Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Anyone else have issues at the T5 passport E-Gates?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone else have issues at the T5 passport E-Gates?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2017, 4:23 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Since I got a new passport in May I have a 100% rate. The old one, getting nearly 10 years old had about a 50/50 hit rate. Curiously, it always worked better outside the UK than entering the UK. The new one though works much better.

Have the chips been changed or improved? It used to feel like the passport sometimes didn't register and the chip was perhaps not responding.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
My issue must be the name linking one as that sounds more plausible, It never even gets to the facial check it just says seek assistance as soon as it is put in.

I know the chip works as it reads fine in other airports and I used the app mentioned above and I can read the passport fine on my phone too.

It wouldn't bother me so much but the staff seem to insist you try it twice before being able to go up to the BF agent
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:15 am

deleted

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 7:14 am
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:15 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by cgtechuk
My issue must be the name linking one as that sounds more plausible, It never even gets to the facial check it just says seek assistance as soon as it is put in.
I've had this issue once.

When I departed Germany, for some reason the police had problems scanning my passport on their own machines, but they didn't tell me what was wrong and after about 2 minutes they managed to get it to work.

When I got to LHR T5, it immediately went to Seek assistance as soon as it touched the e-gate reader.

The human UKBF agent said he couldn't see anything wrong.

The next time I went to Germany (6 months later), it again took 2 minutes to get in but the policewoman did not say anything to me, she just kept trying to scan it and typing things until somehow it worked.

Meanwhile, I've been going in and out of the Schengen area in multiple countries with no problems at all, both using e-gates and directly to a person who scanned it (as opposed to just glancing, which is not supposed to happen any more, but did happen yesterday at Bruxelles-Midi when the guy got frustrated with his machine being slow).

Also had no problems at any UK airport for over a year, it always works and is usually quite quick as long as the operator is paying attention... but a year ago it was 50-50 for some reason, don't know what changed but not complaining.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:52 am

Mine has never worked at LHR T5 despite working everywhere else in the world.

I've been given two explanations. (1) That I have a common name and they're looking for someone with a similar name (but not me!). Have had that one twice. (2) There is a very slight crease across the bottom corner of the page that is scanned and the machine doesn't like it.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:26 am

deleted

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 7:14 am
Old Aug 21, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Glasses can confuse the picture if there is a reflection in them; tilting your head up or down a little can help. If the e-gate shows you the camera image, then look for a reflection and quickly tilt your head up or down a little until it moves (then hold still) and hope that works.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by flatlander
Glasses can confuse the picture if there is a reflection in them; tilting your head up or down a little can help. If the e-gate shows you the camera image, then look for a reflection and quickly tilt your head up or down a little until it moves (then hold still) and hope that works.
I don't think a bit of glare on your glasses is going to throw off balance the border control officer who compares the pics remotely. Either there is a problem reading the passport, or a flag is raised on the name, or your look has changed a bit since your pic, or finally the border officer gets distracted and switches off the automatic acceptance lever. In all these cases you end up at the manual check desk.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Old passport was fine, new one fails over 1/2 the time.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 10:08 am

Programs: BA Silver
Does anyone have an issue with the E-gates and have an up to date solution on what to do? All the answers I've been looking at seem at least a few years old.

First holiday in months that I came back from yesterday and same problem I have probably experienced for the best part of 2 years. Every single time I slide my passport into the E-gates, my face shows up on the camera screen for about a minute (a long minute...) and then always says seek assistance without fail. It's almost worth me not bothering using the gates anymore. Any idea why?
Old Jul 27, 2020, 10:18 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Brisbane Road
Any idea why?
The usual reason is the chip isn't working well, however the Border Force officer will usually mention something, or will give more information if asked. You may just need to wait until your next passport to resolve this unfortunately.

The three main reasons for e-gate failure for UK citizens are (1) not holding the photo page flat with slight downward pressure on the glass (so the data can't be fully read) (2) using the wrong page or the wrong way direction and (3) the chip is kaput. The image screen issue doesn't help much, it means it is holding your image ready for the data to come off the server and it ends up not arriving. The e-gate machines are more picky that the BF's own devices, hence if it generally works elsewhere in Europe it suggests the chip isn't working. Unfortunately the Passpoirt Agency won't normally replace duff chips after a few months from original issue.
adrianlondon and T8191 like this.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 10:18 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
First holiday in months that I came back from yesterday and same problem I have probably experienced for the best part of 2 years. Every single time I slide my passport into the E-gates, my face shows up on the camera screen for about a minute (a long minute...) and then always says seek assistance without fail. It's almost worth me not bothering using the gates anymore. Any idea why?
You are a dodgy character?
Old Jul 27, 2020, 12:14 pm

Does anyone have an issue with the E-gates and have an up to date solution on what to do? All the answers I've been looking at seem at least a few years old.

Yes. I place my passport on it, look at the screen and nothing happens except "seek assistance" or some message like that.

I try it again. and again: each time re positioning the passport on the reader. Until I think the machine gets frustrated and lets me through.

I refuse to accept the whims of a privileged bureaucratic class who can't be bothered to fix a few glitches on their new toys!
Old Jul 27, 2020, 1:31 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by cgtechuk
Firstly mods please don't move this it's BA related because I only experience this at T5.

So everyone without fail. I approach the E-Gates in T5 when I come off an international flight and without fail I put the passport in and it shows the spinning disc for 2p seconds or so and just goes straight to "Seek Assistance" this only happens at the T5 gates and I end up having to go to the border force agent.

Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me? Is there something wrong with my passport? Works fine at every other airport with automated terminals although t5 is the only one in the UK. It's a UK passport.

Should I contact border force or is the machine just not like me?

On a side note did my first priority boarding via electronic gate on LHR to GLA and worked no problem and was pretty efficient.
The e-gates have never worked for me. “Seek assistance” every time.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 1:49 pm

Slightly off topic and can only go by what I was told by the UKBF agent yesterday:
One of the reasons why you may not be asked whether you filled in the Public Health Passenger Locator form before entering the e Gates is that apparently this is linked to your chip in the passport. So if you haven’t filled it in and try the e Gates to bypass this you will be “rejected” and sent to see an officer.
Also, faulty or dodgy Chips are another issue as c-w-s mentions above or the odd Passenger who doesn’t know how to use e Gates and subsequently gets rejected.
Not that I would think any FTer would fall into any of Catergories I mention here of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.