Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

My first long haul economy flight in 17 years

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My first long haul economy flight in 17 years

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Virazuno
Doddle!

Get yourself on an AA 777 in MCE, with the Cathay lounge at T3, and you'll be smiling even more
Or the BA Galleries lounge with a single malt whiskey(:
Old Aug 22, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
Isn't CE basically economy? They're even not bothering with food in some cases...
Old Aug 22, 2017, 3:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PETER01
Tens and tens of thousands people fly Y medium/long every day. It's made out on here like it's walking on hot coals when they have rarely flown it, haven't done so for a long time or/and have been so used to flying in J/F they just can't bring themselves to do it. However for those who get J/F for work and can afford to travel in premium cabins for personal travel then good for you as I would given a choice.

The 86J is perfectly fine in Y for a 7 hour trip to JFK. BerksFlyer, hope you enjoy your flight.

Hopefully our most famous Blue will be along to give his expert advice and give some folks a reality check.

Calling HIDDY!
Well I think you've said it all. It's about time these young uns man up!!

Personally speaking, I now avoid flying long haul in economy class.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:58 pm

Programs: QANTAS, Oneworld
Originally Posted by BerksFlyer
I guess the biggest positive will be that I will appreciate all future premium cabin flights even more!
A sector in Y is a guaranteed cure for any J ennui!
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

17 years? and it was impossible this flight? often in premium economy rather than only J/F?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 1:35 am

As someone that regularly flies long (medium) haul, i have never gone the booze route (and i dont know how young your children are, but if there is one next to you then you are going to have to stay up maybe or be woken up a bunch if they dont fall asleep.

But the following are my tips-
- try and have a proper meal in the terminal beforehand - if you are doing LHR then get some wagamamas or Giraffe.. while the food is ok in economy, its not great and depending on how fussy you are (like me), i tend to only have half
- Bring snacks. They tend to only give you the one meal
- Bring water- i would suggest purchasing a steel double insulated water bottle from TK Maxx/ Amazon as these keep the water super cold for the longest time.
- if you are one that needs eye shades to sleep, you must bring your own as they no longer provide these, nor a toothbrush and toothpaste, nor socks. You pretty much get nothing other than your seat (which sucks as they all used to be provided in economy).
- Bring your own headphones/Ear phones - the ones they supply are terrible (and im pretty sure they will start charging for these soon haha).
- Try and bring an ipad with stuff downloaded on it. if its a full flight and your IFE doesnt work, then you basically have to lump it.
- Its actually not that long to NYC. Make sure you get up and walk a bit as the seats are cramped.

To be fair, the highest class i have ever flown in WT+ and that was on one flight which i was given a complimentary upgrade for so i dont really know much better but i do know the product has declined in the past two years where its only just "bearable". I plan on going to AA next (yes yes i know BA still get the money) because i hear the economy offering is a bit better.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Well well well. for the first time ever the OpUp gods have smiled on me and all four of us are now in W. I noticed the seats had changed as we were on the pod. Our paper boarding passes say WT+ but the app still says WT with the PE seat numbers. I fully expect our WT meals, especially as Youngest BerksFlyer has a child's meal ordered.

Sadly the WT trip report I had planned will have to wait, hopefully for another 17 years!
crazy8534 likes this.

Last edited by BerksFlyer; Aug 23, 2017 at 2:14 am
Old Aug 23, 2017, 2:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by BerksFlyer
Well we'll we'll. for the first time ever the OpUp gods have smiled on me and all four of us are now in W. I noticed the seats had changed as we were on the pod. Our paper boarding passes say WT+ but the app still says WT with the PE seat numbers. I fully expect our WT meals, especially as Youngest BerksFlyer has a child's meal ordered.

Sadly the WT trip report I had planned will have to wait, hopefully for another 17 years!
Congratulations - however in the interests of research you should flatly refuse the upgrade!
Old Aug 23, 2017, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
Congratulations - however in the interests of research you should flatly refuse the upgrade!
I'll spend the next seven or eight hours giving that some thought then get back to you!
Old Aug 23, 2017, 2:23 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The App is behaving normally here. If you get an upgrade to First, for example, it will quite often say "1A Club World". Even if you clear the cache and download again, it tends to stick to the original cabin name even when the seating makes it impossible. Has caught me out a few times when upgraded after boarding.
BerksFlyer likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If you get an upgrade to First, for example, it will quite often say "1A Club World".
And how does one go about getting one of those boarding passes?!
Old Aug 23, 2017, 3:33 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Nice to hear you got 'upped'. Can't say it's a huge surprise, but then again I guess they would have turn down the chance to upsell those seats so good on BA.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Lucky you, especially for four of you, quite a lucky star!!
BerksFlyer likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 4:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold HH Diamond
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Well, if you think you're the hero, spare a thought for me: I'll be flying Y LHR-AKL both ways with only 48 hours in Auckland in between at the start of the Autumn! I'll go QR via DOH so that includes two EIGHTEEN-ish hour segments (one each way!) on the ghastly longest flight in the world!!!

To be honest, why I'm lucky enough to mostly fly J and a fair bit of F long haul (I'm mostly in Y short haul, I find C a complete waste of money), I still do more than occasional long haul Y flights a few times a year. When I am lucky, this is only on transatlantic flights, but I've done Asian ones and yes, Australia and New Zealand returns from Europe too. My last return to AKL was on KL-MH and also for only 48 hours locally, but luckily, KL upgraded me part of the way, which I sadly do not think will happen again with QR as their AKL flights tend to be packed in J!
Ahh, now that is heroic. Am familiar with the LON - AKL journey, racking up 5 of these last year. Various routes, not always direct but always with an F lounge at halfway.

Will be particularly interested in how the DOH-AKL leg goes in Y. Hope there will be a 'war-story' follow up in due course....

As others have remarked, travelling LH in Y is mostly a matter of adjusting one's expectations. Also I've found that removing the temptation to address boredom via the drinks trolley has a significant and positive effect on one's arrival and post-arrival condition.

But only 48 hours in AKL before turning around. Much respect!
Old Aug 23, 2017, 5:07 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by Takiteasy
with which time machine did you book that?
Cruise plus flight booking?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.