FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Denied food in CE when everyone else got served (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1862319-denied-food-ce-when-everyone-else-got-served.html)

Kaveh96 Aug 21, 2017 12:10 pm

Denied food in CE when everyone else got served

Weirdest thing happened to me on a domestic club Europe flight last monday.

Sitting in 1C the guy tells me that he has no food for me and he 'may' come back later with something if it's still available.

He then proceeds to feed the rest of the cabin. This wouldn't bother me so much normally but I was utterly starving (wasn't even offered bread)

I was not an op up, I was not on a redemption ticket and I was connecting onto a club world flight and I bought my ticket over 48 hours ago, so it's not as though it was last minute and they couldn't add the food for catering.

This is the second time something like this has happened to me, starting to think maybe its cause I smell.

nufnuf77 Aug 21, 2017 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Kaveh96 (Post 28717527)
Weirdest thing happened to me on a domestic club Europe flight last monday.

Sitting in 1C the guy tells me that he has no food for me and he 'may' come back later with something if it's still available.

He then proceeds to feed the rest of the cabin. This wouldn't bother me so much normally but I was utterly starving (wasn't even offered bread)

I was not an op up, I was not on a redemption ticket and I was connecting onto a club world flight and I bought my ticket over 48 hours ago, so it's not as though it was last minute and they couldn't add the food for catering.

This is the second time something like this has happened to me, starting to think maybe its cause I smell.

Did you clarify with him why? There is no reason he would do that unless his ipad told him you were opup and he didnt have enough food. Very strange.

Kaveh96 Aug 21, 2017 12:18 pm

He just told me he had no food for me and asked me if I had just made the booking/upgraded...

nufnuf77 Aug 21, 2017 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Kaveh96 (Post 28717566)
He just told me he had no food for me and asked me if I had just made the booking/upgraded...

You should have told him that was not acceptable as you had purchased a proper fare and were not an opup. Sometimes people need to be more assertive :)

smokie36 Aug 21, 2017 12:23 pm

And then there were two.

I hope they choose me as their third victim on Friday evening.

Ldnn1 Aug 21, 2017 12:23 pm

It's so utterly pathetic this. If it were a one-off it could be let go, but we are now getting regular reports of this happening in CE. It's completely unacceptable and plain embarrassing.

Flexible preferences Aug 21, 2017 12:32 pm

Seems very harsh. How odd. We are left wirh a very unsatisfactory mystery...

orbitmic Aug 21, 2017 12:33 pm

I agree with others. By definition, two is no longer a 'one off'. This is really bad.

corporate-wage-slave Aug 21, 2017 12:33 pm

My suspicion here is that they were one down on catering, and decided to look at the PNR dates to decide who was the last to book, which turned out to be you. What may, or may not, have happened is checking CE passengers for their dates of booking amendments, including those who nabbed a last minute POUG or AUP. I'm guessing this was a night stopped morning flight from GLA, which would be more prone to this. If you were booked 48 hours beforehand then there would be plenty of scope to adjust the catering, even on night stops. So I suspect there is more to this story.

I hope you persuaded the SCCM to enter the details of your complaint on the iPad, otherwise you should complain - I think this is in the 4000 Avios area if you were not warned before departure.

1Aturnleft Aug 21, 2017 12:35 pm

Doesn't escape the fact that if there's no tray for you according to whatever reason shows on the SCCM's iPad, there's no tray for you. Best taken up with customer services on your arrival as I'm sure the crew member in question wouldn't want to leave you out unless they were specifically advised to do so. That said there's always nuts, bread and potentially a tray later on if someone else declines to eat so not sure why something wasn't provided in some form. I've offered my tray up in the past when another passenger has thrown a few misdirected toys at the crew and received a very nice service of multiple drinks and nuts - I wouldn't have eaten the prawn on seaweed anyway ☺

Worcester Aug 21, 2017 12:37 pm

Didn't they even offer to fetch you something from the BoB trolley for you to buy.

smokie36 Aug 21, 2017 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft (Post 28717643)
Doesn't escape the fact that if there's no tray for you according to whatever reason shows on the SCCM's iPad, there's no tray for you. Best taken up with customer services on your arrival as I'm sure the crew member in question wouldn't want to leave you out unless they were specifically advised to do so. That said there's always nuts, bread and potentially a tray later on if someone else declines to eat so not sure why something wasn't provided in some form. I've offered my tray up in the past when another passenger has thrown a few misdirected toys at the crew and received a very nice service of multiple drinks and nuts - I wouldn't have eaten the prawn on seaweed anyway ☺

Where would the nuts come from on CE nowadays?

mikeyfly Aug 21, 2017 12:43 pm

I can't believe there is not an option to give some BOB gratis and tap into the iPad the reason why. It would be fully accountable and the worker and anyone else involved could verify.

How very sad

Phil the Flyer Aug 21, 2017 12:47 pm

Based on the above am I correct in assuming the BA doesn't carry any spare meals whatsoever in CW/CE?! If that is the case things are worse than I thought - and yet another reason to give BA a wide berth if sensible alternatives are available.

CrazyJ82 Aug 21, 2017 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 28717629)
My suspicion here is that they were one down on catering, and decided to look at the PNR dates to decide who was the last to book, which turned out to be you. What may, or may not, have happened is checking CE passengers for their dates of booking amendments, including those who nabbed a last minute POUG or AUP. I'm guessing this was a night stopped morning flight from GLA, which would be more prone to this. If you were booked 48 hours beforehand then there would be plenty of scope to adjust the catering, even on night stops. So I suspect there is more to this story.

I hope you persuaded the SCCM to enter the details of your complaint on the iPad, otherwise you should complain - I think this is in the 4000 Avios area if you were not warned before departure.

That bit about looking at PNR dates sounds entirely plausible, and absolutely insane. It's a terrible way to judge the relative value of customers for these purposes because the late-to-book category intermingles people on cheap AUP/POUG and people on the most expensive close-in J (and F) fares.

How many meals do they need to save, exactly, to make up for the revenue they can lose from a single full-fare J pax on a long-haul connection who decides to book even a single J ticket away from BA after being stung by this? Cruz might argue it doesn't matter since the planes are full anyway, but this kind of shenanigans can dent their pricing power very quickly as the people prepared to pay a lot for tickets bail.