Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Denied food in CE when everyone else got served

Denied food in CE when everyone else got served

Old Aug 21, 17, 1:27 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL/CCR, QR Insider, SQ Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas View Post
Assuming there was anything left on BOB, the OP could have just bought something there and billed BA for it. I would hope BA would offer a refund!

Failing that, if I was the OP, I would fight for a chargeback on my payment card. What is the value you think of no catering on CE, 30% of the ticket price?
More like 5-7.5%!

M
Old Aug 21, 17, 1:28 pm

Programs: BA Exec
Originally Posted by Kaveh96 View Post
Weirdest thing happened to me on a domestic club Europe flight last monday.

Sitting in 1C the guy tells me that he has no food for me and he 'may' come back later with something if it's still available.

He then proceeds to feed the rest of the cabin. This wouldn't bother me so much normally but I was utterly starving (wasn't even offered bread)

I was not an op up, I was not on a redemption ticket and I was connecting onto a club world flight and I bought my ticket over 48 hours ago, so it's not as though it was last minute and they couldn't add the food for catering.

This is the second time something like this has happened to me, starting to think maybe its cause I smell.

That sounds poor.

Unfortunately crew cannot give away BoB for free under any circumstances, which is a shame.

Still, as others have already suggested, you should have at least been offered some bread, nuts or even a spare unwanted meal. It's actually unusual for every single customer to want their meal. There's usually one or more customers that are not interested in eating .
Old Aug 21, 17, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
My suspicion here is that they were one down on catering, and decided to look at the PNR dates to decide who was the last to book, which turned out to be you. What may, or may not, have happened is checking CE passengers for their dates of booking amendments, including those who nabbed a last minute POUG or AUP. I'm guessing this was a night stopped morning flight from GLA, which would be more prone to this. If you were booked 48 hours beforehand then there would be plenty of scope to adjust the catering, even on night stops. So I suspect there is more to this story.

I hope you persuaded the SCCM to enter the details of your complaint on the iPad, otherwise you should complain - I think this is in the 4000 Avios area if you were not warned before departure.
Assuming that there are no opup's and non-rev and all passengers are paying and none booked/changed on the day, wouldn't status take precedence over date of booking for the selection of the poor victim of a denied catering that should never have taken place in the first instance? OP is gold, on a paid ticket, and not last minute booked, I genuinely cannot understand what extraordinary person in BA would design a system that should lead him/her to be selected for denied catering.
Old Aug 21, 17, 1:31 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Well we have seen two incidents very similar and on both occasions the passenger has not immediately complained and pointed out the error.

I'm looking forward to what happens when it IS pointed out and quickly to see whether a tray is whipped off another passengers lap and into the hands of the full fare pax.

Only on BA eh?
Old Aug 21, 17, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by smokie36 View Post
Well we have seen two incidents very similar and on both occasions the passenger has not immediately complained and pointed out the error.

I'm looking forward to what happens when it IS pointed out and quickly to see whether a tray is whipped off another passengers lap and into the hands of the full fare pax.

Only on BA eh?
No I don't think the CC would be able to do anything about it even if you complained on the spot. The most that would happen is a 'sorry sir, have some bread/nuts, some more champagne?' with a 'let me log this into my ipad'.

Either way, the person flying wouldn't land on a full stomach. If this happened on a Band 4 CE, I would be absolutely furious!

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
... What is the value you think of no catering on CE, 30% of the ticket price?
What happened to OP is indefensible but to be honest I wouldn't pay more then £10-£15 for the last Club Europe meal I had.
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
Assuming that there are no opup's and non-rev and all passengers are paying and none booked/changed on the day, wouldn't status take precedence over date of booking for the selection of the poor victim of a denied catering that should never have taken place in the first instance?
Absolutely not. I've occasionally had to accept no food on a short haul sector, due to very late bookings (same day), even though everyone else in CE had zero status. And that's fair, I don't have a problem with that, I've usually got 2 sectors and a lounge in between so there's not much risk of me fading away. Doesn't happen very often, I should stress. It's more of a problem when CE doesn't have many passengers, since at a certain point someone is bound to decline the food. One is more likely to have an additional option due to a tray being left from the London departing service.
Old Aug 21, 17, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by gcuk View Post
What happened to OP is indefensible but to be honest I wouldn't pay more then £10-£15 for the last Club Europe meal I had.
what are the factors that make CE better than ET?

1. lounge access
2. middle seat free
3. luggage
4. catering

So 1/4 missing, making it 25% of the price difference between ET and CE. If you are really on the mark, lets make it 12.5% since at least he got some drinks!
Old Aug 21, 17, 1:40 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Bread and water, the new CE catering.
Geordie405, Dover2Golf and KMPete like this.
Old Aug 21, 17, 1:40 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by PETER01 View Post
OP, was the basket offered to 1 A then he completely ignored you and never offered it at all?
Originally Posted by Kaveh96 View Post
Yeah, the guy offered food to 1A, then turned to me and said, 'I'm sorry, we dont have anything for you, did you just buy your ticket'? I said no, he then said 'I might come back if I have any food left over' and offered me a drink.

Feel like a chump for not arguing the point, but at this point everyone was listening to my does-not-deserve-catering-ticket scenario so I let it go and vexed internally.
Don't feel like a chump, none of it was your fault at all.

Personally I would have quietly went to the galley once the meals had been served and asked to speak to the CSM/SCCM. However, I appreciate not everyone is comfortable with doing this.

If as CWS says you get 4k I would just accept this and it's not worth fretting over a meal on a one hour flight but equally I would have been very disappointed.

Put in a complaint on ba.com, be brief and to the point leaving any emotions out of it and stick to the facts. I don't buy the theory that one slipped off the tray excuse.
Old Aug 21, 17, 1:41 pm

Programs: BA Silver
No I don't think the CC would be able to do anything about it even if you complained on the spot. The most that would happen is a 'sorry sir, have some bread/nuts, some more champagne?' with a 'let me log this into my ipad'.

Either way, the person flying wouldn't land on a full stomach. If this happened on a Band 4 CE, I would be absolutely furious!
I question whether they actually had food but were denying it due to a perceived upgrade.

Only a strong complaint would reveal the truth on this issue.
Cymro likes this.
Old Aug 21, 17, 1:44 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
You let him off lightly. I'm afraid that had that been me, there would have been very strong words I'm afraid.
"No - why me? How can you tell that it was me? I booked and paid for my ticket 48 hours or more ago!! I suggest that you go and tell who ever you serve last that you have run out"

This is totally unacceptable, that I was extremely hungry and I was not going to be quiet about this - and I'm afraid that I would have asked why he was discriminating against me.

They didn't even offer you bread??? Twitter BA tonight - they seem to respond quite well. Simply not good enough.
Old Aug 21, 17, 1:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's too bad that the OP didn't press the matter at the time or at least ask for an explanation of why he/she was selected for no catering. I wonder whether this was a mistake of some sort. It does seem sad and fundamentally misguided to deny a meal to a frequent flyer purchasing a business class fare that wasn't cheap. The prospect for future lost business would far exceed the cost of an extra meal.
Old Aug 21, 17, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Absolutely not. I've occasionally had to accept no food on a short haul sector, due to very late bookings (same day),
But that's why I specified 'not booked/changed on the day'! We all know that if you book on the day this can affect meal loadings, but that was not the case of the OP who said he booked more than 48 hours before. The last minute change/booking is different, here we are dealing with someone who was not booked last minute, was gold, and was yet denied a meal.
Old Aug 21, 17, 1:48 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
what are the factors that make CE better than ET?

1. lounge access
2. middle seat free
3. luggage
4. catering

So 1/4 missing, making it 25% of the price difference between ET and CE. If you are really on the mark, lets make it 12.5% since at least he got some drinks!
Also, Fast Track and Priority Boarding if you don't have status but I know the OP has in this case. I don't agree that you can just can't pick 4 elements and say they have an equal value of 25%. For a miscatered flight are you suggesting on say a £400 ticket then £100 should be given back or even £50 (for 12.5%) for a missed meal?

If it were up to me I would have given the OP 10k, lots of rolls and Champers and a space available service recovery upgrade to F on his long haul sector

Search this Thread