Qatar operated BA route (strike)

Old Aug 23, 17, 5:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by dpfs View Post

No doubt the BA-can-do-no-wrong brigade of this forum will be along shortly to chastise you.
In my experience it's not so much a BA-can-do-no-wrong-brigade; more a can-you-not-continually-ram-it-down-our-throats-on-the-FT-BA-forum-how-good-QR-is-compared-to-BA brigade.
PrimaVista likes this.
Old Aug 25, 17, 4:13 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
I took the 06:55 LHR to MUC booked in CE yesterday. Got to the plane to find it was operated by QR. What a pleasant surprise after a 4:45am start.

Main difference was the very wide and comfortable seat with various electric recline options. Leg room and overall space seemed much better than CW for the rows behind. Service was excellent, although lacking the BA 'warmth' somehow. The breakfast served was nice. I particularly liked having a choice of scrambled eggs or omelette. I chose scrambled which tasted like they were made to order. Not sure if they were or not. Coffee was terrible though. Incredibly worse than BA's! tasted like instant.

My return leg later was in CE. A different experience but kind of reassuringly and pleasantly familiar.

Comparing them side by side I felt it was swings and roundabouts for a flight of this length. I really appreciated the larger seat and greater sense of personal space on QR. On a longer flight it would have made a big difference - closer to a domestic AA F cabin than CE. However I enjoyed CW equally as much in it's own way. The cabin was fine and the service was 'Good BA'.
Old Aug 25, 17, 6:18 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
My BA911 FRA-LHR when booked yesterday was showing as Qatar Operated. BA app shows as BA operated. Flightradar24 shows as QR. Flightaware doesn't list today's flight

i didn't think FRA was MF route
Old Aug 25, 17, 8:44 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL**; HH Diamond
They have been using QR planes on other non MF routes, such as TXL for some time now.
Old Aug 26, 17, 11:38 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold(twice), Hilton Diamond
variable, just like BA

Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland View Post
They have been using QR planes on other non MF routes, such as TXL for some time now.
LHR to KRK last week in CE. Having read about all the QR attention etc incl remembering all the CE names, it was quite mixed. The young FA was indeed very polite, but the CSD rather disinterested. Meal served, then one (half) glass of Castlenau, and crew straight back behind the curtain, where they remained. Had to press the bell for the second half glass. The CSD did "all" the drinks. Tea or coffee not offered.
The return however was very much better, quaintly called by name "John" by delightful young lady, more than enough champagne proactively served by CSD.
Great seats too, never mind the colour, feel the seat pitch.
Old Aug 28, 17, 3:00 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, BA Gold, Hyatt
Back from our trip to Kiev, both of our flights to/from KBP were operated by Qatar. It was a vast improvement over BA. The plane was exceptionally clean and well maintained with nothing falling apart on the interior. I'm not sure when I've last been on a truly clean BA plane, but it's been more than a year, I'd guess, and that includes long haul and short haul in all cabins. The crew were pleasant, friendly, and helpful and did actually use my name when addressing me - which is something I haven't gotten from BA in over a year probably, no matter what class I've flown. I actually saw them helping people put their bags in the overhead even, without prompting or huffing. The little calzone isn't great, but it is better than paying for something that probably tastes about the same, and it was nice to have a free drink on a 3 hour flight.

These flights made me a little sad because I realised just how far BA has fallen. It's really quite a shame.
Old Aug 28, 17, 12:02 pm

Programs: BAEC, EK Skywards, WY Sindbad, Marriott 'Bonvoy' :/, IHG, Hilton Honors, Golden Circle
First BA operated by QR flight from PRG this evening which I *may* have booked after noticing the BA857 was being QR operated >50% of the time and cancelling a flight earlier in the day to try it. Rather looking forward to seeing how it compares!
Old Aug 28, 17, 12:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, HHonors Diamond, Dan Air Lifetime Gold
I had WAW-DOH-PVG booked on QR in J. How delighted I was when the positioning LHR-WAW was changed to QR. I paid 120 to upgrade to J for the experience outbound which beat CE hands down in terms of service, friendliness of staff and meal selection. I'd selected Y exit row on the way back but didn't think to check the effects of the equipment change but had sufficient legroom in 10C - cushioned seat was lovely.
Old Aug 28, 17, 12:38 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, Omni Black, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by TheJayHatch View Post
I've yet to fly on a QR replacement with power. It's clearly not every plane.

A free drink is waiting, although the Cornish Pizza makes me have wistful thoughts of BOB.
In Y, they don't have power. In J, they do. BA has no power on any short haul plane.

Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland View Post
That's because they have been raiding non-MF BA crews to operate other flights, leaving gaps.
Old Aug 28, 17, 1:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Ibis Plat,
Tonight Qatar metal ex GLA to LHR by. A320. nice wee change with full load. Crisps and biccies and free drink with smiling staff. It was the older 320 I think though but row 15 emergency exit seats were fine. Did notice though seat belt signs on at top of decent and tables to be up still 25 minutes from landing.

Last edited by nivsy; Aug 28, 17 at 5:48 pm Reason: Update
Old Aug 29, 17, 3:39 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nivsy View Post
Tonight Qatar metal ex GLA to LHR by. A320. nice wee change with full load. Crisps and biccies and free drink with smiling staff. It was the older 320 I think though but row 15 emergency exit seats were fine. Did notice though seat belt signs on at top of decent and tables to be up still 25 minutes from landing.
This afternoon's BA 0444 LHR-AMS was operated by a QR A320.

I was sat in a standard Y seat and frankly the whole experience was underwhelming:

• Seat pitch seemed tighter than ET (and I had flown ABZ-LHR earlier that day so it was fresh in my mind), though to be fair the seat was soft
  • We were boarding complete several minutes before STD yet there was an incredible amount of faffing about with luggage which meant that in the end we pushed back several minutes late.
  • The CC seemed very disorganised and I got the distinct impression they were not a happy family...
  • Economy trolley had brakes that didn't really work, so pax were having to hold onto it while CC served !!
  • When I had remarked to an agent in the CCR that I was going on a *QR service, she said "Ooh nice, they're still fully catered". Umm no, a pack of Walkers Ready Salted and a couple of biscuits actually...
  • As noted above, seat belt signs on almost from TOD, rather than BA's 10 minutes...

I know that most of the above is not 100% on QR, but even so, I won't be hugging myself with excitement next time I see "Operated by Qatar Airways" on the screens
Old Aug 29, 17, 4:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat.
Recent MUC-LHR on QR - booze available on request. Snacks in WT a yoghurt (Unbelievable sugar content for those who care) and trail mix bar (unbelievable sugar content for those who care).

Pet peeve on these QR flights - (1) again parked at the remote of remote T5C bus gates. Yes, I see some QR 320's at T5a, but the majority are hidden on the T3 borders. Fun to see VA and CX frames being serviced etc. But really not. Just get to t5a please.

(2) The QR S/H habit of preparing the cabin for landing.....45 minutes from wheels down.
Old Aug 30, 17, 1:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Silver
Originally Posted by nivsy View Post
I find that the Qatar crews prepare the cabin for landing way too early ! On a recent flight I knew it would be at least 45 minutes to landing and I was told I couldn't have a second drink because 'we are landing' - we were flying over Belgium at the time ! On the last 3 Qatar flights the whole crew were seated for landing , dimmed lights , trays up at least 30 mins before touchdown.

Give me BA anyday - still drinking my warm champagne as we pull into gate
Old Aug 30, 17, 5:03 am

Flew LHR to OSL this morning on BA762 operated by QR. Normal security looked quicker than fast track as something wrong with one of the scanners so trays and people having to wait. The J lounge seemed a relaxed sort of place but the hot food offering is poor; however, my croissant was good. GF looked much busier although I'm no longer allowed in!

Bus to aircraft. Pleasant greeting from crew and impressed by the seat. Personal greeting by name once seated. Asked what I would like before takeoff. Good service throughout although seat belt sign on for about 20 minutes mid-flight for no apparent reason. Agree with earlier poster that preparation for landing happened very early with everything being done about half an hour away from Oslo.

Toilet clean.

Do we think that passengers will get used to QR and there will be a backlash against the poor BA J provision on short haul once the strike ends?
Old Aug 30, 17, 5:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Purim View Post
Recent MUC-LHR on QR - booze available on request. Snacks in WT a yoghurt (Unbelievable sugar content for those who care) and trail mix bar (unbelievable sugar content for those who care).

Pet peeve on these QR flights - (1) again parked at the remote of remote T5C bus gates. Yes, I see some QR 320's at T5a, but the majority are hidden on the T3 borders. Fun to see VA and CX frames being serviced etc. But really not. Just get to t5a please.

(2) The QR S/H habit of preparing the cabin for landing.....45 minutes from wheels down.
Hidden? Why would they hide the aircraft? Perhaps that aircraft was scheduled to operate a T3 service next?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: