so glad he and your family enjoyed ! Next step F ...
Yes, that's true. I fondly remember my first J TATL, in 64A. That was a good flight, if slightly hazy at the end due to the excellent and frequent beverage service.
BA5E likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:29 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by drsabs
He was too busy sleeping I think, and left the (coolish) champagne to daddy!

But the purser was so nice with him. She proactively got him a kids flight log book and got the captain to fill it out. Great crew makes the difference. ^
I'm sure a few FTr's probably have log books too.

Glda your son enjoyed his CE experience.

Oh, I don't think it is allowed to mention crew names on here so you may want to edit that as a Moderator will.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Aug 29, 2017 at 7:42 am Reason: Remove crew member name from quote
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PETER01

Oh, I don't think it is allowed to mention crew names on here so you may want to edit that as a Moderator will.
Oops, thanks for the heads up, I didn't know. I assumed since I was saying something nice it would be ok. I've removed it now.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:35 am

Oops, thanks for the heads up, I didn't know. I assumed since I was saying something nice it would be ok. I've removed it now.
It's fairly common on here but no worries. I did it myself when I first joined (and maybe a few times after that too..... )

You can send a ba.com/well done if you think the crew XXXX did a great job.

You do realise that by allowing your son to sample premium cabins he'll want to try CW or F next?

Joking aside you can certainly learn from the people on here, I still find it fascinating after nearly 10 years and amazed what folks find/post etc.
BA5E likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:40 am
Original Poster

You do realise that by allowing your son to sample premium cabins he'll want to try CW or F next?
My plan is to let him enjoy premium cabins while he's too young to notice. Once he is a bit older, he can earn his own avios/cash and sort his own travel out!
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:43 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
I'm sure a few FTr's probably have log books too.

Glda your son enjoyed his CE experience.

@PETER01 you may also want to edit your quoting as well. 😀
PETER01 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:46 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
My plan is to let him enjoy premium cabins while he's too young to notice. Once he is a bit older, he can earn his own avios/cash and sort his own travel out!
Beware. My 8 year old finds ET unsuitable for her needs/requirements. She is very keen to know all about how BAEC works and what she can do to improve her status level.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:47 am

Doesn't work like that.We took young rapidex to JFK when he was 3 months.He is now always dipping into the household account.He's of to the rugby sevens next year.LHR-HKG on the BA A380 F and HKG-LHR on CX F.

You have just unleashed a monster^
BA5E likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by madfish
@PETER01 you may also want to edit your quoting as well. ��
Oops, silly me ! I forgot to edit the actual original OP's quote but I see one of the Mods has. ^
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:57 am

A cunning plan I say

Originally Posted by madfish
Beware. My 8 year old finds ET unsuitable for her needs/requirements. She is very keen to know all about how BAEC works and what she can do to improve her status level.
Originally Posted by rapidex
Doesn't work like that.We took young rapidex to JFK when he was 3 months.He is now always dipping into the household account.He's of to the rugby sevens next year.LHR-HKG on the BA A380 F and HKG-LHR on CX F.

You have just unleashed a monster^
Financial commitments and ruin lie ahead
BA5E likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

P.s. since we don't have status and lounges are new to her, the wife is now asking if we can afford to travel J in future
Lounge access and extra luggage allowance are the main reasons why we choose to fly CE. It's even better value now since they introduced buy on board in economy.
I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear if CE was growing in popularity especially amongst non status leisure passengers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.