Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Help - 2 4 1 Club bumped to WT+ at check in

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help - 2 4 1 Club bumped to WT+ at check in

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2017, 4:15 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by TPloser
In your scenario of F to J maybe but a J to W maybe not. My only reason for travelling would to be experience a long haul J of F
If the sole reason for travelling is to experience a particular cabin then you have an option to wait for a flight with available seats in the desired cabin. You do not have to accept the downgrade.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by TPloser
In your scenario of F to J maybe but a J to W maybe not. My only reason for travelling would to be experience a long haul J of F and other commitment such as pre-paid hotels would mean I would need to go or loss lots of money in the lower class but the sole purpose of my trip would have been to experience the higher flight cabin using the voucher. I do not think it is unreasonable to want the ability to have this experience represented to me just like it is not unreasonable for BA to give free upgrades when they overbook cabins. I would still be out of pocket as I would need to pay hotels taxis etc when I retried the trip to have the experience in the correct class.

I'm sure a few years ago a lot of people would have said it was unreasonable to expect 600 euros for a flight arriving 4 hours late but now it is often pointed out as a right. This to me seems more unreasonable and it is actually a legal right so reasonable can easily be redefined. I may be in the minority but I feel loss of a hard earned voucher and insufficent avios to allow a repeat attempt is unreasonable. Maybe the answer is somewhere inbetween maybe not.
i think you would actually have a very hard time to convince either BA or a judge that it is a reasonable claim that the primary purpose of a trip from A to B in class X is to experience class X rather than go from A to B so that the downgrade from class X entirely voids the value of the service that you purchased. It might very well be your sole motivation, but I do not think either BA or a judge would likely agree this was a reasonable interpretation.

there is also an issue of proportionality here. If you effectively consider that downgrading is much the same as cancelling, in practice, you'd encourage airlines who have overbooked a flight to just offload passengers altogether rather than downgrading them, and whilst you might think that it is no worse, I doubt many people will agree.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: baec, HHonours
Originally Posted by orbitmic
i think you would actually have a very hard time to convince either BA or a judge that it is a reasonable claim that the primary purpose of a trip from A to B in class X is to experience class X rather than go from A to B so that the downgrade from class X entirely voids the value of the service that you purchased. It might very well be your sole motivation, but I do not think either BA or a judge would likely agree this was a reasonable interpretation.
Whilst I do understand and agree with your statement, some people and I include myself in this use Amex and the 2-4-1 benefit as a means of travelling in a class of travel which may not normally be affordable. So when a downgrade does occur the devaluation of the product is perceived to be much greater

ss
Old Sep 29, 2017, 6:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Andriyko
If the sole reason for travelling is to experience a particular cabin then you have an option to wait for a flight with available seats in the desired cabin. You do not have to accept the downgrade.
Is that always the case, regardless of where you are? Can you absolutely insist that you are not moving from J to W, and do all BA check in agents including outstations and outsourced staff know and understand this as an established position?

I would worry about being bumped off altogether if I just refused to travel in W in this example and do as I was told, especially if say the downgrade was at the gate (or, as in the infamous case of United, once on board).
Old Sep 30, 2017, 12:17 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Well, yes, if you're in no particular hurry to travel and would rather keep the cabin you were expecting/looking forward to, you can ask when the next available flight is. If the delay is acceptable you can request to be rebooked instead of downgraded. This of course works best on routes with multiple daily frequencies.

In an invol situation, the more flexible with timings you are, the more options you may have. Try and avoid insisting/demanding on a specific solution and ask for alternative options such as an hour/day later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.