Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

My first long haul economy flight in 17 years

My first long haul economy flight in 17 years

Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Well, if you think you're the hero, spare a thought for me: I'll be flying Y LHR-AKL both ways with only 48 hours in Auckland in between at the start of the Autumn! I'll go QR via DOH so that includes two EIGHTEEN-ish hour segments (one each way!) on the ghastly longest flight in the world!!!

To be honest, why I'm lucky enough to mostly fly J and a fair bit of F long haul (I'm mostly in Y short haul, I find C a complete waste of money), I still do more than occasional long haul Y flights a few times a year. When I am lucky, this is only on transatlantic flights, but I've done Asian ones and yes, Australia and New Zealand returns from Europe too. My last return to AKL was on KL-MH and also for only 48 hours locally, but luckily, KL upgraded me part of the way, which I sadly do not think will happen again with QR as their AKL flights tend to be packed in J!
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:15 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Well, if you think you're the hero, spare a thought for me: I'll be flying Y LHR-AKL both ways with only 48 hours in Auckland in between at the start of the Autumn! I'll go QR via DOH so that includes two EIGHTEEN-ish hour segments (one each way!) on the ghastly longest flight in the world!!!
Fair play. That's an itinerary that I would flatly refuse to do.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by V10
I will always prefer to fly, than not to. I am very lucky I get to fly a lot
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:30 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by seaskybound
I will always prefer to fly, than not to. I am very lucky I get to fly a lot
Each to their own, but I know how long it takes my body to recover from a 10 hour long haul these days. I prefer to not take the risk with my health.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
I fly BA LH WT all the time. I get on smiling and get off smiling. In between I sleep for 10hrs + . It seems many in CW/F can't stand their flights.

it's all in the mind
Yes, you are quite right! I have flown BA in all cabins long haul and always had great flights. I only flew WT on a day flight from JFK though so did not need to sleep but I had many WTP overnight flights and a few Hawaii-LAX/DFW flights in economy with AA, and slept like a baby.:-)
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by BerksFlyer
LHR-JFK on an 86J 747 (assuming no change of metal).
Doddle!

Get yourself on an AA 777 in MCE, with the Cathay lounge at T3, and you'll be smiling even more
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: BA Gold; IHG Plat
I fly BA LH WT all the time. I get on smiling and get off smiling. In between I sleep for 10hrs + . It seems many in CW/F can't stand their flights.

it's all in the mind
I actually mainly fly Y, unless I can come along with a reasonable fare (usually exEU with positioning on my account). However, it is sometimes difficult on the l/h routes due to being rather tall and often having meetings almost immediately off the plane. An exit row suffices when I have a few hours to freshen up, but failing that I'd happily cover the difference in cost personally.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Tens and tens of thousands people fly Y medium/long every day. It's made out on here like it's walking on hot coals when they have rarely flown it, haven't done so for a long time or/and have been so used to flying in J/F they just can't bring themselves to do it. However for those who get J/F for work and can afford to travel in premium cabins for personal travel then good for you as I would given a choice.

The 86J is perfectly fine in Y for a 7 hour trip to JFK. BerksFlyer, hope you enjoy your flight.

Hopefully our most famous Blue will be along to give his expert advice and give some folks a reality check.

Calling HIDDY!
crazy8534 and kaffir76 like this.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by V10
I'll admit that it was a close call. I love travelling still despite doing it far too much, but that is really pushing it to the limit, especially when I cannot stay any longer than 48 hours in New Zealand and made worse by the fact that itineraries that seemed more tolerable in Y like CX via HKG or KE via ICN all arrived too late (or departed too early) to be compatible with my commitments either in London on day of departure or in Auckland on day of arrival. Still, one likes to be helpful so to be nice to the people inviting me I decided to say yes at the end. I might of course live to regret it.

Still, in a way, I always feel that my long haul Y trips are necessary to my salubrity and to avoid becoming too arrogant in travel terms. Of course, with that sort of stupid logic, I did end up swimming in the Mediterranean on 1 January a couple of years ago!
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:01 pm

I'll admit that it was a close call. I love travelling still despite doing it far too much, but that is really pushing it to the limit, especially when I cannot stay any longer than 48 hours in New Zealand ...
I'm ever so curious as to the reason for the trip! It's extreme, and planned in advance. Would you indulge us? (I'm on mobile apologies if it's been stated already)
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others

Rather you than me! My longest ever flight in Y was UA ORD-HKG in 2004. At 6'4" after more than 12,500+ km (c.f. DOH-AKL 14,500+ km) I almost had to be levered out of my seat - never again!
20Rothmans likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
I'll admit that it was a close call. I love travelling still despite doing it far too much, but that is really pushing it to the limit, especially when I cannot stay any longer than 48 hours in New Zealand and made worse by the fact that itineraries that seemed more tolerable in Y like CX via HKG or KE via ICN all arrived too late (or departed too early) to be compatible with my commitments either in London on day of departure or in Auckland on day of arrival. Still, one likes to be helpful so to be nice to the people inviting me I decided to say yes at the end. I might of course live to regret it.

Still, in a way, I always feel that my long haul Y trips are necessary to my salubrity and to avoid becoming too arrogant in travel terms. Of course, with that sort of stupid logic, I did end up swimming in the Mediterranean on 1 January a couple of years ago!
at least you have lounge access! = ) for the real Y experience, make do without any lounges and middle seat! haha
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA LtG, Flying Blue Plat
I have my first ever LH Y booking in... Feb 2019. Not that I'm spending a year in therapy
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by ShuttleRunner
I have my first ever LH Y booking in... Feb 2019. Not that I'm spending a year in therapy
with which time machine did you book that?
Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:31 pm

Who says a little alcohol is bad for you A few minis or wine and you'll be there in no time along with IFE. Come on its not so bad. Try and get an aisle in the middle row of the 3-4-3 at the front of the flight or an Emergency Exit or a Duo Seat in the rear of the 747. IF its an Airbus 380 go upper Deck Y.

Also look at WT+ or at online checkin buy up offers to WT+ or J.

I just got back from a CDG-SFO flight on Air France had three plastic cups of champagne, 2 mini bottles of Red Wine and 2 mini bottles of Pear Liquor and was out for 5-6 hours then had the pre-landing meal and stayed up until 8:30 PM and slept well. Took Melatonin a few days before and two days after the flight.

Going to Europe I also had some alcohol and slept for 6 hours then stayed up until 11 PM and took my melatonin and had no jet lag either.

Its all mental!!! Just do everything to get an extra leg room seat and not be next to the restrooms or infants.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.