Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Anyone else have issues at the T5 passport E-Gates?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone else have issues at the T5 passport E-Gates?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Certainly had many more problems at T5 than LGW for a similar number of arrivals at each. Agent at the desk has said the passport is fine.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 5:19 pm

Programs: BA LtG, Flying Blue Plat
My old one failed all the time, then one day a border agent told me the chip was broken. Applied for a new passport, then it was investigated and found to be ok, so no refund for me. Many cut and paste responses later (obviously not happy), still no resolution. The new one doesn't always work either... I have reached the conclusion that I'm just so pale I'm the same colour as the page and the machine can't recognise any features!
Old Aug 20, 2017, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by PJSMITH0
Same here seems there are quite a few Smith's on the wanted list

Incidentally my brothers, wife's, parents passports all work fine and we all have the same surname although very common like you suggest

Looks like I'm not the only one with issues. On regards to technique I push the passport all yhe way in and hold it down evenly with my palm. Is that wrong lol?
Old Aug 20, 2017, 6:21 pm

Programs: BA GGL
100% fail rate for me too! I've been told that it's because of a faulty passport and also that it's because they're lookin for somebody with a similar name Either way, it's very annoying!
Old Aug 20, 2017, 6:37 pm

The T5 ones work for me more often than not - that said, I get a few rejects.

Never a positive result at the T3 ones though. Don't know why that is.

Are the machines 100% automatic or is there a bit of human input? Is it a human who matches the pictures?
Old Aug 20, 2017, 6:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by MarkFlies
The T5 ones work for me more often than not - that said, I get a few rejects.

Never a positive result at the T3 ones though. Don't know why that is.

Are the machines 100% automatic or is there a bit of human input? Is it a human who matches the pictures?
I get the impression it's 100% human looking at a screen behind smoked glass
Old Aug 20, 2017, 7:59 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
My passport reads perfectly everywhere in the world (that I've tried !) with the exception of LGW and LHR

Last week it was very quiet so I was able to chat to the BF guy for a couple of minutes. He agreed with me that the machines are shoddy, but cheerfully made the point that re jobs it was probably no bad thing they still need lots of human intervention

EDIT: He also said that my chip was working fine, the passport itself was undamaged and the picture was clearly me... so no clue why it doesn't work

Last edited by Fitch; Aug 21, 2017 at 11:41 pm Reason: Additional info
Old Aug 20, 2017, 11:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
Had exactly the same problem and one of the officers suggested I hold the passport down onto the glass as firmly as possible. That fixed it. Is your passport creased at all? Apart from not having enough pages (even the extended length versions), the British/European passport has never been as robust as its counterparts elsewhere IME.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 12:19 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
At first I thought it was just me being a numpty at the T5 e-gates but it turned out it was understaffing behind the glass. It has worked great for me over the last year and always works in places like Finland and Germany
Mine works 100% of the time outside the UK, but 0% in the U.K.

Like the OP, after 3 seconds or so the machine instructs to 'seek assistance'.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 12:20 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by MarkFlies
That's discussed in the thread linked in post #6 . The database checks are automated but there are no biometric checks at T5. The face recognition is done by the border agents at the pedestals to the right of the machines. This explains also why you can keep glasses and even small headsets on.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:22 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Mine never works. Even getting a new passport hasn't fixed it.

Theres some sort of alert on my passport as I apparently have the same name as someone else whos a bit dodgy. A picture of him flashes up when I go to a manned desk and its clearly not me.

But this has to be confirmed everytime, as there is no way of removing the incorrect information apparently.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:40 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Mine works- mostly. In my case I put it down to 'operator error' due to my normal brain fog after flying
I try and run through the way I should insert my passport into the reader before I reach the e gate but sometimes even when I do it all perfectly the gate can throw a wobbly.
I have less luck on the e gates things at JFK (or any US airport that has them) as my fingerprints seem to 'stop working' - even the border agent can have problems taking them !
Old Aug 21, 2017, 2:44 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, BA Gold, Hyatt
Mine works at T5 100% of the time when I am not wearing my glasses. However, with my glasses it always fails but if I try it again after removing them it works. My husband has the same problem with his glasses as well. I don't know if it is something about the frameless glasses but it completely won't accept my passport as long as they are on my face.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 2:56 am

Programs: BA GGL
Mine fails every time at the T5 gates. Works fine in the rare instances I've scanned it abroad. I think the border agents make it up as they go along! I've had the following explanations for the problem:
- there's a problem with a certain print batch being too shiny for the machines
- there's a problem with the gates that should be fixed soon (heard this today)
- the chip on my passport is broken (this one seemed plausible because the agent took five attempts to scan it on her machine)

Can't say it's ever slowed me down materially, but maybe I've been lucky with the wait times at the manual desks.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
I do normally have about 50% success with my passport and the gates. There used to be an app that some folks at the passport office (not an official app from memory) had developed that read your passport. It displayed the results on your phone (after you'd entered your DOB etc.) and you could check your chip that way. It was very handy and I had it on a previous phone but it appears not to be available anymore. This https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...land.chk&hl=en was the link to the app and if anyone knows Duncan Westland and can get the app put back on the play store I'd be very grateful. A review can be found here https://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/0...ssport_reader/

Last edited by Jimmie76; Aug 21, 2017 at 4:27 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.