Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA inhibiting avios upgrades on TA bookings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA inhibiting avios upgrades on TA bookings

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2018, 5:14 am

Programs: BA GGL/GfL/CCR,Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Starwood Titanium, Delta Gold, United
I'm aware that if the travel agent uses a "hidden fare" - e.g a special negotiated rate - then BA will not allow you to upgrade using points. However, they will (i believe) allow you to upgrade the hidden fare TA ticket using a gold upgrade voucher. I think there's discussion within BA about allowing you to upgrade a TA hidden fare using avios too but they've not changed the policy yet. An example of a hidden fare could be a package (e.g Club tickets to JFK with hotel or car hire) or a reduced WTP ticket to the US. Companies such as Trailfinders, Travelcentre and others would be companies with negotiated specials. These don't have to be "cheap" tickets, i've booked many Ł2K WTP tickets to the US that fall under this "hidden fare". So, they aren't bucket seats.

If the fare is not in the booking for the BA team to see it then (at the moment) they won't allow a points upgrade. This is frustrating for many of us using corporate travel agencies where this is common. I had an example recently of being on quite an expensive WTP ticket booked through the travel agent and there being Club avios seats available but BA not willing to allow me to upgrade using points (because they couldn't see the fare). I hope BA can revisit this policy. Ironically, BA has no problem selling a paid AUP upgrade at the ticket desk and changing the TA ticket so the rules clearly can be changed to suit BA (but also the passenger if they wish).

Last edited by Airways45; Apr 29, 2018 at 5:21 am
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: BA GGL
I've never been able to UuA on a TA booking... I'm always told to refer back to TA.

So if I was to phone up, assuming availability, is it indeed possible to UuA?
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
I've never been able to UuA on a TA booking... I'm always told to refer back to TA.

So if I was to phone up, assuming availability, is it indeed possible to UuA?
yes it has been possible to UuA a TA booking for a few years now. The UuA is done with BAEC direct.

bulk fares are not UuA’able as well as the country issue mentioned above. What reason are BA giving to say no?
Old May 27, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Trying to figure out if I can upgrade with Avios so I can sit with my wife up front at the end of a vacation next weekend to Corsica. I am accompanying here back to LHR and she is already in CE as part of an award back to the US. I'm going back to LHR for a few days of work next week so just had my TA buy a one way FSC-LHR ticket in economy. There is indeed award space for the CE cabin on the flight so I would like to upgrade. Do I have to call in to have this upgraded with Avios?
Old May 27, 2018, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by stephem
Trying to figure out if I can upgrade with Avios so I can sit with my wife up front at the end of a vacation next weekend to Corsica. I am accompanying here back to LHR and she is already in CE as part of an award back to the US. I'm going back to LHR for a few days of work next week so just had my TA buy a one way FSC-LHR ticket in economy. There is indeed award space for the CE cabin on the flight so I would like to upgrade. Do I have to call in to have this upgraded with Avios?
what selling class are you in?

As long as it is not Q/O/G and you on a BA 125-... ticket, and it’s a published fare, then a UuA should be possible. You’ll need to call BAEC to do it.
Old May 21, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
OTA booking, can't UuA

I booked NTE-LHR-JFK-LHR in WT+ (K/T classes) via Expedia for a fraction of what BA.com was quoting for either that or returning to NTE. It's on 125 stock, all operated by BA, but the outbound is on a BA flight number, the return is on an IB one. BA are saying I cannot UuA the outbound leg because of the IB flight number on the return. I am only trying to upgrade the BA ticketed, operated and numbered flight!

Interestingly I was told different things by different agents, having called 3x. The first time the lady did not say any of this and was processing it but didn't understand my request to UuA all the way from Nantes as the YQ difference calc is 35 EUR instead of 100 GBP so I HUACAed and the next 2 agents then explained the above and refused to do it.

Is this in fact correct?
Old May 21, 2019, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by frb98mf
I booked NTE-LHR-JFK-LHR in WT+ (K/T classes) via Expedia for a fraction of what BA.com was quoting for either that or returning to NTE. It's on 125 stock, all operated by BA, but the outbound is on a BA flight number, the return is on an IB one. BA are saying I cannot UuA the outbound leg because of the IB flight number on the return. I am only trying to upgrade the BA ticketed, operated and numbered flight!

Interestingly I was told different things by different agents, having called 3x. The first time the lady did not say any of this and was processing it but didn't understand my request to UuA all the way from Nantes as the YQ difference calc is 35 EUR instead of 100 GBP so I HUACAed and the next 2 agents then explained the above and refused to do it.

