Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Another 241 downgrade story - from F - with no [EC261] compo

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another 241 downgrade story - from F - with no [EC261] compo

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2017, 2:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by dougzz
They have no way of knowing the value of the trip to an individual, so why not seek volunteers?
They do seek volunteers if the overbooking is identified early, those checking in during the first hour or so (out of the 3 hours) may well be offered the option. There are separate threads elsewhere describing the nuts and bolts of it, suffice to say it's a form of double jeopardy and not one I would really recommend. Thereafter, if the downgrade procedure is later on then BA doesn't always look for volunteers, particularly not to those already checked in, and given the checked luggage situation you can understand why it is hassle.

What they should do, in my opinion, is take advantage of their App technology to send Notifications to existing checked in customers inviting them to go Customer Services if they are willing to accept £x. They could even tailor it to identify particular segments, such as HBO single travellers, or perhaps those who are on cheap tickets and therefore very happy to be bribed on to the next service.
Jimmie76 and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 2:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by orbitmic
To be honest, i dont think they are worried that they will be downgraded because they have a 2-4-1 but rather that they will be top of the downgrade pecking order if anybody is and personally, i think that they are completely right. Regardless of whether 2-4-1 are targeted as such, as others have pointed out there may be numerous reasons notably related to commercial value, which make a 2-4-1 companion a likely pick. I'm genuinely not sure why this would even be shocking. Some mention surprise that ba would downgrade part of a party rather than solo travellers, but that seems genuinely odd to me as such a policy would typically result in ba always choosing to downgrade business travellers (most likely to fly as groups or families), which would be entirely counter-productive. As for the argument the system is probably not sophisticated enough, I wholly disagree, the whole point of the upgrade/downgrade part of the system is to enable airlines to specify the basis of commercial priority and value. The whole idea that ticket costs could not or would not be part of it sounds rather unconvincing.
They are worried and I have seen the posts and threads on here over the last few months.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 3:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dougzz
A lot of what is said here points greatly towards BA seeking volunteers as a way out of this. The trip somonsmith describes would potentially be spoilt by a one person downgrade, whilst many a business traveller doing F frequently would happily trouser £500 to sit amongst the hoi polloi of CW. They have no way of knowing the value of the trip to an individual, so why not seek volunteers?
Because there is a mandated reimbursement that the airline has to pay and that reimbursement is based upon the distance and fare paid
Old Aug 26, 2017, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by KARFA
They are worried and I have seen the posts and threads on here over the last few months.
Yes they are worried: what I'm saying is that people are not so much worried all 2-4-1 will be downgraded (some are not many) but more are worried when they see their flight is zeroed out(or nearly) in F that IF there is a downgrade they are vulnerable elements, and in my view, regardless of the specifics of the case discussed in this case that's not unreasonable if only for plenty of logical indirect reasons.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 3:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
They do seek volunteers if the overbooking is identified early, those checking in during the first hour or so (out of the 3 hours) may well be offered the option. There are separate threads elsewhere describing the nuts and bolts of it, suffice to say it's a form of double jeopardy and not one I would really recommend. Thereafter, if the downgrade procedure is later on then BA doesn't always look for volunteers, particularly not to those already checked in, and given the checked luggage situation you can understand why it is hassle.

What they should do, in my opinion, is take advantage of their App technology to send Notifications to existing checked in customers inviting them to go Customer Services if they are willing to accept £x. They could even tailor it to identify particular segments, such as HBO single travellers, or perhaps those who are on cheap tickets and therefore very happy to be bribed on to the next service.
I received a call from Special Services last autumn when travelling with 2 family members to LAS via LAX. I was offered the option of flying direct to LAS on the BA275 at 17:15 as First on the 16:20 BA269 (LAX) was oversold (as was Club) and they were looking for volunteers. I declined the offer and we travelled as planned.

