Search

AMEX welcome offer

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2017, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avios
Smile AMEX welcome offer

Hi,
I believe that American Express British Airways had a welcome offer to new joiners: 10,000 Avios on Classic Card and 30,000 Avios on Platinum Card if you spend 3,000 pounds in the first 3 months. The offer was valid till 31 July 2017.
I applied for AMEX Platinum at the end of July to benefit from the offer and received my card in August. AMEX call centre told me that I would only receive 25,000 Avios if I spend 3,000 pounds in the first 3 months [their current welcome offer]; that they have not been offering a welcome bonus of 30,000 Avios for several months however they would honour the offer if I provide a screenshot of it.
I have not taken a screenshot of the offer... [but from now on it will become my best practice with AMEX and BA]

I wonder if anyone else has seen that offer, perhaps someone has taken a screenshot?
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:48 pm

Mary - pretty sure that the bonus back in June was only 25,000 avios....
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
You could try looking on Head For Points (other similar sites are available) as Raffles usually lists this sort of offer.

You'd likely only have to look in the last couple of weeks in July posts as he usually does a round up of offers closing soon. But TBH if he hasn't listed it as 30k then it's likely you made a mistake.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Aug 15, 2017 at 10:17 pm
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:10 am

Programs: IHG Platinum; Marriott Silver; Avis president's: Hertz President's
There seems to be a (targeted?) higher bonus for golds without the card. (They exist, I know one.)
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:57 am

Programs: Gold Actually
I received a targeted email for these as well. Went for the 'normal' amex with a 10k bonus on £1k spend in 3 month. Applied on July 10th, cards arrived a few days later. Now spent over the £1k and the 10k avios bonus has appeared on my statement to be transferred at the end of the month. Will never spend £20k in a year for the voucher, so will now go back to using my Lloyds cards to collect avios
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:15 am

Programs: BA Silver
Do you have the BA premium plus card or the Amex Platinum card? It is not clear from your post. The latter does offer 30k Membership Rewards points but not Avios. Don't recall the BA card offering 30k Avios recently.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:45 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by Jetstreamer
Do you have the BA premium plus card or the Amex Platinum card? It is not clear from your post. The latter does offer 30k Membership Rewards points but not Avios. Don't recall the BA card offering 30k Avios recently.
+1

The BA Premium card offers 25k avios for spending £3k in 3 months. This has been the enhanced offer for a couple of months.

The Amex Platinum (silver card, not BA branded) offers 30k Membership Rewards points for spending £2k in 3 months.

Which card do you have?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:46 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, GFL
I was targettted for the same 30k offer on the £195 card. I'll dig out the email if I still have it and PM it to the op.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Mary_
I have not taken a screenshot of the offer... [but from now on it will become my best practice with AMEX and BA]
AMEX unfortunately do shift their offers on a regular basis and with the best will in the world it's difficult for both customer and corporation to keep on track of it. For screen shots, Google Drive may well be the easy way to archive screen shots, though occasionally one may need to do some file renaming and shifting to Folders. The way this works is that after you have set up a Google Drive account in the cloud, you can file screen shots from all of your gizmos by the simple expedient of Printing to Google Drive, it's a new printer device in addition to any printer hardware you have, so a PDF ends up in Drive. Screenshots are now a way of life in many areas, in the case of BA it's important to use them for recording the amendment conditions during the booking process.

But welcome to Flyertalk Mary_, and welcome to the BA forum, I hope you get this issue sorted quickly, so that you can move on to telling us what you have done with your new Avios collection.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:01 am

Programs: BAEC
I signed up for the BAPP on 9th June. Bonus was 25k for £3k spend in 3months.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:02 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by AdBoy
I was targettted for the same 30k offer on the £195 card. I'll dig out the email if I still have it and PM it to the op.
Me too, I still have the email, sent 26th July for applcaion before 30th July, 30,000 on the Premium Plus. DM me also if you like.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all your responses! I was so frustrated with Amex response and had doubts in my sanity. I have seen the offer couple of times on Facebook and it came up on BA web-site when I changed my address there. I have recently moved back to the UK and have a Star Alliance Gold card and Platinum Amex from a foreign bank.

Please PM all the offers you have. I hope that after that Amex won't say that they have never had that campaign.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
AMEX unfortunately do shift their offers on a regular basis and with the best will in the world it's difficult for both customer and corporation to keep on track of it. For screen shots, Google Drive may well be the easy way to archive screen shots, though occasionally one may need to do some file renaming and shifting to Folders. The way this works is that after you have set up a Google Drive account in the cloud, you can file screen shots from all of your gizmos by the simple expedient of Printing to Google Drive, it's a new printer device in addition to any printer hardware you have, so a PDF ends up in Drive. Screenshots are now a way of life in many areas, in the case of BA it's important to use them for recording the amendment conditions during the booking process.

But welcome to Flyertalk Mary_, and welcome to the BA forum, I hope you get this issue sorted quickly, so that you can move on to telling us what you have done with your new Avios collection.
Thank you
Wow! That a useful feature, I did not know. Will try it today
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pauldb
+1

The BA Premium card offers 25k avios for spending £3k in 3 months. This has been the enhanced offer for a couple of months.

The Amex Platinum (silver card, not BA branded) offers 30k Membership Rewards points for spending £2k in 3 months.

Which card do you have?
I have BA Amex Platinum, perhaps I should have gone for unbranded Amex Platinum. I have not done any research, just so that offer and decided to apply as I needed a UK credit card anyway.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
You could try looking on Head For Points (other similar sites are available) as Raffles usually lists this sort of offer.

You'd likely only have to look in the last couple of weeks in July posts as he usually does a round up of offers closing soon. But TBH if he hasn't listed it as 30k then it's likely you made a mistake.
Great idea, I will check the forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.