Wiki Posts
Search

Best crew in the world

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2017, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Platinum Royal Ambassador,GC Elite,HH Gold,DC Gold,*A Gold
Best crew in the world

Have to take my hat off to BA today. I booked assistance as I've damaged my ankle and can't really walk at the moment and it's thrown more than a spanner in the works for our trip to BOS tomorrow.

Anyway so we land at T5 and low and behold they have to use buses and no assistance shows up.. So the captain not happy at this puts me on the crew bus so I can at least get a seat then goes and finds a wheelchair once we hit the terminal.. the crew are giving us tips on where to go and what to do while the captain is pushing me around... you couldnt make it up! These ladies and gentlemen were absolute class
Old Aug 17, 2017, 4:39 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I'm often critical of BA, especially the management. BA has some FANTASTIC crews, I feel sorry for them (especially mixed fleet).
Harry Harry and DrGee like this.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:12 pm

Little surprise on the assistance not turning up but well done to the Captain - I suppose that's partly why they are in that position ^
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:22 pm

Good to hear.
Proves the old adage that if you have content motivated staff taking some pride in their job service will be delivered. Result is happy customers.

Isn't it great how BA management are driving this agenda within the organisation?
argonath likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:49 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Assistance is provided by third parties, Omniserve at LHR I think, and there has been widespread criticism of their performance. I don't know whether they have some sort of monopoly at LHR, but BA management need to put pressure on the contractors as it's letting the side down for a particular vulnerable group of passengers.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:41 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by pennineuk
Assistance is provided by third parties, Omniserve at LHR I think, and there has been widespread criticism of their performance. I don't know whether they have some sort of monopoly at LHR, but BA management need to put pressure on the contractors as it's letting the side down for a particular vulnerable group of passengers.
I agree, assistance at LHR is by far the worst i have encountered.
Most if not all assistance in airports is provided by third parties and they seem to get it right, on our recent trip, EDI,DUB,PHL,LAS, all were top notch taking me to/from aircraft & to/from lounges without a problem LHR on both journeys was a shambles.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I think this illustrates a couple of things. Firstly when something bad happens, in the right hands, service recovery can fully rectify the impact. And secondly how poor things are for those with disabilities at Heathrow. I know BA completely complain to HAL about it, but this is the legal responsibility of airports in Europe. I don't think it's Omniserv per se that is the issue, since they run this facility at other airports and get good ratings. This report came out just over a week ago, it's a pity it came out when many stakeholders would be off work. It is drawn from a large survey of users, organised by the CAA. Four airports came out as poor: Exeter, East Midlands, Manchester and Heathrow. Six came out as "Very good", including GLA and INV. Norwich was given a particular high citing, due to the way it built relationships with disability organisations in East Anglia and their focus on hidden disabilities. EDI was highlighted as an airport that has moved from Poor to Good (20 airports in this group), and that's an Omniserv airport.

http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/...port_FINAL.pdf

Originally Posted by CAA
Unfortunately, substantive issues still exist with the quality of the assistance service provided at Heathrow. Heathrow regularly asks for feedback from users of the assistance service through a passenger survey and the results of its survey show that, of those passengers that completed the survey, just over 60% rated the quality of the assistance service as unsatisfactory
Disembarking was particularly highlighted as a problem area.

Originally Posted by CAA
Having raised these issues with senior management at Heathrow, the CAA has secured commitment from the airport, in the form of written undertakings to the CAA, that it will develop and implement a performance improvement plan to ensure that it is able to provide a consistent and high quality assistance service to disabled people and people with reduced mobility. The performance improvement plan will include the provision of a continuous assistance service for passengers arriving on inbound flights, ensuring that there will be no breaks in the service for these passengers and reducing the waiting times for assistance.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:05 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think this illustrates a couple of things. Firstly when something bad happens, in the right hands, service recovery can fully rectify the impact......
I would go so far as to say (and this is a general not an airline thing) that service recovery done well (and I mean really well) can be a massive differentiator, at least for me personally.

Anyone can run a consistent level of service when the gremlins aren't running amok through their logistics, but the way that problems are overcome really shows up a company in good or bad light.

Why? It's simple imho - this is where, even in the modern, increasingly electronic and automated age, the most 'high touch', human interactions occur.

At which point you want three things;

Staff with an attitude that they take personal responsibility for rectification of whatever the situation is, and to try and do so with as much good grace as they can muster, given the severity of whatever the disruption is

Empowerment from management for said staff to use SOME measure of personal judgement and common sense in order to find the best / most creative route. Reduction to a minimum the instances of 'Sorry, computer says no!';

Clear and regular communication for longer timeline issues, to remove the feeling of disempowerment from customers. This also has the double benefit, not visible and often not well understood by organisations, that customers, armed with all current information, are more likely to take proactive decisions of their own (call time on waiting for a rebooking on same day and get an airport hotel so they can turn up refreshed again tomorrow or whatever - just an example). Why is this important? Because there is an uplift in mood from simply being proactive a lot of the time, and also less likelyhood of feeling that absolutely everything that happens is being 'done to them' by the airline. If people don't make any personal decisions, it's unlikely they'll feel any personal responsibility for the outcomes. Whereas if they get facts (or even get an honest assessment of what the knows and unknowns are) they make decisions and get a buy-in to the results.

Seems basic but I see it fail in organisations over and over again. And the airline and airport management industry is in that negative sweet spot ('sour spot'???) of having a logistically complex operations model, with very high touch interactions when things go wrong, and a customer base that have a big emotional stake in it's smooth running (whether it's a biz trip or a holiday, flights not happening / baggage missing etc is almost always a huge pain).

So it's high stakes logistics.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 2:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Platinum Royal Ambassador,GC Elite,HH Gold,DC Gold,*A Gold
Manchester were amazing with assistance 10 mins from being collected to being in the lounge. Then took me to plane door with a smile and conversation about AA pulling out of MAN. Couldn't fault them at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.