Condition of toilets

Old Aug 21, 17, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Condition of toilets

A couple of days ago I flew on an Olympic liveried A319 from Verona to Gatwick.

The toilet was disgustingly filthy. The bowl of the toilet was a blue colour heavily encrusted with something much darker. The bottom of the seat was completely stained by urine and appropriately coloured. This is not normal wear and tear but the result of complete lack of cleaning over a long period of time. Public toilets can be very dirty but this is a private toilet for mainly J passengers and it really should be kept clean.

Its design was also wrong; the sloping ceiling prevent a man from standing appropriately when urinating and it is very difficult to get it where it should go rather than splashing it on the toilet and floor. Even in F the toilet cubicles are minute making it impossible to wash your hands or face without getting water everywhere. Cleaning your teeth (assuming they aren't detachable) results in water, saliva and toothpaste getting all round the basin and on the floor.

Why do we put up with this? A toilet like the A319 one would be totally unacceptable at work and closed until it could be replaced or cleaned to restore it to a pristine condition.
Old Aug 21, 17, 12:44 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
The condition of the toilet as described is unacceptable. Please complain via customer services. I wouldn't expect a meaningful response but it will be logged.

A toilet on a commercial A319 is unlikely ever to be spacious. Can't comment on F
Old Aug 21, 17, 1:12 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Dread to think what the A320s will be like when they go down to one toilet at the back, 5 minute wait with two operating last week.
Old Aug 21, 17, 1:45 pm

Programs: BA Silver
How on earth can you miss while urinating? It's a pretty big thing to aim for. I never understood how some men could miss (and how some miss!)

Ditto on the teeth... you must be attacking your mouth with gusto if you manage to get toothpaste and saliva all over the basin and floor. I mean really?

The rest of your toilet comments are valid. I wrote a blog post titled "Whatever you do, don't lift up the toilet seat!" about a week ago I guess, which was about a BA 319 toilet seat underside which was pretty much as you described. It wasn't a dove either, so I'd say it's common. Using a white seat doesn't help.
Old Aug 21, 17, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
I so want a private jet...
Old Aug 21, 17, 2:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by Worcester View Post
I so want a private jet...
I believe you would find QR's A380 F toilets perfectly adequate. Best pee I've ever had at 35,000ft.
Old Aug 21, 17, 2:11 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH FTL (Silver), BA Blue
Originally Posted by Worcester View Post
Dread to think what the A320s will be like when they go down to one toilet at the back, 5 minute wait with two operating last week.
I flew an A320 NEO, which BA will be getting soon. It's really annoying having only 1 toilet at the back, and not only that, the only toilet is even smaller than the A320 normal one! I actually hit my head leaving the toilet as the door is slanted!
Old Aug 21, 17, 2:19 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, QR Insider, SQ Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer View Post
I believe you would find QR's A380 F toilets perfectly adequate. Best pee I've ever had at 35,000ft.
Aside from having the heaviest toilet seat in aircraft history (naturally, it's leather), the QR F bathrooms are quite lovely!

That being said, EK F are also great (more for the shower novelty), and even BA in CW on the A380 are pretty good.

However, the common link is simply the dead space on the A380.

QF are the only airline I can think of, who are not put bathrooms into the space on the Upper Deck - they have their CSD 'office', and a seating area.

M
Old Nov 18, 19, 11:14 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA and CX. (Disgruntled UA Lifetime Plat) - No hotel loyalty anymore
Was utterly disgusted by an A320 front toilet on a STR-LHR segment this last week. I won't complain about US carriers as they have never been this disgusting on the seat and surrounding worn plastic and do generally refurb basic materials when really bad. Why is engineering at BA not replacing highly worn items like seats and toilet fittings. Why is the toilet not cleaned properly - never seen this level of dirtiness on any OE carriers nor even on 3rd world carriers.
Old Nov 18, 19, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Seeing the comment above re: QR.....

I'm on my first BA A380 today (217 LHR IAD), which is also my 100th sector of the year, so I Avios-upgraded to F. Very disappointed to see that the cubicles at the front are no bigger than you find on your typical EDI > LHR A320 on a Monday morning

Which made me dig out my photo of the QR A380 I took last year when I got upgraded to F when coming back from MEL to DOH. Chalk and cheese! It even has a sofa.....

By comparison, this is a photo from 30 seconds ago of the loo in the F cabin in front of 1A on G-XLED:

Last edited by HighwayToHEL; Nov 18, 19 at 12:16 pm
Old Nov 18, 19, 1:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL View Post

I'm on my first BA A380 today (217 LHR IAD), which is also my 100th sector of the year, so I Avios-upgraded to F. Very disappointed to see that the cubicles at the front are no bigger than you find on your typical EDI > LHR A320 on a Monday morning

Which made me dig out my photo of the QR A380 I took last year when I got upgraded to F when coming back from MEL to DOH. Chalk and cheese! It even has a sofa.....

By comparison, this is a photo from 30 seconds ago of the loo in the F cabin in front of 1A on G-XLED:
The large bathrooms are on the upper deck, so for BA, you have to fly CW on the upper deck to use them. To quote my wife from her recent trip "The loo is HUGE"

When I am flying on the A380 in First, I will approach the purser when boarding to ensure I can use the stairs to go upstairs as I am too big to use the regular toilets (yes, yes, I should lose weight).
Old Nov 18, 19, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by Gshumway View Post
The large bathrooms are on the upper deck, so for BA, you have to fly CW on the upper deck to use them. To quote my wife from her recent trip "The loo is HUGE"

When I am flying on the A380 in First, I will approach the purser when boarding to ensure I can use the stairs to go upstairs as I am too big to use the regular toilets (yes, yes, I should lose weight).
Yep, A380 toilets are great in CW, about the only place I've ever managed to go from sleep wear to suit in relative comfort on any aircraft.

I generally try to avoid using the toilet on SH hops, it always amazes me how many seem unable to not toilet for the 1hr door to door of MAN/LHR....
Old Nov 18, 19, 1:45 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Virgin Gold
Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL View Post

Thats BA summed up in 1 picture.

F lavatory. Farcical
Old Nov 18, 19, 2:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by tuonopepper View Post
Yep, A380 toilets are great in CW, about the only place I've ever managed to go from sleep wear to suit in relative comfort on any aircraft.

I generally try to avoid using the toilet on SH hops, it always amazes me how many seem unable to not toilet for the 1hr door to door of MAN/LHR....
If you were looking for a comfortable way to join the mile-high club, I suspect these toilets would be the place. It's even hidden behind a curtain from the cabin so nobody would even know who's gone in.
Old Nov 18, 19, 2:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by FlightDetective View Post
How on earth can you miss while urinating? It's a pretty big thing to aim for. I never understood how some men could miss (and how some miss!)

Ditto on the teeth... you must be attacking your mouth with gusto if you manage to get toothpaste and saliva all over the basin and floor. I mean really?

The rest of your toilet comments are valid. I wrote a blog post titled "Whatever you do, don't lift up the toilet seat!" about a week ago I guess, which was about a BA 319 toilet seat underside which was pretty much as you described. It wasn't a dove either, so I'd say it's common. Using a white seat doesn't help.
I take it you're female?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: