FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   The numbers don't lie - British Airways is emphatically #1 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1862450-numbers-dont-lie-british-airways-emphatically-1-a.html)

Phil the Flyer Aug 22, 2017 4:07 am

The numbers don't lie - British Airways is emphatically #1

I have just accidentally wandered on to the the Airlines and Mileage Programs page of FlyerTalk. Much to my surprise the British Airways forum is far and away the most popular FT airline forum.

Current figures for Posts and Threads for the top 5 are as follows:

1. British Airways - 2.120 million
2. Delta Air Lines - 1.264 million
3. Air Canada - 1.120 million
4. United Airlines - 1.099 million
5. Lufthansa etc - 0.459 million

Threads
(to the nearest thousand)

1. British Airways - 103k
2. Air Canada - 63k
3. Delta Air Lines - 54k
4. United Airlines - 29k
5. Lufthansa etc - 29k

Not sure what conclusions can be reached from these figures - either about BA as an airline or the BA forum participants.

Paralytic Aug 22, 2017 4:09 am

It is said that people are more likely to complain than praise...

Flexible preferences Aug 22, 2017 4:09 am

Perhaps British Airways stirs up strong feelings in people.

Prospero Aug 22, 2017 4:15 am

Those figures really just tell the number of threads and posts since the inception of each forum as opposed to current traffic figures. Note, the UA, DL (and AA) forums received a reboot following their respective mergers so those figures don’t take into account the full historic activity of the forums.

Worcester Aug 22, 2017 4:18 am

Also, BA is going to have a bit of an advantage on an English language forum over the like of LH & AF.

That said it's a very friendly place.

Phil the Flyer Aug 22, 2017 4:20 am

Originally Posted by Prospero (Post 28720273)

Those figures really just tell the number of threads and posts since the inception of each forum as opposed to current traffic figures. Note, the UA, DL (and AA) forums received a reboot following their respective mergers so those figures don’t take into account the full historic activity of the forums.

I kinda thought that, but still decided to post the published figures anyway. Amidst all the current doom and gloom (most of it fully justified) about BA I thought it would be nice to highlight the fact that BA is #1 at something! ;)

Roger Aug 22, 2017 4:27 am

British Airways is emphatically #1
Come now, Phil. You've teased in the past. Good to see you're keeping up.

As noted, it's the forum that occupies the cherished position. You could claim that you're the #1 poster in Cairo called Phil. :D

gustavmahler Aug 22, 2017 4:27 am

Originally Posted by Worcester (Post 28720280)
That said it's a very friendly place.

Totally agree. I haven't posted much on any others, but the tone can be quite different. I feel like a real effort is made to welcome new posters and help those of us with less experience of the intricacies of BA travel.

Pascoe Aug 22, 2017 4:32 am

Does BA have a disproportionate amount of frequent flyers of various types? As while this is undoubtedly a fantastic resource for the occasional traveller (arguably that's who would get the greater single trip benefit from this forum), really as far as I can tell the bulk of posts are contributed (as is usually the case on these types of forum) by a core of users, most of whom are frequent and passionate air travellers.

Phil the Flyer Aug 22, 2017 4:40 am

Originally Posted by Roger (Post 28720299)

You could claim that you're the #1 poster in Cairo called Phil. :D

Roger - sadly not for much longer. I'm departing Cairo for good at the end of next month.

corporate-wage-slave Aug 22, 2017 4:42 am

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer (Post 28720333)
Roger - sadly not for much longer. I'm departing Cairo for good at the end of next month.

Oh, that's news. I don't know whether say congrats or offer apologies, hopefully the next stage of your life will bring challenges and rewards. And I trust it's not connected with the fact that your beloved QR no longer flies to CAI!

chris1979 Aug 22, 2017 4:49 am

the figures tell you that HIDDY and Uncle T have a lot time on their hands.

love you both! :)

Phil the Flyer Aug 22, 2017 4:55 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 28720340)

Oh, that's news. I don't know whether say congrats or offer apologies, hopefully the next stage of your life will bring challenges and rewards. And I trust it's not connected with the fact that your beloved QR no longer flies to CAI!

c-w-s - thank you for your kind words. I assure you my leaving has absolutely nothing to do with QR/CAI. :D

EGP halved in value against major currencies nine months ago, inflation north of 30%, terror attacks continue, presidential election due in six months - it's discouraging foreign investment, and hence major new construction projects (I'm a civil engineer). I hope to re-surface job-wise elsewhere in the Middle East - too young to retire yet. :)

corporate-wage-slave Aug 22, 2017 5:09 am

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer (Post 28720357)
too young to retire yet. :)

Quite right too. Personally I'm very grateful that the law now protects people who aren't quite ready to shuffle off to God's CCR just yet.

Prospero Aug 22, 2017 5:11 am

1 Attachment(s)
Well done PtF ! Your thread is currently ranked #1 in the trending thread list :)