Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA WT+ or AA Premium Economy?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2018, 3:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mcgol
A year on and I am hoping there is more people with experience on this out there.

Need to fly back JFK-LHR in October and have the choice of AA 777 PE or BA 747 PE. Price difference between the two is GBP40, so not worth considering. The outbound will already be on the BA 747 in PE, but that's a day flight so I do not care too much about it - the return leg is the overnight flight and I need to go to the office the next morning, so with me being 193 tall (6.2) I do care if one of the two products is just marginal better than the other for sleeping...

Also, does anyone know if there is any chance of being upgraded on AA? Yes, I know "you should buy the seat you want to fly", but I need to fly PE on this one and if my chances are higher on one airline than the other to potentially get the upgrade (while the hard products are similar) it would be worth for me to favour that airline.

So, any more views on this since last year August?

Thank you
As far as the chance of upgrade is concerned, most people would agree that your elite status with the airlines is the most important factor.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 3:30 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Originally Posted by Mama
As far as the chance of upgrade is concerned, most people would agree that your elite status with the airlines is the most important factor.
I've found this to be the oposite with BA. God knows what their algorythm is. I've seen Blues magic beeped before Golds.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver. Back of the plane on everyone else.
Have flown PE on both BA (various routes) and AA (JFK-LHR) in the recent-ish past.

On a route like JFK-LHR, I'd probably take AA. The seat felt slightly more spacious, I usually prefer AA's IFE selections, and service is a Russian roulette in either case.

Weirdly, I do think the newest BA seats recline a little more - which means when the person in front of you is all the way back, it can feel like you have very little space and are staring at the top of their head. Didn't have this problem on AA.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
I've found this to be the oposite with BA. God knows what their algorythm is. I've seen Blues magic beeped before Golds.
Seems to be some anecdotal evidence that BA upgrade first time WT+ flyers to CW. Perhaps as a 'if you are willing to pay extra for WT+, look at what a little more could buy'.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 5:12 am

Programs: BA Gold
I’ve just flown 4 sectors on the AA Premium Economy, MAN-PHL, PHL-SFO, SFO-PHL, PHL-MAN.

The internal flights booked as Economy, TATL as PE.

The hard product.
on entering the plane it does look very smart, the seats are comfy, if a little on the hard side. Seat controls for recline / foot stool a total mystery which one to press, and the power sockets hidden under the armrest very awkward to reach (mains didn’t work). Most if not all seats had overhead individual air vents.

IFE.
Very good, large high resolution, touch responsive screens. Plenty of film choices which for some had a leading comment stating they have been un edited from the original.

Which seats.
I had 6C, 6F, 6A and then 6F. All bulkhead.

For MAN- PHL leg, there was a net curtain across the RHS aisle entry restricting toilet which discouraged some. As a result the LHS toilet was being used very frequently so being in 6C wasn’t great.

For the return PHL-SFO overnight, the curtain wasn’t used, but as a night flight there were less people using the loos (either side).

Saying that, the biggest issue were the bulkhead screens showing the route. Fine on a daytime flight but at night when the cabin lights are dimmed you then have 3 large screens facing you. For some reason these are left on all flight.

For this reason I’d not choose row 6 for a night time flight again. You might be ok for A or H if you can turn and face the windows.

Of the 3 seats I selected, 6A was the best option.. minimal light disruption from the loos (you can’t see the door opening). Plenty of leg room, easy access around 6B.

6F was a great seat. 6C the worst of those I sat in.

For the outbound we were given blanket, pillow and head phones. For the return the blanket was replaced with a lightweight duvet, pillow but no headphones or eye mask. One of the CC came round offering ear phones.

Food and dining.
MAN-PHL I selected the chicken curry which was pretty good tasty, served within 1/2 hour. Wine served in a plastic cup so I opted for an IPA. For the return a beef dish. Was ok but nothing to write home about. Breakfast arriving into Manchester was the best of all, a very fresh fruit salad with yoghurt.

What about the service.
Don’t know what it is about American, but the CC are functional vs personal. They did a good job overall.

————————-

For the internal USA flights on the same plane, rows 6-9 (prem economy) are offered as economy. This time no blankets and you get to buy food.. although being Gold / Emerald I was given my food - a cheese selection - FOC, really nice.

And finally the comfort.
There are a few comments the seats are hard. I’d second this and add BA’s WTP are more comfortable, with what felt like more seat for your legs. Getting comfortable for the last flight home wasn’t easy but by then I’d had 4 1/2 hours to PHL in the same seat before my last route home, albeit with a 3hr layover.

Would I use the service again.
Absolutely, especially when MAN-PHL-SFO return in PE was several Ł100’s (I think Ł700 ish) less than a older BA WTP.

The route netted me 320 TP with the PHL stop over vs 180 direct, but took a few hours longer. Another benefit. However any possibility of upgrade with AA is reserved for their elites whereas on BA there is a chance, or pay for POUG.

If I only had the choice of direct flights and assume both use the same airports , AA for the daytime (IFE) and BA for the comfier return (Sleep). But with an eye mask, one flight and maybe a cushion AA I think I’d be on AA.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:56 am

Having done another AA PE the other day (US-EU), it was actually much better than the one a couple of weeks before. First, and somewhat importantly, one of the cabin crew actually took time when everyone had settled to welcome us to their (AA) 'new' AA product (being a small cabin - this is possible without the PA), and explained all the features of the seat (not least where to find the headphone socket - which is in the most stupid place that anyone could put it - although at least you couldn't knock it!). Second, the food was better - this time it was beef or pasta, and although not a 'premium' meal, the beef was passible (and much better than the so-called chicken a couple of weeks ago); wine was still sloshed into the plastic cups though. I did go with the breakfast this time - a large tray of cut fruit, yogut and a sort-of cinnamon roll (or something) - which was pretty substantial.

