Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA WT+ or AA Premium Economy?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:01 am

That's interesting. I've been denied access to the AA Arrivals lounge as a GCH travelling in Y on AA.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
So it's interesting to see one of my threads resurrected. I had written a comparison of BA, AA and JL Premium Economy after a trip to HKG / SIN via NRT with AA and JL and it can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...1&postcount=52

I still think that the AA PE product is very good indeed. I haven't had a chance to fly with AA on anything other than the 789 so not sure how it compares on the 77W or 772.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
That's interesting. I've been denied access to the AA Arrivals lounge as a GCH travelling in Y on AA.
frequently or just once?

But the AA website clearly states:

Arrivals Lounge

London Heathrow (LHR)

Access

Flying American Airlines?

You can enter the Arrivals Lounge if you flew on American to LHR on a same-day flight and are*:
  • Flying in Flagship® First or Flagship® Business
  • AAdvantage® Executive Platinum
  • AAdvantage® ConciergeKeySM
  • oneworld® EmeraldSM
  • British Airways Premier
*Flights must be marketed and operated by American, or marketed by British Airways and operated by American. Customers traveling on airline industry non-revenue tickets can't access.

Which in my case (Marketed BA and operated AA) would give me access according to this. Did you have an avios ticket by any chance?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:23 am

No it was a cash ticket marketed and operated by AA. And I only tried once because I thought that was the rule. Annoyingly I've probably come through half a dozen more times since then,

Oh well, I'll know next time.
mcgol likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Geordie405
So it's interesting to see one of my threads resurrected. I had written a comparison of BA, AA and JL Premium Economy after a trip to HKG / SIN via NRT with AA and JL and it can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...1&postcount=52

I still think that the AA PE product is very good indeed. I haven't had a chance to fly with AA on anything other than the 789 so not sure how it compares on the 77W or 772.
Tried to not start a new thread but reuse an old one...

I think I am tempted to try what AA has to offer, I am slightly concerned by WindowontheAside not being granted access to the AA arrivals lounge but I would hope that this was a one off.

Assuming that in terms of lounges at the JFK side I would have access to the same lounges anyway as both are OW...? And no, I have never flown out of JFK (at least not with Oneworld) so I am not familiar with the lounge/check in situation for OWE...
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:37 am

I have my own first AA PE on a 77W coming up in a couple of weeks (LHR-MIA) followed by a WT+ out of JFK (Hi-J 747) a week later. I am interested to see how they compare as I'm normally happy enough in WT+.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
I have my own first AA PE on a 77W coming up in a couple of weeks (LHR-MIA) followed by a WT+ out of JFK (Hi-J 747) a week later. I am interested to see how they compare as I'm normally happy enough in WT+.
Please do update this thread, if you can be bothered, about what you thought.

Unfort I will need to buy my ticket this week and wont be able to wait, but I think it would still be good to hear what you thought - i shall do the same (if I end up booking AA - which is very likely atm)
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:10 pm

I will do - if I remember
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: BAEC - Silver, Virgin Flying Club, Delta Skymiles
Chiming in on the chorus for some info on the AA PE product on that aircraft - considering it to LAX next June direct from London rather than trundling through Stockholm to pick up the (pretty decent) SAS service.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by mcgol

Which in my case (Marketed BA and operated AA) would give me access according to this. Did you have an avios ticket by any chance?
Marketed by BA and operated by AA should give you access.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
I flew AA PE in July for the first time. LHR > JFK. I’ve flown BA WT+ (old and new) dozens of times.

was a BA code share booked through BA.com so I got the bonus Avios.

Overall I’d say AA was a better experience than BA. Here’s my absolutely subjective view about some specifics

AA wins:
> IFE screen (larger than BA WT+, live TV avail)
> Free WiFI. I spent an enjoyable few hours playing Quizup. Quite neat to be able to keep in touch with Mrsdca via IM in-flight
> Food and drink was better than BA. A narrow victory tho
> Blanket and pillow - much better than BA

Score draw:
> The seat. Similar recline to BA. Maybe slightly wider?

BA wins
> The service. The AA crew seemed rather ‘World weary’ and not particularly warm or friendly.

For a day time flight you can’t really go wrong with AA. I’d certainly do it again.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:27 pm
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Many reviews for the BA LHR-LAS WT+ said that it's no better/they would prefer an exit row in WT, and some of those exit rows are very good. That's what I did and didn't regret it (and got CW back via LAX on a380 for a combined cost of not much more than WT+ rtn)

Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:38 pm

Another vote for AA. I flew JFK-LHR earlier this month on the 77W and slept like a baby. It's true that the recline is more limited - but then on BA I find it is often too much and you can barely escape your seat. Food selection way more impressive (great breakfast, esp compared to BA) and the blanket and pillow were appreciated. The departure lounge option (JFK T8 Flagship) is another good reason to prefer AA.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by mcgol
Tried to not start a new thread but reuse an old one...

I think I am tempted to try what AA has to offer, I am slightly concerned by WindowontheAside not being granted access to the AA arrivals lounge but I would hope that this was a one off.

Assuming that in terms of lounges at the JFK side I would have access to the same lounges anyway as both are OW...? And no, I have never flown out of JFK (at least not with Oneworld) so I am not familiar with the lounge/check in situation for OWE...
No AA flies out of (the very nice) T8 and has a very, very nice brand new Flagship lounge that is excellent and BA flies from T7, which is an older terminal that has seen a lot of construction recently. The two are not connected airside. The GF lounge has been in renovation (not sure if it's finished) with OWE passengers directed to the Galleries Club Lounge. Both lounges get crowded at peak times; I've not been in the JFK BA lounges but I'm sure someone else here can opine.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Avis Presidents Club
I've flown AA PE several time, on 787s & 777s. Definitely rate it higher than BA's old PE (on 747s and the LGW 777s). IFE is excellent, in particular. Power & USB sockets in the armrest are a bit fiddly, but no hugely big deal

Sometimes some good PE fares ex-MAD & maybe other EU cities as well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.