FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   EX-EU Back to Back and Baggage Check in (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1861179-ex-eu-back-back-baggage-check.html)

silverfc Aug 15, 2017 2:18 pm

EX-EU Back to Back and Baggage Check in

Could someone confirm whether its possible to check in baggage for the long haul sector - before departing for the positioning flight for the start of the ex-EU itinerary?

I think that is is - but could do with something definitive...

Many thanks

windowontheAside Aug 15, 2017 2:20 pm

It is possible as I've done it. But it's not clear whether agents are supposed to do it.

Cymro Aug 15, 2017 2:35 pm

I've had an agent try this at the first wing, but he was unable to do it with Fly.

However, he did seem quite inexperienced and I had a long layover, so I didn't push it.

konagirl2 Aug 15, 2017 4:05 pm

I had a problem with this in July. Apparently the system recognised that I was leaving the country and so it wouldn't check in (print the bag tag) for the later flights. The Club check in staff was lovely and called through to the back office to get the explanation. She said she had never had a problem before, that usually passengers left their bag to go into London, that they mark the system to say the passenger is leaving the airport, but on this journey the system blocked the bag tag because of my flight out of the UK.

Detail was, I had an Avios redemption LHR-FRA followed by a later (not b2b) FRA-LHR-SYD. Therefore my BAEC number was on both flights and my passport number in API. I didn't have a long layover on the way back through, so elected to haul the bag to FRA and back, but with a longer layover it would have been ok to leave the bag in left luggage at LHR.

I would be interested to know for those people having done this successfully, how recent, was your positioning with BA and was it domestic/CTA?

golfmad Aug 15, 2017 6:54 pm

The fall back position is of course just to leave the baggage at left luggage (next to M&S in T5). Just don't forget to leave sufficient time collect it and check it in on your way back through.

corporate-wage-slave Aug 16, 2017 1:56 am

Originally Posted by silverfc (Post 28694324)

Definitive is something you will not get, unfortunately.

It can be done technically, sometimes with a bit of effort, but every so often an FTer comes across an agent who recalls a memo that went out a couple of years ago asking staff not to do this.

So by all means give it a go, but have a Plan B ready if Plan A doesn't work out. Apart from Left Baggage, there is also AirPortr, help from friends, use of a car in the car park, and using hotel storage facilities tactically.

jms_uk Aug 16, 2017 2:11 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 28696335)
So by all means give it a go, but have a Plan B ready if Plan A doesn't work out. Apart from Left Baggage, there is also AirPortr, help from friends, use of a car in the car park, and using hotel storage facilities tactically.

Sorry to hijack this thread, what would work the best from LGW in terms of leaving luggage for a short hop to AMS and back?

corporate-wage-slave Aug 16, 2017 2:15 am

Originally Posted by jms_uk (Post 28696364)
Sorry to hijack this thread, what would work the best from LGW in terms of leaving luggage for a short hop to AMS and back?

Same as LHR I would say.

The same company, Left Baggage, has a presence in LGW South and North, same cost. LGW agents tend to be extra friendly so they may go the extra mile, there again Gatwick Ground Services is full of very new staff so I would be careful to ensure you can survive without the checked bag for a day or two.

If you're using the Hilton, Bloc or other hotels then that's another option.

jms_uk Aug 16, 2017 3:40 am

Thanks.

I'll be coming from LHR longhaul and should have plenty of time to check out the options.

I looked into Hilton, but it was cheaper to get a train to BHX and stay at the Metropole [and be half way to home] than staying in either of LGW ones.

AndyFlyer Aug 16, 2017 4:16 am

Originally Posted by silverfc (Post 28694324)
Could someone confirm whether its possible to check in baggage for the long haul sector - before departing for the positioning flight for the start of the ex-EU itinerary?

Many thanks

This question arose back in March with a friend of mine, and it went to a senior BA manager at the airport, who confirmed it was possible, and that staff had been made aware that it was possible. If an agent refuses, it might bode well to politely ask them to check with their manager / a more experienced colleague as this certainly shouldn't be a problem. As mentioned in the thread, sometimes FLY does not wish to comply, but it is possible and isn't against any rules.

If people are having issues, please post and I will ensure the same manager once again reminds staff that is possible.

chris1979 Aug 16, 2017 4:39 am

I am sure I have heard / read that for Goldies, it's generally being done but others might struggle.

silverfc Aug 16, 2017 4:51 am

Thanks for the info.

Left luggage / phone a friend will probably work well on the day in question....

Nightbus to Dalson Aug 16, 2017 5:17 am

I've done it on a number of occasions without a raised eyebrow even though the later LHR segment hasn't been for 5-6 hours.
Mostly via AMS but also once DUB.
It's at least 18 months since I did one but I have one coming up with the whole nightbus so fingers crossed or it'll be an expensive trip to luggage storage as Mrs NtD loves a kitchen sink.

Pilot37 Aug 16, 2017 6:07 am

Jumping into this thread from a different luggage question perspective (i.e. Checking / claiming luggage towards the end of an ex-EU trip) where people have not been able to get the check-in agents to short check a bag, has anybody attempted to reclaim their bag in LHR, but not be off-loaded from their final ex-EU leg? Are the 2 (bag and off-load) mutually exclusive?

I am travelling back from SJC in October with a bag and want to take my last leg, but don't have time to reclaim at my final destination before getting my b2b, so wondering if requesting the bag at LHR, putting it in storage and reclaiming on my b2b return is actually possible without being off-loaded?

Pilot37

golfmad Aug 16, 2017 6:14 am

Originally Posted by Pilot37 (Post 28696860)
Jumping into this thread from a different luggage question perspective (i.e. Checking / claiming luggage towards the end of an ex-EU trip) where people have not been able to get the check-in agents to short check a bag, has anybody attempted to reclaim their bag in LHR, but not be off-loaded from their final ex-EU leg? Are the 2 (bag and off-load) mutually exclusive?

I am travelling back from SJC in October with a bag and want to take my last leg, but don't have time to reclaim at my final destination before getting my b2b, so wondering if requesting the bag at LHR, putting it in storage and reclaiming on my b2b return is actually possible without being off-loaded?

Pilot37

Short-checking a bag should not have any bearing on whether you're off loaded for a subsequent sector. However, it may be a struggle for you to arrange the short-checking at SJC.