Wiki Posts
Search

Kid's meals

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Kid's meals

Why do they not load kid's meals automatically? Surely when you buy tickets for a 3 year old and a 5 year old it's not unreasonable to expect age appropriate meals to be loaded without having to go through a special order.....

Fair enough I didn't double check, so according to the CC its entirely my fault that my kids went hungry.
Both choices on last nights LHR-YYZ were spicy curries which seemed poor even forgetting the children. Not everyone like Indian food!
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
It is a common problem , but to be fair it is your duty to select a child meal as your children might have special dietary requirements....

A better alternative is a pro-active email reminding you or to select it during the booking process.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:45 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Not all children eat the children's meal offerings. What if they are vegetarian as well? Kids meals are often meat based.

Sorry but I tend to side with CC on this one. However, on 4 recent CC flights the child's meal was only given once. Not sure if the other meals were meant for both children and adults based on time of day.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by madfish
Not all children eat the children's meal offerings. What if they are vegetarian as well? Kids meals are often meat based.

Sorry but I tend to side with CC on this one. However, on 4 recent CC flights the child's meal was only given once. Not sure if the other meals were meant for both children and adults based on time of day.
Well I think if I had children with special dietary requirements then it is reasonable to expect me to order something specifically.

But not ever loading a kid's meal because of the off chance it might not meet a special dietary requirement seems like a cop out. Especially when the only other offerings are clearly not suitable for all ages.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by fourspoons
Especially when the only other offerings are clearly not suitable for all ages.
The problem is that not every child eats or needs a kids meal. Out of my two nephews, one would be quite happy with an adult meal and in fact would probably be unhappy with a kids meal, the other probably wouldn't eat anything, even a kids meal. I know when I was traveling as a child, I just ate what was offered on the plane, never expecting a "kids meal."
NoTravelIsFree likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It's 100% your responsibility, many parents bring there children up eating the same food as adults including curries, personally I think the children's meals are too much sugar based brown food.
SK, orbitmic, LondonAndy and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:01 am

My kids would only eat adult meals from 4 onwards.Especially spicy curries.
SK and orbitmic like this.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by wrp96
The problem is that not every child eats or needs a kids meal. Out of my two nephews, one would be quite happy with an adult meal and in fact would probably be unhappy with a kids meal, the other probably wouldn't eat anything, even a kids meal. I know when I was traveling as a child, I just ate what was offered on the plane, never expecting a "kids meal."
Indeed. If BA just routinely plonked plates of chicken nuggets in front of every passenger under the age of (18?, 12?, 10?, 6? what exactly?) this forum would be deluged with complaints from parents whose offspring would have preferred the curry or the salad or the steak (well that one might be arguable!) that adults get. It's up to parents to plan for their children when organising a flight, and since parents will be best placed to decide what their kids might want it seems reasonable to me to leave it to parents to order a kid's meal or not, as the case might be.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I am totally on BA's side on that one. I know many children, including pretty small ones, who prefer to eat off the regular menu rather than 'kids meals' which are all too predictable. In fact, most of my friends educate their kids to eat any and everything just like adults and would be absolutely livid if their kids were presented with BA's conception of a child's meal.
rapidex likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: BA Oneworld
Originally Posted by fourspoons
Why do they not load kid's meals automatically?
My experience has been that they do, if that is the preference established in the passenger profile in the BAEC. The kids meal is okay but it tends to be a politically correct healthy meal (low salt, no seasoning etc) that anyone over 5 years may find a bit dull. The adult meals are much more diverse and that is what some kids (mine included) prefer. If your kids like unsalted diced carrots and chicken, feel free to order that.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Oh you lucky people, we are just beginning to exit the 'white diet'.

You would be surprised how many dietary items you can claim with a straight face are 'white'...
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by VH-RMD
Oh you lucky people, we are just beginning to exit the 'white diet'.

You would be surprised how many dietary items you can claim with a straight face are 'white'...
Iceberg lettuce is white and goes well with white dip (ranch dressing). Or at least that's how we convinced my picky eater nephew to eat it. He's the one that refuses to eat anything on a plane.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by wrp96
Iceberg lettuce is white and goes well with white dip (ranch dressing). Or at least that's how we convinced my picky eater nephew to eat it. He's the one that refuses to eat anything on a plane.
I hear you!

Miss VH-RMD even thinks sparking water is 'spicy'...
NoTravelIsFree likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by VH-RMD
This could be SO badly misinterpreted!
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred Plus, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I think people are being a bit unfair on the OP here. I have two young kids and it's not like BA go out of their way to tell you about your options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.