And I agree wholeheartedly with your second paragraph.
argonath likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)

That sounds like an eminently sensible suggestion so there's little chance it will actually happen I suppose.
kaka and Calchas like this.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 3:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Yes they are worried: what I'm saying is that people are not so much worried all 2-4-1 will be downgraded (some are not many) but more are worried when they see their flight is zeroed out(or nearly) in F that IF there is a downgrade they are vulnerable elements, and in my view, regardless of the specifics of the case discussed in this case that's not unreasonable if only for plenty of logical indirect reasons.
No. Many of the, have been worried when the flight hasn't been remotely full and are under the impression BA are just downgrading reward and 2-4-1 bookings systematically regardless of how full the cabin is.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 5:38 am

This stacks up for our experience in April. When we were about to check in at MIA roughly 3 hours before departure for the earlier BA206 flight the station manager or similar approached us in the F queue and asked if we'd like to travel on the BA208 a few hours later instead for 'some hotel vouchers or something'? We declined as we just wanted to get home and had 2A and 2K and doubted we'd get such good seats on the later flight.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
No. Many of the, have been worried when the flight hasn't been remotely full and are under the impression BA are just downgrading reward and 2-4-1 bookings systematically regardless of how full the cabin is.
It's very easy for BA to set these people's minds at rest, isn't it? One post on here, from BA, would do it. And yet still there is no response. Why wouldn't BA want to set the record straight? It would mean no more speculation on Head for Points, a well-regarded website with no axe to grind. It would mean no more speculation on FT. And it would head off a potentially difficult conversation with Amex, who is BA's partner in the very lucrative BA Amex card. Why wouldn't BA want to say "We don't do this"?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Disco Volante
It's very easy for BA to set these people's minds at rest, isn't it?
Probably no one at BA has any idea that this fantasy exists.
SK AAR, NWIFlyer and mike&co like this.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: BA blue,, aeroplan 25K
Travelling soon in a "full" F cabin as all seats are showing occupied (although Ba.com is still willing to sell 1 seat in F not 2) YYZ to LHR
on a 2:4:1, assuming it doesn't "oversell" by that 1 seat they seem to willing to oversell the cabin by... we will be fine but if it does oversell are there any suggestions that may avoid being downgraded such as checking in at T-24hrs or getting to the airport early.... or is the selection for downgrade selection completely independent of either number of people on the booking, method of fare (reward, 2:4:1 full payment) status.....assuming it's oversold and no one is either asked to downgrade or offers ?
or am I worrying over nothing.
It happens to be my 60th birthday on the travel date so we thought it would be a treat as we usually travel east in CW.....
Old Oct 9, 2017, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by aircrashsurvivor
Travelling soon in a "full" F cabin as all seats are showing occupied (although Ba.com is still willing to sell 1 seat in F not 2) YYZ to LHR
on a 2:4:1, assuming it doesn't "oversell" by that 1 seat they seem to willing to oversell the cabin by... we will be fine but if it does oversell are there any suggestions that may avoid being downgraded such as checking in at T-24hrs or getting to the airport early.... or is the selection for downgrade selection completely independent of either number of people on the booking, method of fare (reward, 2:4:1 full payment) status.....assuming it's oversold and no one is either asked to downgrade or offers ?
or am I worrying over nothing.
It happens to be my 60th birthday on the travel date so we thought it would be a treat as we usually travel east in CW.....
Stop worrying. It is highly unlikely that your flight will be oversold and even more unlikely that you will be picked for a downgrade.
Don't prepare for the worst because it will not happen and you will ruin your pre flight experience by worrying.

Enjoy your flight in First.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
BA doesn't do this for the same reason that most operating businesses don't deny urban myth fantasies. Deny this one and not the next and people will presume that the other one is true.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:53 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Disco Volante
It's very easy for BA to set these people's minds at rest, isn't it? One post on here, from BA, would do it. And yet still there is no response. Why wouldn't BA want to set the record straight? It would mean no more speculation on Head for Points, a well-regarded website with no axe to grind. It would mean no more speculation on FT. And it would head off a potentially difficult conversation with Amex, who is BA's partner in the very lucrative BA Amex card. Why wouldn't BA want to say "We don't do this"?
So why, on that basis, would anyone reignite a thread which had been dormant for 6 weeks - given the speed with which these things end up unseen at page 15 - and cause potential further speculation plus anxiety for likely no reason?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:04 am

Programs: BA silver
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
So why, on that basis, would anyone reignite a thread which had been dormant for 6 weeks - given the speed with which these things end up unseen at page 15 - and cause potential further speculation plus anxiety for likely no reason?
Well I would guess the reason they reignited the thread is because they have IMO a very valid question. Why do BA not answer? BA are the only ones who could prevent further anxiety and stop the need for speculation.
BA would surely be aware of this topic on these boards.

The fact that there are several threads on this topic and people still posting about it surely indicates people still want to talk about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.