Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

500 Avios bonus for £20 BA Amex spend via selected retailers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

500 Avios bonus for £20 BA Amex spend via selected retailers

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: OneWorld, Star Alliance, SkyTeam, AMEX
Originally Posted by cosmo74
I ordered a few things thinking it would cover the £25 spend - but because they ended up being from a few different sellers no single invoice reached £25 and the bonus wasn't triggered.
This is what happened here too. I placed a single order but Amazon split it into multiple AMEX charges. No bonus triggered.

Last edited by johnspenceruk; Aug 25, 2017 at 9:56 am Reason: typos
Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Probably best to buy a giftcard then... that definitely works, because it's what I did!
Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by 710 77345
The offer should work on marketplace sellers and across multiple orders.
Just save yourself grief, buy a £25 Amazon E gift card. Code arrived in 30 seconds, add it your Amazon account and you can then buy whatever you want. Bonus definitely triggers.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
Just save yourself grief, buy a £25 Amazon E gift card. Code arrived in 30 seconds, add it your Amazon account and you can then buy whatever you want. Bonus definitely triggers.
Totally forgot about the 1000 avios offer so spent ages trying to find it in the AMEX offers and could'nt see...only to find it saved in My Offers doh
Old Aug 25, 2017, 9:25 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
Originally Posted by Raffles
Why even bother with a gift card? I just topped up my balance.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 9:28 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
Originally Posted by 710 77345
The offer should work on marketplace sellers and across multiple orders.
Amex say this:

• Offer not valid on purchases made with Market Place Sellers, Amazon Prime or subscriptions to Amazon Prime.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 9:41 am

Just got an email from AMEX to say "You have just used your Amazon offer" as confirmation of it being used...will wait patiently and see if the points are posted..
Old Aug 25, 2017, 10:10 am
In Memoriam

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
Irritated to get the email but not find anything on my accounts.

I was all set to excitingly pay an extra 4p a litre too.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: BA Gold
If you call they will add it to your account. they are having tech issues ...
Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
I had the Amazon offer on both my BA and Gold cards and made what I thought were 2 eligible purchases. BA card purchase triggered a more or less instant response confirming the bonus Avios but nothing on the Gold card after 3 weeks.

I think a gift card purchase might be in order after reading this thread.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: OneWorld, Star Alliance, SkyTeam, AMEX
Originally Posted by IMetThePieMan
I don't know what the T&Cs say, but I suspect that these won't be eligible. Your items were sold by Ambiel-a, Sipaarna and ClickJunkie, rather than being sold by Amazon direct. I reckon that the P&P charge is probably not applicable either, but I can't be sure.

Is the offer showing on your Amex account as having been used?
No, it does not say it has been used. I think it is a bit disingenuous on AMEX(Amazon?) side to write:

"Save to Card to get 500 bonus Avios on spend of £25+ online at Amazon by 17/09/17. Valid once per Card for the first 20,000 Cardmembers to save. Terms, delivery and payment restrictions apply."

... without mentioning it explicitly in the offer itself that Amazon purchases do not qualify (unless fulfilled directly by Amazon, a tiny fraction of my purchase history and pretty useless without having to mess around with gift vouchers).

I'd think many (most?) people would assume that all purchases on Amazon qualify (other than Prime). This should be mentioned in the offer itself without folks having to go to T&C's.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by dsf
Why even bother with a gift card? I just topped up my balance.
Thank you - worked a treat!
Old Aug 25, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: Varies
I bought a £25 amazon gift card for myself; the 1,000 bonus avios are showing on my Amex statement but haven't been transferred to BA yet.

I phoned Amex to add today's 500 bonus offer to my card. They asked me to phone them again after my £20 spend ; due to technical issues they need to add them manually. I'll see if I can use my Amex to buy stamps at the Post Office.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
And it has just hit my account, and now viewable as an offer.. details as follows for the 500 Avios offer:

OFFER TERMS
Offer valid online at ocado.com, in-store and online at whsmith.co.uk and in-store only at Shell and Post Office.
Offer is only intended for the targeted recipient of this offer.
Additional purchase and location exclusions apply for Ocado, WH Smith and Post Office. Please click here to view these exclusions.
Valid once per UK Card for the first 20,000 Cardmembers to save.
Only valid on orders delivered to the UK and not valid on orders paid on finance.
Offer only applies to spend made in Great British Pound (GBP) on the Card to which the offer is saved, including an American Express Card loaded into a mobile payment wallet.
Offer does not apply to spend on other Cards you might hold and is not valid for transactions made using Payment Aggregators including, but not limited to, PayPal.
An awarded credit may be reversed if qualifying transaction is refunded or cancelled.
Credit should appear on your billing statement within 5 days from qualifying spend but may take up to 90 days from 24 September 2017.
For full offer terms and more details about statement credits click here. By saving the offer to your Card, you agree to the offer terms.
And more:

Everyday Spending - Terms and Conditions

Post Office
 Offer valid over the counter only.
 Offer excludes online transactions and purchases made at self-service kiosks.
 Offer available across all products and services where Credit Card and Charge Card payments are
accepted. Some products and services can only be purchased with a Debit Card.
 Offer excluded Post Office broadband and phone purchases.

Ocado
 Delivery slots subject to availability and location. To check if Ocado deliver in your area, please
visit ocado.com/postcode.
 Minimum spend excludes tobacco products, postage stamps, infant formula, the purchase of
Ocado gift vouchers, and food donations with Ocado.
 Deliveries limited to one per day.
 Standard minimum spend is £40 per order.
 Spend with Smart Pass, Fetch and Sizzle is excluded from the offer.

WH Smiths
 Offer not valid on purchases of Ebooks.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 4:24 pm

I seem to be missing out on all the interesting offers with Amex these days. Keep getting discounts on restaurants in Leeds - which are no use whatsoever - but nothing on services I'd actually use/consider using, like these. Sigh. So much for targeted advertising...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.