Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Avios bookings & BAEC earnings on Air Berlin [following AB's filing for insolvency]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 26, 2017, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Originally Posted by British Airways Flight News

Will I continue to be able to earn and redeem on Air Berlin following the announcement that Air Berlin is currently undertaking insolvency proceedings?

Answer Id 5965 | Updated 25/08/2017 03.10 PM (UK time)

Summary
We appreciate some of our Members may be aware of our fellow oneworld airline partner Air Berlin, whilst still operating is currently undertaking insolvency proceedings. You may further be aware that Air Berlin has notified its own frequent flyer program members that mileage accrual and redemption is unavailable at this time on both Air Berlin operated flights and that of Air Berlin's airline partners, which includes British Airways.

More information
British Airways would like to assure customers that we will honour all award miles for flights taken on Air Berlin flights up to and including November 15. We have been advised that the ability to make new redemption bookings on Air Berlin is not possible however, Air Berlin have assured us all existing redemption bookings for travel on Air Berlin up to and including 15 November will be honoured. We are awaiting further guidance as to what the arrangements may be for travel after this time and will advise our customers accordingly when this becomes clear. This does not affect any other oneworld tier benefits Members may be eligible for.

In the event any of the above changes, we will send out further information of course notify our customers at the very earliest opportunity.
Earnings information was superseded on 1st September:
https://ukprepin.custhelp.com/app/an...WmtUcmVPcm4%3D
Question
Following the announcement that Topbonus, the company operating Air Berlin’s frequent flyer programme, filed for insolvency on 25 August, British Airways has suspended their frequent flyer agreement with Air Berlin effective from 31 August.

Answer
Please note whilst it will not be possible to make new reward bookings on Air Berlin, we are advised by Air Berlin that any existing bookings will be honoured.

BA Executive Club Members will no longer be able to collect Avios or Tier Points on bookings made on Air Berlin for travel from 2 September, British Airways will ensure any miles earned through to this date are honoured.

Customers who book under a British Airways flight number on Air Berlin operated flights will remain unaffected and continue to earn Avios and Tier Points.

All other oneworld status benefits will continue to be offered by Air Berlin.
Print Wikipost

Avios bookings & BAEC earnings on Air Berlin [following AB's filing for insolvency]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond

If you have an avios booking, say from JFK-DUS booked with avios on Air Berlin (with the extremely low taxes), and if, as expected Air Berlin no longer exist next year what would happen with your booking?

I would expect BA to reroute you on JFK-LHR-DUS and would be unlikely to ask for the extra taxes.

Not a game I plan on doing, but as redemptions are still showing on Air Berlin, it might be an interesting gamble for someone.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
I don't see that much risk if you use Avios and the flights are cancelled (for whatever reason). However, I would be much less confident about a cash booking.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:19 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by englisha
If you have an avios booking, say from JFK-DUS booked with avios on Air Berlin (with the extremely low taxes), and if, as expected Air Berlin no longer exist next year what would happen with your booking?

I would expect BA to reroute you on JFK-LHR-DUS and would be unlikely to ask for the extra taxes.

Not a game I plan on doing, but as redemptions are still showing on Air Berlin, it might be an interesting gamble for someone.
See this thread What would happen to a reward booking on HG if AB went to the wall?

It seems when Malev went bust BA did allow reroute on to BA flighgts or refund - see post 3. Whether that happens for AB I guess we don't know atm.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:14 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by KARFA
See this thread What would happen to a reward booking on HG if AB went to the wall?

It seems when Malev went bust BA did allow reroute on to BA flighgts or refund - see post 3. Whether that happens for AB I guess we don't know atm.
I can't believe I don't know the answer to this, but are all Avios booking made through BA.com issued on BA stock? Regardless of carrier?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:17 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
I can't believe I don't know the answer to this, but are all Avios booking made through BA.com issued on BA stock? Regardless of carrier?
Yes, all 125-... tickets. This is the same for revenue or reward bookings.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:18 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Interesting. Thanks.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:25 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
If they are 125 tickets, does that not put BA on the hook for refund/reroute? Obviously cash bookings directly with AB are different.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by gustavmahler
If they are 125 tickets, does that not put BA on the hook for refund/reroute? Obviously cash bookings directly with AB are different.
BA would be within their rights to refund you the Avios and tax paid and that's that, provided it's not within 14 days of your flight.

Reading those older threads it appears that they did offer reroutes when Malev went to the wall, BUT this is a very different BA today than they were back then.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:32 am

BA would be within their rights to refund you the Avios and tax paid and that's that, provided it's not within 14 days of your flight.

Reading those older threads it appears that they did offer reroutes when Malev went to the wall, BUT this is a very different BA today than they were back then.
Totally agree! However, given that the booking is with BA, is it not their responsibility to get you there?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by gustavmahler
Totally agree! However, given that the booking is with BA, is it not their responsibility to get you there?
Someone better versed in policy than I will be along to clarify, but I believe if they reimburse you in full they have no other obligations.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:57 am

Someone better versed in policy than I will be along to clarify, but I believe if they reimburse you in full they have no other obligations.
Ah, OK. Useful to know.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 4:05 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C

Agreed. I would read it that BA are AB's agent in this case, not your contractual counterparty. I wouldn't even make a distinction for 14 days: are you basing that on EU261: I would say that only puts obligations on AB as the operator.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 6:46 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
As BA is not the operating carrier, I don't see how EU261 would apply to it? BA is acting merely as an agent when it sells tickets for flights on other airlines. In theory BA should follow AB's policies for any cancelations/schedule changes, but if AB no longer exists then BA can come up with its own policy for affected ticket holders.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 6:51 am

TXL as the next base for Level perhaps?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
TXL as the next base for Level perhaps?
Yes, also thought this, LEVEL could probably do quite nicely on TXL-LAX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.