Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA messed up reservation in my favour, what to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2017, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

Hello, long time lurker here. I recently called BA to upgrade a segment in my reservation WT->J using avios (it is an open jaw so not possible to do it online). The call took a long time and the agents seemed confused, but the called finished with the promise that the upgrade had been confirmed. Indeed, on my account that segment shows up confirmed in club (with booking code U which I think is the correct one). But another segment, originally booked in W, is also showing confirmed in club (booking code J) - I never asked for an upgrade for that segment, knowing that there was no avios upgrade availability. This was a week ago, and the ticket was never reissued with these changes. Also, miles were never deducted for the upgrade.

The date of my flight is now approaching and I'm unsure what to do. I don't want to waste time and money calling BA to fix their own mess. Of course I'll be happy to fly in WT+ for the segment that was mistakenly upgraded to J, and I'm fully expecting to be charged for the avios for the upgrade eventually.

Is there any risk that if I show up at the airport (with plenty of time) I won't be able to fly or will be downgraded to Y if e.g. W is sold out by then? (the segment mistakenly rebooked in J is the first one). In case it matters, this will happen at an outstation which AFAIK doesn't have any BA employees.

Thanks!
Old Aug 23, 2017, 11:14 am

I'd let it ride personally.
argonath likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
Say none at all and enjoy your flight
argonath and Dolphin2 like this.

Last edited by Prospero; Aug 23, 2017 at 11:48 am Reason: to comply with rule 16
Old Aug 23, 2017, 11:24 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Welcome to Flyertalk and especially here at the BA Board evaristegalios

Ticketing isn't my thing to be honest but I am sure one of those in the know will be able to give a comprehensive reply.

When is your flight?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 11:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome, evaristegalois, to Flyertalk and the BA forum, it's good to see you here, and I hope that you will be a regular here, we like to see new participants join up with us.

Originally Posted by evaristegalois
I never asked for an upgrade for that segment, knowing that there was no avios upgrade availability. This was a week ago, and the ticket was never reissued with these changes. Also, miles were never deducted for the upgrade.
THe "never reissused" bit manage to confuse me. Do you have a ticket number? That would be an email sent to you after your telephone call, alternatively you can look it up here:
https://classic.checkmytrip.com/plne...&SITE=XCMTXXNS

On the e-ticket tab you should see a number beginning 125 and hopefully a date, which should be after the call. Then the rest of the information.

If this all looks acceptable to you then you are fine. If you haven't been ticketed then it's possible the agent just used a holding process which will be cleared down when the ticket is issued.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the welcome and the quick replies!

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Welcome, evaristegalois, to Flyertalk and the BA forum, it's good to see you here, and I hope that you will be a regular here, we like to see new participants join up with us.

THe "never reissused" bit manage to confuse me. Do you have a ticket number? That would be an email sent to you after your telephone call, alternatively you can look it up here:
https://classic.checkmytrip.com/plne...&SITE=XCMTXXNS

On the e-ticket tab you should see a number beginning 125 and hopefully a date, which should be after the call. Then the rest of the information.

If this all looks acceptable to you then you are fine. If you haven't been ticketed then it's possible the agent just used a holding process which will be cleared down when the ticket is issued.
I tried this. The eticket has the date of my original purchase and actually the problematic segments are not showing at all. On the other hand, in the trip summary the first segment appears twice, "confirmed" in club and "ghost segment need" in WT+ (the segment upgraded with avios shows only once "confirmed" in club).

My flight is in two days, so I doubt anything will happen before getting to the airport.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 11:46 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The eticket has the date of my original purchase, and actually the problematic segments are not showing up at all.
I have a feeling your ticket has not been reissued. I would leave it until 48 hours before travel, but not any longer than that. Do a screen print now, and another at T-48. If it's not making sense you better call up. (OK, I see you are within 2 days, in which case you better call and just ask if your ticket is OK for your immediate sectors, do NOT leave it until the airport.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: BA Gold (woohoo)
I called in to make a reservation a few months ago (BA.com couldn't handle LGA airport) and upgraded a leg to F at the same time. The changes were reflected online but the avios were never taken...

My advice - be wery, wery qwiet!!!
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 12:02 pm

I would check to see if your ticket has been reissued - and either way, if you offered an AUP, take it for sure (this will reticket you in the new cabin)
Old Aug 23, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Had the same situation when I called and enquired about a cash upgrade to F - didn't take it up but in MMB my ticket appeared to be in the F cabin and was even able to select seats. Was an anomaly in the system and while apologetic we flew in our original cabin.

Would expect the worst but follow the advice here (screenshots and taking the AUP if poss).

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Grog and Dolphin2 like this.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 1:38 pm

I also had a similar occurrence; I called up and asked how much a cash upgrade from WT to WT+ would be (at the time the upgrade seemed the only way to re-qualify for gold). The BA agent promised to call back with an answer but the segment appeared in WT+ and I never got a call back. I did nothing until few days before the flight and then called to make sure what was happening. It turned out that the ticket was not re-issued. It took the call-centre some time to handle and at the end the reissued the ticket. In sum, I would strongly recommend to follow C-W-S advice and call few days before the flight otherwise it can get risky.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
What's the difference between fare basis ZBG and BAFM05 ?

I've two different bookings, both been amended and thought they'd be the same?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
What's the difference between fare basis ZBG and BAFM05 ?

I've two different bookings, both been amended and thought they'd be the same?
Both used for avios bookings
Old Aug 23, 2017, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks Anonba didn't realise classic check my trip was working again - both bookings look ticketed and fine but some other issues I won't mention on here !
Old Aug 23, 2017, 1:54 pm

in the trip summary the first segment appears twice, "confirmed" in club and "ghost segment need" in WT+ (the segment upgraded with avios shows only once "confirmed" in club).
The Ghost Need (GN) status suggests that the agent accidentally deleted out the segment when processing the upgrade, and couldn't get the same fare class as the original ticket. In this case, it's common practice to hold a seat in a higher cabin (in this case Club) and request space in the original class, by using GN and queuing it to Revenue Management.

All queues work based on departure date, with next departures being processed first. So either they've not processed the queue yet OR (as I often find) they've placed it on the wrong queue and it won't get looked at.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.