Is this in fact correct?
you can't UuA a TA booking if there are non BA sectors on it. see the summary from the TP run guide:

Upgrading Using Avios (UuA) & Gold Upgrade Vouchers (GUF)
A quick note on doing UuAs is that you can do these for exEU itineraries (or you can apply a GUF if you have any). The following restrictions for UuAs apply though:

Summary guide to bookings which can be upgraded with Avios:
  • BA issued tickets (can include other carriers) ^
  • TA issued (on BA stock) booking with only BA flights ^
  • TA issued (on BA stock) booking with other carriers
  • Tickets issued on non-BA stock
The rules have previously said that the TA has to issue the ticket in the country of your BAEC membership as well. However, apparently this is not enforced consistently so hopefully this shouldn't be an issue. See these two posts for more information on that point https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29280847-post33.html & https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29282377-post38.html

A BA Holiday booking (flights & hotel) is UuA'able and treated as a TA booking, so a booking including non BA flights could not be UuA'ed. Also a BA Holiday booking which was made using a TA can not be UuA'ed.

Note that even if booked direct with BA on a 125-... ticket you can't UuA BA marketed and AA operated flight. The BA flight must be both BA marketed and operated.

There is more information on UuA'ing TA bookings here.
Old May 21, 2019, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
you can't UuA a TA booking if there are non BA sectors on it. see the summary from the TP run guide:
Thanks Karfa. From your excerpt though, this still seems eligible. The whole ticket is 125 stock but TA issued. All legs are BA operated. One leg, which I'm not trying to upgrade, is IB marketed.

That second category is a bit unclear about what happens in this instance.

Have I misinterpreted this?
Old May 21, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Thanks Karfa. From your excerpt though, this still seems eligible. The whole ticket is 125 stock but TA issued. All legs are BA operated. One leg, which I'm not trying to upgrade, is IB marketed.

That second category is a bit unclear about what happens in this instance.

Have I misinterpreted this?
This should clarify (from KARFA's post):
The BA flight must be both BA marketed and operated.
Old May 21, 2019, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Thanks Karfa. From your excerpt though, this still seems eligible. The whole ticket is 125 stock ie BA issued. All legs are BA operated. One leg, which I'm not trying to upgrade, is IB marketed. Have I misinterpreted this?
Hi.

I think it means that on a ta booking if one leg is not a ba flight that makes the whole ticket and th various legs not upgradeable with avios

Regards

Tbs
Old May 21, 2019, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by megaloman
This should clarify (from KARFA's post):
Ah. I read that as part of the BA Holidays bit and in any case wasn't sure if IB marketed but BA operated was the same as the other way round as written there. Okay, guess I'm stymied!
Old May 22, 2019, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi.

I think it means that on a ta booking if one leg is not a ba flight that makes the whole ticket and th various legs not upgradeable with avios

Regards

Tbs
Finally got around to following the link to the BA travel trade page, and found this:
We only offer upgrades with Avios for flights that are operated by BA and booked under a BA prime flight code. We are unable to offer upgrades where another carrier's flight code is issued on the ticket.
It seems rather odd to me that this means that they cannot upgrade the outbound leg, which is completely compliant with this, purely because the return leg has an IB flight code. Presumably this is not a systems problem but part of them deterring people from using (O)TAs and the drastically cheaper fares that often come up by mixing up the flight codes?
Old May 22, 2019, 2:46 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It seems rather odd to me that this means that they cannot upgrade the outbound leg, which is completely compliant with this, purely because the return leg has an IB flight code. Presumably this is not a systems problem but part of them deterring people from using (O)TAs and the drastically cheaper fares that often come up by mixing up the flight codes?
No, it is to do with the fact that using UuA alters the underlying ticket, and puts control under BA, which is unusual since that normally only happens at T-24, before that control lies with the TA. There is a risk of something going wrong or getting missed in the process. If the entire trip is on BA then it is happy to take the responsibility, but if there is other metal involved then the potential liability for mistakes (etc) is a step too far for BA. This also explains why AUP is ok, not least because the risk is in any case lower, but also because at that point the ticket is under airline control anyway.
Old May 26, 2019, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
No, it is to do with the fact that using UuA alters the underlying ticket, and puts control under BA, which is unusual since that normally only happens at T-24, before that control lies with the TA. There is a risk of something going wrong or getting missed in the process. If the entire trip is on BA then it is happy to take the responsibility, but if there is other metal involved then the potential liability for mistakes (etc) is a step too far for BA. This also explains why AUP is ok, not least because the risk is in any case lower, but also because at that point the ticket is under airline control anyway.
That's a plausible explanation! Given that the entire trip is indeed on BA, does this mean that if UuA space is still available at T-24, they might then be able to do it?
Old May 27, 2019, 1:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
In my experience you can have ‘other metal’ on the booking as long as all flights carry a BA code and it’s a 125- ticket. But you can only UuA for specific sectors within that booking that are operated with BA metal. For example I have a transatlantic return booking which includes an AS-operated sector between Portland and Seattle, but as this also carries a BA flight code and the whole ticket is 125-, I have been able to UuA from W to J for the outbound LHR-JFK BA-operated sector. The Exec Club telephone agents don’t always realise this, hence you may have to call several times before you reach an agent that will do it for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.