Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA inhibiting avios upgrades on TA bookings

BA inhibiting avios upgrades on TA bookings

Old May 27, 2019, 2:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by frb98mf
That's a plausible explanation! Given that the entire trip is indeed on BA, does this mean that if UuA space is still available at T-24, they might then be able to do it?
Only if it's 125 and BA flight coding throughout. Logically you are right, but it's just not the way it works.
Old May 27, 2019, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Originally Posted by frb98mf
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
No, it is to do with the fact that using UuA alters the underlying ticket, and puts control under BA, which is unusual since that normally only happens at T-24, before that control lies with the TA. There is a risk of something going wrong or getting missed in the process. If the entire trip is on BA then it is happy to take the responsibility, but if there is other metal involved then the potential liability for mistakes (etc) is a step too far for BA. This also explains why AUP is ok, not least because the risk is in any case lower, but also because at that point the ticket is under airline control anyway.
That's a plausible explanation! Given that the entire trip is indeed on BA, does this mean that if UuA space is still available at T-24, they might then be able to do it?
Only if it's 125 and BA flight coding throughout. Logically you are right, but it's just not the way it works.
I thought that the difference is because UuA requires the ticket to be reissued, which therefore (as you say) alters the underlying ticket, but an AUP doesn't actually touch the ticket but is just an operational on-the-day gateway into a same process that's similar to an op-up, ie just fiddling with the physical seat allocated to the passenger without changing the contractual basis of the travel. I also thought that this was linked to the original difficulty in getting BAEC credit for the upgraded cabin, although that has since been dealt with - it seemed to be similar to not getting credit for the upgraded cabin if you're op-upped for free rather than (in effect) op-upped for payment. (As often noted, most other airlines running similar systems only give you the credit for the ticketed cabin, not the upgraded cabin.)

Contractually, AIUI the key thing is that if there's an IB code on one sector, that is an IB flight. It doesn't matter that IB discharges that contractual obligation by placing you on a BA aircraft: it remains an IB flight. On the face of it, that would seem to be consistent with a continuing reluctance on BA's part to fiddle with a ticket that still has another airline's flight on it.
Old May 31, 2019, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Just to clarify am I able to upgrade a 074 (IB) ticket thats entirely BA metal? Booked through TA.
Old May 31, 2019, 10:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by onlysuites
Just to clarify am I able to upgrade a 074 (IB) ticket thats entirely BA metal? Booked through TA.
No, I believe all flights in the booking have to be BA-coded and 125-ticketed, and then the sector(s) you are upgrading have to be BA metal.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 4:05 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by onlysuites
see post 22, that should help explain what will and won’t work.
onlysuites likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by KARFA

see post 22, that should help explain what will and won’t work.

• Tickets issued on non-BA stock [img]images/smilies/thumbsdown.gif[/img]
Old Jun 1, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
Apologies - I know this wasn't intended to turn into a "Upgrading Travel Agent Bookings with Avios Clinic" thread, but I'm opportunistically posting, since I have a somewhat related question.... on an "I" class ticket booked though Amex business travel, can I call to UuA to F? The outbound flight is on AA metal, but I have a BA flight number/125 ticket but its the inbound (BA metal) I'm looking to upgrade. Doable if I phone in?
Old Jun 1, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Magic01273
Apologies - I know this wasn't intended to turn into a "Upgrading Travel Agent Bookings with Avios Clinic" thread, but I'm opportunistically posting, since I have a somewhat related question.... on an "I" class ticket booked though Amex business travel, can I call to UuA to F? The outbound flight is on AA metal, but I have a BA flight number/125 ticket but its the inbound (BA metal) I'm looking to upgrade. Doable if I phone in?
In my experience, sometimes you will get an agent who says “I can’t do this because there is an AA-operated flight in the booking” and sometimes you will get an agent who says “I can do this because all flights on the booking are on a 125-ticket with a BA flight number and the flight you are upgrading is BA operated”. They may initially say it’s not possible but then do it after consulting with a manager. I’ve managed to get a positive outcome but sometimes had to ring four or five times before finding an amenable agent.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.