Community
Wiki Posts
Search

On-board Injury Advice

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:52 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
A lot of "whiplash" claims are apparently b.s., but I saw her live through her problems.
As a side tangent, I was rear ended about 25 years ago. To this day I cannot turn my head to the left and hold that position for more than about 1 min without pain. If I am talking to someone seated to my left I have to turn my chair and face them, I can't turn my head and make eye contact. If I talk to a seatmate on a plane I have to keep facing forward.

Head and neck injuries can be serious, and take a while to develop. Soft tissue injuries also seem to be mostly uncurable, so do make sure you know the extent of your injuries before settling with BA.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 2:28 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
As far as the OP goes, only he is really in a position to decide whether the compensation offer for that event is something which he is happy to accept.
As we seem to be into nit-picking over nuances of terminology : it's best not to assume genders on FT .....
Old Aug 17, 2017, 3:53 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
I am in general terms extremely anti the whole 'where there's a blame there's a claim' culture that is increasingly the default position in the Western world these days (not making any statements about any of the injuries described on this thread - I am entirely happy to believe these are all genuine.

But that being said, if I were in a similar position I would personally probably not accept the 30k Avios for one reason and one reason only - that they are essentially not even guaranteed to be useable within the BA world.

As I understand it there is no guarantee ever that these can be utilised on a given booking to upgrade etc - it is entirely discretionary on the part of BA, and based upon availability.

So to me, while they are PROBABLY worth x, there is a non zero chance they are worth 0 when you come to actually try and use them. So they are in my mind less useful than hard cash and less appropriate as compensation. Even some sort of an upgrade voucher would be a better option methinks. And all this is assuming of course that there are no longer term effects from the incident.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 4:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
As we seem to be into nit-picking over nuances of terminology : it's best not to assume genders on FT .....
The trying to pretend that not asking for compensation by calling it something else is not the same as using the masculine pronoum rather than referring to the person as "it"
Old Aug 17, 2017, 4:51 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
He, she, or it are irrespective. To be able to give proper and suitable advice, we need more facts.

However, I do have this sinking feeling that BA (and others) may have covered their backsides for this sort of eventuality under Terms and Conditions of Carriage. How many times have I seen things falling out of lockers because the bin latch was not full engaged? When people bring items on board which are unbelievably heavy, this can be the result. This is a really interesting line of inquiry because if the bin is already shut. Was it a crew handbag that went in last? We just do not know.

I'm intrigued as well about the two black eyes - but then I cannot see from here where exactly the injury was sustained.

I await with interest.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:36 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
The other thing that presumably drives crew nuts is that they do the rounds shutting all the bins, then maybe the pushback doesn't quite happen on time, and so people then often go and get one more thing from their bag. Thus increasing the likelyhood again that the bins aren't all fully latched.

Plus of course these days many people seem to try and cram their entire worldly posessions into their carry on luggage (yours truly included at times).
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: not a lot
Where there's blame there's a claim.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by LiviLion
Where there's blame plane there's a claim.
Fix it
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Interesting replies, I would happily take it and move on.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:10 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
There's been more than one occasion on more than one airline where I've got up out of my seat to properly close an overhead locker after the crew thought they had closed it properly. Don't particularly fancy one opening up and the contents flying towards me as we're hurtling down the runway or taking off.

S

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.