Connecting through MAN, International

Old Aug 18, 17, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Connecting through MAN, International

Question about travelling through the UK

I'm flying from PHL - MAN overnight (AA), landing around 8AM, MAN - LHR (BA) a few hours later, spending the evening in London, then LHR - KBP (BA) the next morning. All one PNR.

I think I read that when I land in Manchester, I'll have to pick up my checked baggage and take it through customs. Can I then check the bag in at MAN through to KBP? Or will I need to take it with me for the day from LHR?

Appreciate all responses, I couldn't find a good answer while googling. First time travelling to Europe!
Old Aug 19, 17, 12:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If you are on one PNR then it should be checked all the way to Kiev. You need to enter the UK for the LHR-MAN segment however, so you will have to clear the UK Border at MAN but your bag won't have to do that and in any case customs checking in Europe has largely faded away. Just make it clear to the agents up front that you are not on a European passport so that you join the right queue (probably works to your advantage there).

The only catch is that MAN is not used to transferring bags between flights. They certainly do it, but there is a risk of a misconnect, so best ensure you have whatever you need for a day or two if the bag is delayed.
Old Aug 19, 17, 2:05 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
The only catch is that MAN is not used to transferring bags between flights. They certainly do it, but there is a risk of a misconnect, so best ensure you have whatever you need for a day or two if the bag is delayed.

There are loads of people connecting at MAN these days. T3 is now a FlyBe hub.

There is also an airside transfer at T3, so the OP will go through the immigration and a security check without have to go landside.
Old Aug 19, 17, 8:09 am

Programs: ex-US Gold, Accor Silver, AF apologist
We did PHL-MAN-LHR last year. When we arrived (non-EU passport) the line was LONG and slow (so, it wasn't to our advantage). We were in J and one of the first ones off the plane, but I *think* that the EK flight arrived before us (but not sure). We had a pretty tight connection but did make the MAN-LHR flight (last ones on the plane). Our bag made it to LHR with no problems. It sounds like you have a better connection, so you should be fine.
Old Aug 19, 17, 2:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
If I'm doing a LHR-MAN-LCY transfer on one PNR with plenty of time between flights can I just stay airside and head to the lounge. Had a horrible experience there at security yesterday.
Old Aug 19, 17, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn View Post
If I'm doing a LHR-MAN-LCY transfer on one PNR with plenty of time between flights can I just stay airside and head to the lounge. Had a horrible experience there at security yesterday.
Old Aug 19, 17, 2:40 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
MAN - now that LHR and LGW have improved no end in recent years - is easily the worst place for security that I can think of in Europe, on BA's network, though AMS isn't far behind if you don't have Privium. I don't think I'm known for exaggeration but it's dreadful at peak times. Not so bad if there aren't queues.

Unfortunately you can't rely on an airside transfer. My two recent MAN-LCY flights were airbridged - something of a novelty in itself in terms of Embraer travel in Europe - and the incoming LHR service would have had airside access, but if the gates were different you could have been made to exit. EDI (which I think you know well) is much better for this.
Old Aug 19, 17, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
MAN - now that LHR and LGW have improved no end in recent years - is easily the worst place for security that I can think of in Europe, on BA's network, though AMS isn't far behind if you don't have Privium. I don't think I'm known for exaggeration but it's dreadful at peak times. Not so bad if there aren't queues.
To which end it is - perversely - significantly a better option to turn up (almost) as late as possible for a flight from MAN. As long as you're there by the time check-in closes (and therefore it can't be deemed your fault) the security staff will do everything necessary to get you on your flight, which normally means taking you straight to the front of the queue. Yes this makes it even worse for everyone behind, but it does give even commoners the chance to feel privileged. The airport knows security is bad there but don't want to do much about it, yet at the same time don't want to face airlines annoyed because their passengers miss flights, so they've found an odd halfway house.
Old Aug 20, 17, 8:37 am

Programs: BA
If I'm doing a LHR-MAN-LCY transfer on one PNR
What is the purpose of travelling from Heathrow to LCY via Manchester?

Just curious "Planespotting" a more than acceptable answer, of course!
Old Aug 20, 17, 9:00 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Thomathy View Post

Come on, this is FlyerTalk! It's obviously because there are no direct flights between LHR and LCY
Old Aug 20, 17, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Thomathy View Post

It's try out the First wing once I reach gold and fly an E190 back to LCY
Old Aug 20, 17, 6:04 pm

Unfortunately you can't rely on an airside transfer. My two recent MAN-LCY flights were airbridged - something of a novelty in itself in terms of Embraer travel in Europe - and the incoming LHR service would have had airside access, but if the gates were different you could have been made to exit. EDI (which I think you know well) is much better for this.
In fairness MAN did turn the situation around. I tweeted how bad my experience was, in the search area after I wanted to give feedback and was passed from pillar to post and spoke to a very rude person. I asked if there was an airport duty manager so I could feedback my experience and kudos they said they would send someone to the BA lounge to find they send one of the people that I encountered. After an initial awkward greeting he listened to my concerns and it turns out they hadn't been following SOP for searching bags and he apologised and wished he had time to stop and chat but was heading to an incident. There were signs for flight connections at MAN and from what I recall you could have gone from gate to lounge without going airside but there is the photo recognition part heading to the gate and despite having a BP if I didn't have a photo on there I wonder if would have problems if I stayed airside. I have plenty of time it's just the experience was nasty.
Old Aug 21, 17, 12:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; Priority Club Gold
Security at Manchester is almost bizarrely awful. Huge queues, dreadful staff and a bag search rate that often seems to be one in three.

Its like the bad old days at Heathrow. I don't understand why they perform so poorly.
Old Aug 21, 17, 2:35 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois
Originally Posted by Dr Dave View Post
Security at Manchester is almost bizarrely awful. Huge queues, dreadful staff and a bag search rate that often seems to be one in three.

Its like the bad old days at Heathrow. I don't understand why they perform so poorly.
Because Terminal 3 is now predominantly the domain of Ryanair and Flybe. Those who patronise these carriers do so for a reason and save pennies by stuffing all their worldly goods into their carry-ons to avoid baggage charges. Many are infrequent flyers. The delays start to snowball when Chantelle has to open her bag and take out her clothes for a week in Ibiza to remove the sun lotions she didn't think were liquids because they're creams, then Dean has that bottle of Paco Rabanne which he's going to argue with them over because it's 150mls, but he's used it a few times. Meanwhile, twenty more people have joined the queue...

No wonder the staff are sometimes less than ebullient.

T3 was so nice when it first opened and the Speedmarque proudly flew on the glass wall outside. Today, it's a horrible set-up, unfit for purpose and the Terminal Project to rebuild cannot come soon enough.
gingeola likes this.

Search this Thread