Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change of flight - Gold

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Change of flight - Gold

Pretty sure one of the advantages of Gold is being able to change your flight at -24 hours to an earlier flight with no charge as long as room on the flight.

1) is that correct?
2) if I'm flying on BA metal from MIA to LHR ticketed by AA would it still be an option?
3) if I have booked an Avios flight LHR to GLA and there are empty seats on an earlier flight but no avios does that also work.

thanks for any help.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 12:12 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by dolfinco
1) is that correct?
No it's not, as far as a I know. There is a somewhat utility-free provision to get space on flights which are full but you certainly have to pay significantly for that, in the unlikely event you can get it to work.

Same Day Change applies to many shorthaul flights, not a Gold benefit.

Avios bookings are changeable up to 24 hours before original departure (fees apply).

Some Avios extra availability shows up for Golds, but typically over the middle distance and in WT/ET only, and on BA metal only.

Avios redemptions do often show up on the day of departure, but if you have a booking already and you're within 24 hours this rarely helps.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
No it's not
+1. Down to the most crucial part of cws's excellent answer.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 1:13 pm

Is the OP AA Gold? So, not BA Gold?

If so, AA does the same day standby change thing - for its own flights only, not BA operated ones.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks CWS

And it's BA Gold.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 4:57 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
No it's not, as far as a I know. There is a somewhat utility-free provision to get space on flights which are full but you certainly have to pay significantly for that, in the unlikely event you can get it to work.

Same Day Change applies to many shorthaul flights, not a Gold benefit.

Avios bookings are changeable up to 24 hours before original departure (fees apply).

Some Avios extra availability shows up for Golds, but typically over the middle distance and in WT/ET only, and on BA metal only.

Avios redemptions do often show up on the day of departure, but if you have a booking already and you're within 24 hours this rarely helps.
I fly AMS->UK a lot, and late in may well use 4500avios+30euro versus 300euro or so per paid Y 1w ticket OR 9000avios+30euro for 1-w J seat.

Just 2weeks ago I asked the AMS BA team 3hr before flight at airport before heading to checkin lines, about avios ticket and swapping AMS-LHR for AMS-LGW as departing 5mins apart, and my train travel after landing for me (going to Croydon) from LGW was 20mins versus 100mins from LHR

Staff happily looked (tried) for me BUT apparently they could not, but only as as I was on award ticket AMS-LHR and the AMS-LGW had no award seats left .... else BA staff said they would have swapped me foc
Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:44 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by scubaccr
Staff happily looked (tried) for me BUT apparently they could not, but only as as I was on award ticket AMS-LHR and the AMS-LGW had no award seats left .... else BA staff said they would have swapped me foc
This is rather non-standard and not in accordance with the normal rules.. Award seat is supposed to be non-changeable and non-refundable within 24 hours of the flight, regardless of your BA status, regardless of the award space available. The flexibility you were offered in this case but for the lack of is not a contractual benefit, let's say.

Some tickets (cash) do come with free change of flight time on the day of the booked flight though.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:34 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Free change on the day is only on short haul routes on fares which include a bag.... subject to availability and only in the same cabin/route/airport...... Although I see the "free change on the day" has been added to Club Europe now too.

Avios bookings - Heathrow seem to make changes on the day if the same Avios booking class is available on the flight you want to change to... but charge Ł60 for short haul and Ł100 for long haul. This is only on the day though and if the same booking class is available (X for economy or sometimes V.. U for Club) If its not on the day its back to Exec club to make the changes.

Gatwick seem to not touch avios bookings on the day, not even for the same Ł60 or Ł100, even if there is avios seat availability on the flight your wanting to change to.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 2:23 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
If I may jump in on this thread and ask a related question (trying to get my head around this). The same day free of charge changes for CE, is this only on single flight itineraries?

My example being, on my trip later in the year, I booked with a 6ish hour buffer on separate tickets from an incoming CX flight connecting AMS-LHR-GLA. Am I right in understanding that this example would not allow a free same day change?

Thanks

S
Old Aug 18, 2017, 2:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Saltire74
If I may jump in on this thread and ask a related question (trying to get my head around this). The same day free of charge changes for CE, is this only on single flight itineraries?
SDC tickets are available in Plus fares and many CE fares, but only as standalone, point to point, single or return tickets on BA metal. More details in this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...change-ba.html
Old Aug 18, 2017, 4:58 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
SDC tickets are available in Plus fares and many CE fares, but only as standalone, point to point, single or return tickets on BA metal. More details in this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...change-ba.html
Thanks CWS

S
Old Sep 16, 2022, 1:11 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Is same day change permissible to a different London airport on a paid CE ticket in I class as a GGL. More specifically, can EDI-LCY be changed to EDI-LHR on day of travel at check-in? And if so, can it be done online/app, or on phone or in person at EDI? Thanks!
Old Sep 16, 2022, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by AJLondon
Is same day change permissible to a different London airport on a paid CE ticket in I class as a GGL. More specifically, can EDI-LCY be changed to EDI-LHR on day of travel at check-in? And if so, can it be done online/app, or on phone or in person at EDI? Thanks!
That sounds like you are trying to do SDC / FCOD, for which there is a dedicated thread. FCOD generally can be used on CE tickets, but various rules apply including the need for it to be standalone single or return. But changing airports isn't allowed, you have to stay on the same departure and arrival airports.
AJLondon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.