Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Are BA Award cancellations still (almost) free?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are BA Award cancellations still (almost) free?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Bumping this up -- just to confirm if I've got a flight that cost 55k + $450 avios with BA/AA flights (that was the full price -- not an Avios + Cash option), if I cancel I'll either get the full $450 or else get $395 (less the $55 fee)?

This was a OW and the RT Y fare just dropped to $550 so would rather have the Avios back and just pay straight cash for the flights
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Duke787
Bumping this up -- just to confirm if I've got a flight that cost 55k + $450 avios with BA/AA flights (that was the full price -- not an Avios + Cash option), if I cancel I'll either get the full $450 or else get $395 (less the $55 fee)?

This was a OW and the RT Y fare just dropped to $550 so would rather have the Avios back and just pay straight cash for the flights
If you cancel more than 24 hours before the first flight you get all avios back and the cash back minus the cancellation fee of $55 per person.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by flyingnomad
In my experience this typically happens when there have been multiple online changes or even one manual change made to the original reservation over the phone. Such changes appear to prevent the online cancellation tool from being able to figure out what is owed back to you and how much (cash and/or avios), and forces the cancellation into a manual queue as indicated upthread.
In my case I've just had to cancel a reward flight in May and an aircraft type change messed up the booking meaning it had to go to manual refund. Has a 2-4-1 expiring in May on it as well so hoping it doesn't take too long.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:15 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
I had to change my flight within 24 hours of departure. Worked with a very helpful agent over in their Hong Kong call center. A few data points:
  • Cancelling within 24 hours of departure results in forfeit of Avios and a $55 fee
  • Changing within 24 hours of departure only requires the $55 fee (no forfeit, no additional Avios required)
  • Even though BA seems to have no CX availability within a few days of departure, the agent was somehow able to see award space that I can't find on the website and change my flight to an alternative that was departing within 48 hours.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:57 am

I have an award reservation with 2 adults and 1 lap infant. Due to unforeseen circumstances, we are not taking the baby with us on this trip. Does anyone know if I cancel the infant ticket, would it be $55? If so, since it only costs 450 avios for the infant, can we just no show the infant? Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:43 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by pointsifu
I have an award reservation with 2 adults and 1 lap infant. Due to unforeseen circumstances, we are not taking the baby with us on this trip. Does anyone know if I cancel the infant ticket, would it be $55? If so, since it only costs 450 avios for the infant, can we just no show the infant? Thanks in advance.
You will never be charged more than any taxes and fees that you have already paid. So if you cancel you'll get the measly avios back whereas if you no show then you won't. BA don't ever charge on top of money already paid for reward bookings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.