As noted above, the seat is a little hard; airvents were to be had (A330). Toilets - annoyingly, those on the RH side were told, in no uncertain terms that they could not use the toilet two feet away since that was the business one (or at least one of), and that the RH side PE had to use the one down the back (or at least half-way). Noise from the galley was a pain - there always seemed to be some clanking, chattering or something going one - and people leaving the loo door open on the LH side (!).

One other thing I noted was that the AA internal connecting flight in the US seemed to attract 20 TPs (for all of about 23 minutes in the air), whereas I'm sure a connecting BA flight within the EU would only be 10 (or even 5 TPs) - and it was a BA ticketed AA flight.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: TK *G, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Mama
In a few weeks I will do LHR-DFW-GRU and back in AA premium economy, this is my first time in their PE cabin but i've travelled in BA and CX PE a lot and had plenty of upgrades to business.
I would expect AA to be upgrading more people as most USA based airlines do. They hand out upgrade certificates to their frequent flyers and even upgrade people just based on status (instead of the cabin being full). So based on that I would think it more likely that those booked in PE are upgraded to business (to make room for those upgrading from economy to PE). My first flight (LHR-DFW) shows all seats occupied in PE but about 18 free in business, so that seems a prime candidate for upgrades. And as with all airlines with PE the PE cabin is quite small. If they upgrade 10 people from PE to business that's about 30% of all passengers upgraded. If they upgrade 10 from economy to PE that's only about 5% of the passengers. So based on the numbers the upgrade chance is much higher (your status will still be important in joining that 30% though).
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:31 am

Nice thoughts about the upgrades, but I didn't see any on the trips I've done - either econ-PE or PE-business - and the PE cabin was full. It would be interesting to see if anyone had experience of this - particularly if BAEC travelling on AA.

(To show what little things make me happy - I did get into the BA First bit of their lounge at PHL - primarily since I couldn't find the AA one, although having been in there, the business lounge actually seemed to have better offerings!).
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by 1010101
Seems to be some anecdotal evidence that BA upgrade first time WT+ flyers to CW. Perhaps as a 'if you are willing to pay extra for WT+, look at what a little more could buy'.
Exactly what happened to me on one of the 4 occasions I've been upgraded, the first time I paid for WT+ (also twice on my birthday, and once on a flight to possibly OSL.)

Did have both seats to myself last time I flew BA WT+ although you do lose a lot of real estate once the seat in front fully reclines. No sure how AA compares but the bulky centre consoles do restrict some access to the aisle from the window seats.

Last edited by xenole; Oct 16, 2018 at 8:46 am
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by riku2
I would expect AA to be upgrading more people as most USA based airlines do. They hand out upgrade certificates to their frequent flyers and even upgrade people just based on status (instead of the cabin being full).
While I would agree with this in principle, what seems to be happening with AA is that when it comes to upgrades on a flight with a PE cabin then upgrades are processed from Coach directly to Business. PE is ignored when it comes to upgrades. In fact I don't think you can even apply to be upgraded if you're in the PE cabin, nor can you redeem your AAdvantage miles for a seat in the PE cabin.

Last edited by Prospero; Oct 16, 2018 at 11:56 pm Reason: repair quotation frame
Old Oct 16, 2018, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Geordie405
Originally Posted by riku2
I would expect AA to be upgrading more people as most USA based airlines do. They hand out upgrade certificates to their frequent flyers and even upgrade people just based on status (instead of the cabin being full).
While I would agree with this in principle, what seems to be happening with AA is that when it comes to upgrades on a flight with a PE cabin then upgrades are processed from Coach directly to Business. PE is ignored when it comes to upgrades. In fact I don't think you can even apply to be upgraded if you're in the PE cabin, nor can you redeem your AAdvantage miles for a seat in the PE cabin.
I've been upgraded several times from PE to business on oversold AA flights LHR-JFK as an AA plat on a paid PE fare - as were many others in the PE cabin.

Last edited by Prospero; Oct 16, 2018 at 11:56 pm Reason: repair quotation frame
Old Oct 16, 2018, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
So this was an operational upgrade? I was referring to using a SWU or miles / copay for an upgrade. I still think that holds true, as well as the point about not being able to redeem miles for PE.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 11:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Geordie405
So this was an operational upgrade? I was referring to using a SWU or miles / copay for an upgrade. I still think that holds true, as well as the point about not being able to redeem miles for PE.
The “upgrade with miles” section of AA.com lists mileage upgrades from PE. But you are correct that you cannot redeem miles to book an AA flight in PE.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
just did the "new" or "true" PE product on AA LHR-JFK last night. i'll admit i was impressed! the seat is basically a domestic first seat which is perfectly comfy for a 7hr flight.

i found the service to be the typical NYC-based coldness, however they were still nice and present through the whole flight.

the veg option of food (or chicken) was delicious, and of course the panasonic entertainment on the 773 left plenty of options as usual.

basically i'd do AA PE on the 77W any day along w BA PE on A380.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by hbtr

The “upgrade with miles” section of AA.com lists mileage upgrades from PE. But you are correct that you cannot redeem miles to book an AA flight in PE.
Also you can upgrade with SWU from PE to Business. I did that few weeks ago for my LAX-SYD flight. The only hassle is that once you get upgraded the ticket class is changed from PE to Economy resulting in incorrect miles to the FF account. A simple call to Customer Service takes care of that and they fix it instantaneously after checking your original ticket.

At the moment it doesn't make a difference if you are in Economy or PE for upgrade to Business

AA forum has few threads on the PE to business upgrade with SWU/miles+copay
Geordie405 likes this.

Last edited by flyer0123; Oct 17, 2018 at 8:31 am Reason: Spelling & formatting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.