Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

App Upgrades (AppUp) tracking and discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 23, 2017, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mjh0
This thread concerns the new (August 2017) option of being able to upgrade your bookings via the BA App - both Android and iOS versions, after Online Check-in, hereafter known by the unofficial title of AppUp.

This is an emerging feature, more details will follow as we find out more about this. See post 2 for a few more specifics.

Please list the destination, along with the price in its respective currency, followed by the month and year it was offered.

Short haul routes from LON to/from Europe
  • ARN - £89 (Aug, Oct 2017)
  • BRU - £79 (Oct 2017)
  • EDI - £79 (Aug 2017)
  • FRA - £49 (Oct 2017)
  • GLA - £75 (Aug 2017)
  • MAN - £59 (Aug 2019)

Long haul routes from LON
  • CAI - £100 [WT > WTP] (Oct 2017)
  • EWR - £333 [WTP > CW] (Nov 2017)
  • NBO - £359 [WT > WTP] (Nov 2017)
Print Wikipost

App Upgrades (AppUp) tracking and discussion

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
In both cases I think it is unlikely, particularly if its a QF booking, but that's just a guess on my part. AppUps are essentially late running POUGs and both cases wouldn't normally get POUGs. BA Holidays is usually OK for AUPs, I think QF may be tricky for AUPs due to the lack of an underlying public fare. But as ever, real experiences are good to hear about so it would be good if you report back.

I will wait and see! I hoped that maybe once the booking passed to airline/airport ops at OLCI something might give.

Was able to completely amend a travel agent booking to new dates (months away) at OLCI. But that was just the flight. Before OLCI was always being referred to the original booking agent.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Checked in online today (t-24) as I went through the process I noticed that my seat had changed from 12D to 1D

Seems like I was upgraded during checkin, never experienced this before and it was a nice surprise! Flight is LGW-AMS. What’s even better is that I was booked on a hand baggage only fare and now I get 40 TPS & 1000 more Avios
Old Dec 8, 2017, 9:14 pm

If you mean you didn't pay, it's a Op-Up then you will only get the points from your original booking (unless there is an error but small chance of that !)
Old Dec 8, 2017, 11:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by sammyg901
If you mean you didn't pay, it's a Op-Up then you will only get the points from your original booking (unless there is an error but small chance of that !)
correct, I didn’t pay. I think there may be a glitch in the system, as the app shows 45 TP will be awarded.

However, I have been awarded Avios and TP for cabins I have upgraded to using Avios. Eg WTP - CW using Avios but I was awarded CW Avios and TP. Is this normal?!
Old Dec 20, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
During browser checkin for EDI-LHR I was offered an upgrade in a different style to the normal POUG. Price was also different, being the AUP £69 rather than POUG £65.

Same offered showed on Android app. I wonder if this is the convergence of pricing and experience for xUP mechanisms?
Old Mar 31, 2018, 8:19 pm

Programs: BAEC, AerClub
I'm flying later this month LGW to Malta one way, and have the upgrade availability in the app (and in MMB on the website).
Whilst I would ordinarily jump at the opportunity to upgrade, mainly for the 80 tier points, particularly given that I'm not paying as it's a work trip, I cannot in good conscience proceed at the crazy £260.00 BA are asking (same price in App and in MMB).

Is there any likelihood this price will drop closer to the date of the flight or after OLCI?
I did check the airport upgrade thread, and the price mentioned there for a LGW-MLA upgrade at the desk is £105.00 if memory serves.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 5:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Gold
An upcoming booking doesn’t show any upgrade button on the app - either POUG (not expected) but neither the starred upgrade to next available cabin button which all my other recent bookings have.

Is that strange? Worried it’s not ticketed or something? It’s a 241 redemption.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Can't update the wiki yet, but LCY-AGP 89GBP (14/09/18).
Return on Sunday, but no chance of a POUG, CE all the way back to row 10, and exit row in 12 was all taken before I got there... My only chance is an OPUP.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 10:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by muggle
An upcoming booking doesn’t show any upgrade button on the app - either POUG (not expected) but neither the starred upgrade to next available cabin button which all my other recent bookings have.
If you mean the blue star in a blue box above the Lounge Wi-Fi password, no that doesn't show for redemptions of any description, or non BA channel bookings, and indeed you are unlikely to get a POUG. You will just see 2 parallel lines below the seat change button. I would't read much into that anyway. You should know if you are ticketed by continuing downwards, the ticket number is just below the Aircraft line and above the Other flights in this booking.
muggle likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Gold
Thank you CWS! Much appreciated
Old Jul 29, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Is it just me or has anyone else had issues recently accepting App Up offers?

I got one yesterday went to accept but on the payment screen it failed with a message ‘advise you contact us’. It was on Amex and I got no notification of charge so left it.

A few minutes ago at T72 for my Thursday return, I logged in to try grab a seat further forward in ET. App Up offered again, failed again. I then logged in to ba.com and it worked.

The only discernible difference seems to be the App Up directing to the new design site and the web went to the older design.

Last edited by SHT88T; Jul 29, 2019 at 12:31 pm
Old Jul 29, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by SHT88T
Is it just me or has anyone else had issues recently accepting App Up offers?

I got one yesterday went to accept but on the payment screen it failed with a message ‘advise you contact us’. It was on Amex and I got no notification of charge so left it.

A few minutes ago at T72 for my Thursday return, I logged in to try grab a seat further forward in ET. App Up offered again, failed again. I then logged in to ba.com and it worked.

The only discernible difference seems to be the App Up directing to the new design site and the web went to the older design.
I've had the same thing happen to me last week, I had to use the website from a desktop. I just put it down to BA IT. Got an upgrade both ways LON-EDI for 118 pounds, I thought it wasn't bad for 65 TPs extra (by the TP run thread standards).
SHT88T likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Mrs FO has exactly the same issue on an AUP to AGP. Called up and had a long argument to get the same price on phone as the app offer. She was also trying to use an Amex for what it’s worth.

Definitely a gremlin in the system.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, Honors Gold
Originally Posted by FoxtrotOscar
Definitely a gremlin in the system.
Just had the same issue so it may be a new gremlin. I expect it'll get spotted when the rate of upgrades deviates from the expected pattern.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire Elite
Does BA even do these last-minute upgrade offers via the app any longer? I'm back and forth on them from the US to TLV (Oneworld Emerald, no Avios), but have never seen it pop up on my app.

Last edited by acoburn73; Aug 13, 2019 at 3:33 pm Reason: Wrong page

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.