Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Denied food in CE when everyone else got served

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied food in CE when everyone else got served

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by smokie36
Where would the nuts come from on CE nowadays?
Seem to be available on request when asked
smokie36 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:08 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Seem to be available on request when asked
Nuts and biscuits are loaded on top of catering. Half the bread gets thrown away so I don't know why that wasn't offered.
smokie36 and crazy8534 like this.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Can't the crew award Avios on the spot for certain issues and mark the case as resolved in their ipad? So why not at least offer to fetch something from the BoB, get customer to pay with their Avios then award 'service recovery' to the same amount?

NOT that BoB is a substitute for CE catering before BA get any ideas.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
Based on the above am I correct in assuming the BA doesn't carry any spare meals whatsoever in CW/CE?! If that is the case things are worse than I thought - and yet another reason to give BA a wide berth if sensible alternatives are available.
On CW night flights, I believe they actually under-cater. To be fair CIHY (who I believe) says he's never completely run out.

Night stopping CE services are return catered I believe, no idea how or where the food is stored overnight...
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:17 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Half the bread gets thrown away so I don't know why that wasn't offered.
Especially when it is in a basket normally with a selection of them. Having just done 6 CE sectors in the last week this is the norm I believe.

OP, was the basket offered to 1 A then he completely ignored you and never offered it at all?

The CSM/SCCM should definitely have the discretion to offer something free from BoB in cases of missed catering but I don't know the exact BA policy on this. Poor overall.

deleted
OldFruity likes this.

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN

Considering some of the ropey / stale afternoon tea offerings some would be glad to take a Posh Club and KitKat (or Percy Pigs)
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL CCR, HHonors DIA
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
My suspicion here is that they were one down on catering, and decided to look at the PNR dates to decide who was the last to book, which turned out to be you. What may, or may not, have happened is checking CE passengers for their dates of booking amendments, including those who nabbed a last minute POUG or AUP. I'm guessing this was a night stopped morning flight from GLA, which would be more prone to this. If you were booked 48 hours beforehand then there would be plenty of scope to adjust the catering, even on night stops. So I suspect there is more to this story.
I was on the 1835 GLA-LHR, so ample time for them to put something on the tray. Though it did seem like a 'computer said you're not getting any food'.

The only other time this happened to me was when I slept through catering on a CW ticket and woke up hungry and there was nothing left.

However last monday, I didnt want to make a fuss, especially since it was infront of the whole cabin. Feared it would become a DYKWIA incident.

I'll make a complaint to BA, though an offer of 4000 avios feels a little lukewarm tbh
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The crew have no discretion and cannot offer anything from the BoB menu.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Perhaps the flight up had an incident (dropped tray?) and so the return started off one meal short.

Either way, immediate and reasonable recovery was an option and wasn't offered
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:26 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Can I help you
The crew have no discretion and cannot offer anything from the BoB menu.
Oh dear. Thanks for that Can I help you ^

I find it amazing that on a flight with more than 100 plus passengers for whom a CSM/CSD has (huge) responsibility for BA won't give you the power of discretion re BoB which would be a very easy 'fix' to resolve matters like the OP's!!!!!!!

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Assuming there was anything left on BOB, the OP could have just bought something there and billed BA for it. I would hope BA would offer a refund!

Failing that, if I was the OP, I would fight for a chargeback on my payment card. What is the value you think of no catering on CE, 30% of the ticket price?

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
Can't the crew award Avios on the spot for certain issues and mark the case as resolved in their ipad? So why not at least offer to fetch something from the BoB, get customer to pay with their Avios then award 'service recovery' to the same amount?

Discretionary avios to the value of a BoB sandwich and KitKat would seem far too sensible
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL CCR, HHonors DIA
Originally Posted by PETER01

OP, was the basket offered to 1 A then he completely ignored you and never offered it at all?
Yeah, the guy offered food to 1A, then turned to me and said, 'I'm sorry, we dont have anything for you, did you just buy your ticket'? I said no, he then said 'I might come back if I have any food left over' and offered me a drink.

Feel like a chump for not arguing the point, but at this point everyone was listening to my does-not-deserve-catering-ticket scenario so I let it go and vexed internally.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:27 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Kaveh96
I was on the 1835 GLA-LHR, so ample time for them to put something on the tray. Though it did seem like a 'computer said you're not getting any food'.
It would therefore have left LHR around 16:00 hrs, and therefore loaded around 15:30 hrs. Right, well somewhere down the line there was a screw up then since at 15:30 your booking was well and truly in the system and it would have been no extra work to ensure your not-that-late booking was fully catered.

In addition to my last booked versus last changed theory, they could have damaged one tray (food sliding off the back during loading); or had a late OpUp on the inbound, incorrectly catered for them and then left short. Then to compound your bad luck, everyone must have gone for a meal, there's is usually someone more interesting in sleeping / liquids-only diet, particularly on that route and timing.

Put a complaint in, 4k Avios may work better for you anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.