Wiki Posts
Search

Warm Champagne in CE

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Warm Champagne in CE

Hi all

This is my first post and not a rant, just a comment to see if anyone has had the same experience. On my last 3-4 CE trips, I noticed that the champagne has not been chilled. What's that all about? Is this the norm now?

As you can see it is an important topic!!
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: BA bronze
Been nicely chilled for me

Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: BA Silver
Mine was chilled LHR-BUD on Friday evening...all five glasses.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: Some
Perhaps something to do with small vs. large bottles (presumably the new larger bottles on some routes are more difficult to chill quickly?)
Old Aug 28, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
It's about attention to detail and serving champagne cold and white wine chilled is important. My wife was recentlly offered ice to put in her white wine when she commented it was warm. I mean really🤓 you might do that at home......
Old Aug 28, 2017, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
It's not the norm but it happens more than occasionally (always has, it is not a recent trend as far as I can tell).
Old Aug 28, 2017, 11:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by final_call
Hi all

This is my first post and not a rant, just a comment to see if anyone has had the same experience. On my last 3-4 CE trips, I noticed that the champagne has not been chilled. What's that all about? Is this the norm now?

As you can see it is an important topic!!
Welcome to FlyerTalk final_call, and a very special welcome to the BA branch, especially so with such an important topic!

One of my pet peeves when flying is the temperature of the champagne. I like my champagne property chilled and I find many airlines experience difficulty getting this right, especially so pre-departure. I find QR and AA to be the worst culprits for this.

In Club Europe, whilst I don't recall ever having it served it warm, sometimes I find the temperature is not quite cool enough. The Champagne de Castelnau needs to be properly chilled to enjoy it.

Hopefully your future flights will have properly chilled bubbles. Welcome aboard ^
Old Aug 28, 2017, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Tobias, thanks all. Hopefully I will see an improvement soon

Just for the record, on all occasions, they were small bottles, which was why I was concerned. However, all of you have giving some hope now!!
Old Aug 28, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I can't remember having any problems in the past.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by TheOldMan
I can't remember having any problems in the past.
I've encountered many, many, instance of inadequately chilled white wines [fizzy or not] on BA l/h. Not so bad on BA s/h, and not been caught on AA [yet].
Old Aug 28, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Welcome to FlyerTalk final_call, and a very special welcome to the BA branch, especially so with such an important topic!

One of my pet peeves when flying is the temperature of the champagne. I like my champagne property chilled and I find many airlines experience difficulty getting this right, especially so pre-departure. I find QR and AA to be the worst culprits for this.

In Club Europe, whilst I don't recall ever having it served it warm, sometimes I find the temperature is not quite cool enough. The Champagne de Castelnau needs to be properly chilled to enjoy it.

Hopefully your future flights will have properly chilled bubbles. Welcome aboard ^
But not too cold - 8C is fine. It's not a beer.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: BA Exec
On shorthaul, bottles of champagne, whether large or small should be loaded in the top drawer of the bar trollies. There is a slot/shelf at the top of most bar trollies where small bags of dry ice are loaded. This should in theory help to keep the bottles chilled. It doesn't always; and catering sometimes forget to load dry ice.

Shorthaul aircraft are not fitted with chillers in the front galleys. On the shorter flights, where the small bottles are loaded, it's possible to place a few bottles onto ice in the insulated boxes containing ice cubes - but this isn't an official method.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
No champagne should be served cold. BA rarely make the mistake with me on board as I have claimed avios for not chilled champagne on a flight from LCA-LHR!!
Old Aug 28, 2017, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The low quality (highly acidic) CE champagne wants to be served colder than it usually is. At least that's my opinion.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Yes champagne as with most drinks which need to be served cool should be cool on the tounge not a alcoholic lollipop. I don't find refridgerated wines very palitable, better served on ice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.