Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Calls on Border Force to cut immigration delays

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Calls on Border Force to cut immigration delays

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2017, 1:30 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by IverTheCat
Interesting post. Not quite sure I follow one aspect of it though.

Which images appear on the control officer's screen before the passport is presented? Surely just an image of the individual within the gate, and nothing else, until the passport is presented?
Yes, the booth images appear first, and are switched to the front camera above the patten, where you're invited to stare at that white box. Then the other images appear after the passport has been scanned, and the data linked. I think the officer only deals with facial recognition towards the end of the process (so after the data validation), but there are several gates being controlled simultaneously by one officer.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: MUCCI Classe des Flatteurs Preferes, LH SEN, BA silver, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Plat
Last time I arrived at T5 I had kids with me so had to use the EU family queue. It took ages due to a large number of passengers in front of us travelling on Italian or French identity cards who weren't able to use the e-gates.

They didn't proactively invite passengers travelling with infants to the front of the queue which I have seen at other airports.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Long JB
I did laugh at this press release. Yes waiting a further hour at immigration having just spent x hours in one of our dirty aeroplanes without a meal or wifi. Glasshouses and all that.

In all seriousness the process is pretty poor, closed egates when the are massive queues of tired people is never good and all too often occurrence at LHR. Crikey even the US have upped their game, last 3 times gone through in less than 10 mins, just lucky maybe. LAX, SEA & YYZ.
I think they were really starting to raise the issue as the full changes from leaving the EU arent fully known as of yet.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 2:12 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Originally Posted by madfish
Contrast this to DUB around 8pm when there were at least 6 EU staffed desks open. Of course, the other side of the coin is US immigration.
Not my experience. LHR immigration is a shambles. Came back from DUB in July and it was 45 minutes from arriving at e-gate queue to passing through immigration. Some of that was stupid people who ignored the instructions to remove glasses, etc. Many of the US airports such as LAX, SFO, BOS, SEA to name a few that I have been through recently have been a breeze.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by IverTheCat
Interesting post. Not quite sure I follow one aspect of it though.

Which images appear on the control officer's screen before the passport is presented? Surely just an image of the individual within the gate, and nothing else, until the passport is presented?
Nothing appears on the officer's screen until the passport has been presented. At this point you are queued for a fraction of a second while they deal with another gate and your other data is retrieved.

Assuming all all other checks are green, the officer sees your booth picture, your passport picture and the database picture.

There is one upside in non-biometric face recognition - I don't bother removing my glasses nor my headphones anymore 😊
Old Aug 25, 2017, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
Not my experience. LHR immigration is a shambles. Came back from DUB in July and it was 45 minutes from arriving at e-gate queue to passing through immigration. Some of that was stupid people who ignored the instructions to remove glasses, etc. Many of the US airports such as LAX, SFO, BOS, SEA to name a few that I have been through recently have been a breeze.
I thought you don't go through immigration after a flight from Dublin.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 3:02 pm

IMHO , the best system ever worldwide was the UK IRIS. Been to 70+ countries and have entered the UK 200+ times. That's with a US passport.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 3:03 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by barnet
I thought you don't go through immigration after a flight from Dublin.
I assumed he meant a flight into DUB showing a different experience to mine.

On the other hand we waited over an houtvatvBOS last month and only that shirt because we eventually jumped the queue as we had an infant with us.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 3:36 pm

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
Originally Posted by anc305
IMHO , the best system ever worldwide was the UK IRIS. Been to 70+ countries and have entered the UK 200+ times. That's with a US passport.
Agree.
Was so quick and worked every single time, without ever having to interact with a surly UK border person.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 3:43 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Takiteasy
There is one upside in non-biometric face recognition - I don't bother removing my glasses nor my headphones anymore 😊
I get rejected by the UK gates if I leave my glasses on. My thinking is that it's harder for the officers to positively match a digital image quickly when one has glasses and one doesn't. But I've been asked to remove my glasses at the staffed desks too.

Interestingly I am wearing glasses in my Australian passport photo, but the Smartgate doesn't work unless I take them off.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
A lot of the e-Gate queue length (50% or more at times) is self inflicted by the passenger/users of egates.

Frequently the roped meandering queue is headed by someone who stops at head of queue waiting for an empty egate... wjich then self perpetuates. Passengers are meant to move off roped queue and line up 3-4 deep behind each active egate.

Then there are those passengers that get inside an egate, and only then look in all their pockets for passport wasting more time. I have my passport opened/ready to slide onto glass as soon as inside an e-gate
Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by flatlander
Not that the Border Force show concern for personal distress in many other situations.
it.
Absolutely. This is an organisation not fit for purpose and lacking any customer service skill or interest. The response that they make no apology for carrying out important work is risible. When I, as a British Citizen can now enter the US (without global entry) faster than I can returning home is simply unacceptable.

The machines fail fail more often than the work and the attitude of the staff,management and government is outrageous.

Back in April I had an incident when my 13 year old son was separated from the family when his passport failed to clear the machine. I had been behind him but it was mayhem and as my wife and daughter had both got through the same machine I allowed my self to be redirected. I passed only to see him being ushered into the now enormous queue of other failed passports.

i was waiting against the wall at the very rear of the hall when the officer stood up and announced that unless I moved he would stop work. I tried to explain that I was trying to keep my son in view but he was having none of it. I left as he was threatening and went to locate a supervisor. When I found someone I was told that if my son was old enough to use a machine he was old enough to queue alone.

They don't have a clue, they have no concept of safeguarding at any level ( I complained through all the formal channels). Their manner is aggressive and unpleasant and I am afraid that they represent the ever increasingly prevalent daily mail and daily express culture of closed minds and closed borders. It's nasty but it is Britain today!
lhrpete, NWIFlyer, Calchas and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by MPH1980
This charge keeps coming up - e.g. there is no automation, someone is manually approving every person - I'll keep refuting it.
Clearly technology is employed, and there is an element of automation.

But it's not simply a matter of facial recognition, which is inevitably the focus of public attention.

The data encoded on the chip in the passport are sifted through databases. This audit returns information to the control booth which allows the agent to intervene if something jars, otherwise if Mr/Ms Agent is happy with the congruity of photos from booth and chip the gate opens.

So agents are pulling levers to deny entry rather mechanically intervening to allow entry. The joy of the system is that the agent is much more efficiently employed. Not only can a single BF agent monitor a number of gates, the faff of getting into the booth and positioning your passport takes up your time, but the equivalent at immigration wastes both your time and that of the BF agent.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 1:44 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by flyingbee
Last time I arrived at T5 I had kids with me so had to use the EU family queue. It took ages due to a large number of passengers in front of us travelling on Italian or French identity cards who weren't able to use the e-gates.

They didn't proactively invite passengers travelling with infants to the front of the queue which I have seen at other airports.

I thought EU citizens (apart from the Irish) had to have a passport and ID cards without passport would be sent back (with a big fine to the airline)?
Old Aug 26, 2017, 1:49 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Worcester
I thought EU citizens (apart from the Irish) had to have a passport and ID cards without passport would be sent back (with a big fine to the airline)?
Gibraltar, Sovereign Bases, EEA and Swiss can travel on ID cards. Some EU ID cards are not machine readable (Greece and Italy) so take extra long to process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.