Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paid Upgrade to CE but no CE Meal

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2017, 4:41 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
The Purser should have known before the door closed that she was not catered - this is ridiculous. This is not some remote outstation. I agree that you should stop the payment if you can and complain big time.

I assume that you could drink from the CE bar, or was she proposing drinks from the back?
mrow likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A, Marriott
I am reading more and more of issues that seem to stem from a poor integration of passenger information and supply chain. If BA wants to minimise waste (such as not over-catering) they need to improve this substantially.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is a failure of BA's systems integration. As soon as the CE seat was sold, a system responsible for the catering count ought to be increased by 1.

If BA can't acommodate that simple level of integration, it either ought not to sell the upgrades past a cut off time (certainly not at the airport) or it ought to make clear and have the passenger acknowledge that CE catering will not be available.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:54 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
It sounds like this is a LCY / CityFlyer issue. Heathrow and Gatwick tend not to have this issue. At outstations, the issue is simply because BA return cater and won't uplift additional catering! I agree that you should be Informed of this when you upgrade. Of course, someone might decline a meal and you might still get one.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:21 am

If BA offers a special upgrade at check in,with all the info about meals etc available at that time,enticing the OP to pay more,then that is just pure deceit to turn around and say sorry no meal.I would demand my money back.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life, EK, AC, VS, Accor Platinum, Hyatt, Marriott, Jumeirah
Originally Posted by rapidex
If BA offers a special upgrade at check in,with all the info about meals etc available at that time,enticing the OP to pay more,then that is just pure deceit to turn around and say sorry no meal.I would demand my money back.

Sounds like a screw up. I've been refused an upgrade a couple of times at outstations (eg. IST), despite seats being available, due to the lack of catering available on board.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Guy Traveller
Sounds like a screw up. I've been refused an upgrade a couple of times at outstations (eg. IST), despite seats being available, due to the lack of catering available on board.
Screw up or not,if BA had promotional material at check in,and were actively soliciting passengers to pay for upgrades,they cannot just say no meal after their check in literature was stating one of the benefits of paying was a meal.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 12:29 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Guy Traveller
Just to welcome you to Flyertalk Guy Traveller, and welcome naturally to the BA Board. Thank you for sharing your experiences, and I hope you will be able to share more going forward. Welcome on board.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold for Life, EK, AC, VS, Accor Platinum, Hyatt, Marriott, Jumeirah
Originally Posted by ulxima
Flight BA 8767: LCY-ZRH
Special upgrade offer at check-in with all the sparkling information about champagne and meals and blah, blah, blah.
Ok, do you know what? I take it!

The poor purser approaches me soon after take off:"I am sorry Sir but we do not have a meal for you but I can cater from..."
Horrified by the Operational Upgrade story I politely declined "Oh, no problem at all Madam, a glass of water is more than enough for me".

We were three passengers in CE, two of us without meal.

Now I am really curious to read what kind of arguments you may possibly write in defence of such poor service.
I remind you, the airline lured me into upgrading to CE by promising this and that and not delivering it!

Ulxima
Old Aug 17, 2017, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Just to welcome you to Flyertalk Guy Traveller, and welcome naturally to the BA Board. Thank you for sharing your experiences, and I hope you will be able to share more going forward. Welcome on board.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by rapidex
Except BA don't offer AUP at LCY, so it would have been a POUG? I'm frequently told when enquiring at LCY, if I want to upgrade, they would calculate the fare difference and catering is not guaranteed.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

Many thanks. Appreciate the welcome.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 4:48 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
On other 'decent' airlines , when asking for a late paid upgrade to J or F, sometimes at gate, I am sometimes turned down, after gate staff made a phone call, and told reason is sometimes they could not get the needed extra J/F expedited meal(s) to their plane for me in new class before departure.

However for LCY CE, what is the accounting here, a few extra meals at some cost versus the extra revenue of upgraded flier

OHHHH ... I forget, BA take the extra dosh and then say tough, no meal loaded !
Old Aug 17, 2017, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by CitySlacker
Except BA don't offer AUP at LCY, so it would have been a POUG? I'm frequently told when enquiring at LCY, if I want to upgrade, they would calculate the fare difference and catering is not guaranteed.
It does sound like a POUG...and means BA had even more time compared to an AUP to get a meal sorted. Bit of a mess on their part.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:13 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by scubaccr
On other 'decent' airlines , when asking for a late paid upgrade to J or F, sometimes at gate, I am sometimes turned down, after gate staff made a phone call, and told reason is sometimes they could not get the needed extra J/F expedited meal(s) to their plane for me in new class before departure....
Which is what typically happens on BA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.